Turn on thread page Beta

has anyone been on the atkins diet? because i need some information for my english essay, i need the food you ate, if it worked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobilephone)
    has anyone been on the atkins diet? because i need some information for my english essay, i need the food you ate, if it worked.
    No, it didn't work. It made me fatter. Not surprizing since it's really the same diet that Sumo wrestlers follow and since it's founder died weighing in at a whopping 280Ib.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    No, it didn't work. It made me fatter. Not surprizing since it's really the same diet that Sumo wrestlers follow and since it's founder died weighing in at a whopping 280Ib.
    Eating lean meat won't work, as there are lipid stores in the actual muscle itself, and I am not referring to the subcutaneous adipose tissue.

So knowing a bit of Biology, doesn't harm you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, lost 3st ish, works very well If you follow it properly

I ate

-Meat , salad , vegtables , sugar free jelly , drank diet pop/water , etc

ReputationRep:
    im on it for the 3rd time but i dont like most foods you can eat so i stick to eggs and things like burgers and bacon or hot dogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    how did it make u fatter. i thought ur supposed to lose weight on it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes I lost about a stone and a half and felt a lot better - lost many aches and pains and had much more energy.
    Meat or fish plus salads or green vegetables for most meals and scrambled eggs etc for breakfast. At least 2 litres of water a day. really easy and lost my sweet tooth.pm me if you want more info

ReputationRep:
    I personally feel the atkins diet is dangerous due to the fact an entire macronutrient (carbohydrates) is for the most part eliminated.
    For better information read the book, quite a good read if you like science and nutrition as it in many cases his justifications for the things he does is based on pseudo-science.

The diet revolves mainly around the consumption of protein and fats, with minimal carbohydrates (< 30g during induction phase, this can increase over time gradually) coming from fibrous sources like green vegetables some fruit like berries, etc.
    Protein provides the greatest satiety (feeling of fullness) of all macronutrients so people on the atkins diet end up rarely exceeding their caloric intake to maintain weight. As a result a caloric deficit is achieved and weight loss is a consequence. Contrary to popular belief, weight loss arises from loss of fat mass as well as lean body mass (muscle mass). Starving the body of adequate carbohydrates triggers lipolysis to occur (fat is used as the organic molecule fuel source as they offer greatest energy yield, and involves less work to break it down through catabolic reactions than protein does). For this state to be achieved glycogen stores must be depleted, and as there is no short-term energy store fat and protein is used (more so fat). This is ketosis, and is noticable through testing with keto sticks, intense concentrated urine and a kind of disgusting (though atkins himself argued "sweet") breath. If you consume more carbohydrate than stated you may be kicked out of ketosis. Atkins argued aspartame found in diet drinks such as pepsi-max, diet-pepsi, diet coke, etc can possible do the same and inhibits weightloss so there are minor restrictions which don't apply to carbohydrates.

On atkins fibre is counted as a non-digestible carbohydrate so to get the "net impact" carbohydrates subtract the total amount by the amont of fibre. Additionally only mild exercise is accepted by Atkins, athletes have no place on atkins, if they feel like pursuing a low-carb diet many opt for other ketogenic diets such as CKD Cyclic Ketogenic Dieting where after about 5 days of induced ketosis they pig out on carbohydrates to replete glycogen and allow them to train hard - with no fat gain.

Cut a long story short, atkins works but once you go off it and revert to old eating habits weight will inevitably come back as the body will hold onto fat as a respone to being in "starvation mode" - due to little carbohydrates in the diet. It is possible to maintain a weight after the initial gains but many dieters lack willpower and so yo-yo diet thus fundamentally hurting their metabolism (slowing it down).

Foods allowed liberally on atkins - all meats, full fat cheeses, oils, eggs...
    foods allowed generously but not excessively - green vegetables, nuts (they contain carbohydrates so its not an all you can eat item), fibrous carbohydrates basically
    Foods allowed but with caution/monitoring closely - fruits, non-fibrous vegetables like carrots, food sauces/gravy, milk (due to lactose).

Usually starchy foods such as bread aren't allowed, so atkins decided to capitalise and create a low-carb brand of foods such as bread and torilla wraps. These are exceptions to the rule of no starch as they are made to fit the atkins macronutrient profile. Multivitamins are reccomended. Sugar alcohols (eg glycerol) are allowed to an extent as they don't impact the blood stream as much as sugars do, but still be weary of some like maltitol and sorbitol.

Believe it or not this is a brief summary, go read the book to get more information.

ReputationRep:
    That section about the glycogen usage in muscles as stores is rpetty good, but you have to realise that people have 2 types of muscles, Type 1 and 2, and each uses different stores, ie glycogen/glucose and TGs/fatty acids. And with the different percentage of muscle types, we can see different effects on the Atkins diet.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.