Are There Any Universities That Accept A-Level Resits For Dentistry?? Watch

Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I think I know the answer to this, but I need to explore every opportunity possible.

I got a 2.2 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, with A level grades of CCC.

There are 6 universities who do graduate entry. However 5 of these require a 2.1 in Biomedical Sciences and the other a 2.2 but also required in biomedical sciences.

They also only look at you're first degree, meaning if I did biomed it wouldn't be accepted.

I would absolutely LOVE to do dentistry in the UK/Ireland, but it appears every door is shut for me and that my only option is to go to eastern europe.

So I'm wondering if any dentistry courses in the UK accept a level resits. Even if I were to get A*A*A*, would that not be accepted?

Like I say if I have to go Prague or somewhere I will, but I need to know first that its ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE for me to get into a UK/Ireland course first.

Appreciate if anyone could help.
Kartace
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, theoretically i can't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible.

Obviously, the kind of uphill struggle you're looking at is huge, not to mention the financial implications.

You would also be applying against people who haven't done a degree and who are coming straight out of school. (remember you can apply to undergraduate as well as graduate entry courses) But assuming that you have a good application. Good UKCAT (where appropriate) a wide variety of work experience and voluntary work along with a cracking personal statement and then an amazing interview where you're gonna face alot of probing questions about literally every aspect of your education and motivation. Questions like "so why has it taken you so long to decide?" etc.

However, having said that... Universities like Kings and Leeds could be an option. Just remember, as long as you fulfill the entry requirements. You're in with a chance. After that it's all down to the rest of your application and a significant amount of luck also. There are more universities that accept resitters. I think around 5. I'm not sure if there are any conditions surrounding any previous degrees that you've taken. I have a sneaking suspicion that some universities state that they will not consider applicants with a previous degree, unrealated to dentistry or medical sciences. But i could very well be mistaken. I'm sure there will be a couple of unis that you can apply to.

My advice would be, to ring the universities personally. Ask for an interview with the admissions officer. Otherwise you get fobbed off with some standard answers by the secrataries usually. If you ask them to make time to speak to you. You can ask the straight up. What the chances are and what the deal is. They're going to give you far more accurate information that i ever could.

With all that said. I wish you the best of luck, and i really hope things work out for you. If you're really passionate, which i'm sure you are then i'm sure you'll be fine!! Hope to see you around some time in the future.
cptKernow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
According to 'Getting into Dental School' (publ. Trotman, 6th Edition) Cardiff accept A-level resits (AAA). Kings, Leeds and Manchester do also, but it says only in 'extenuating circumstances'.

Have you contacted Cardiff?
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Its ok I've just found out the republic of ireland accept a level resits, which is handy as I live in Northern Ireland.

However minimum points in Ireland for dentistry is 580.

Given that:

A* = 150
A = 135
B = 120

(+25 bonus points for doing maths)

It would mean I need 4 a levels of A*AAA minimum. :eek:

Well at least I've got a target now to aim for.
cptKernow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)

I guess AAA could be your fall back
kaziz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
Its ok I've just found out the republic of ireland accept a level resits, which is handy as I live in Northern Ireland.

However minimum points in Ireland for dentistry is 580.

Given that:

A* = 150
A = 135
B = 120

(+25 bonus points for doing maths)

Hey, did you end up applying to Ireland in the end?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (24)
46.15%
No (28)
53.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise