Turn on thread page Beta

who is really responsible for haiti's predicament? watch

ReputationRep:
    hi ya all

this is in response to a thread posted earlier about america's involvement in haiti's woe.

it is my OPINION that Haiti's current problems are embedded in its history. Haiti's independence form the french was a very violent and brutal one. And as such no mechanism was put in place to ensure proper economic and political development after slavery was ended. it was the first black state to gain its freedom and needless to say france was not happy neither was the neighbouring countries who felt haiti was a threat to slavery. Haiti had to pay france i think over 20 million francs to gain recognition and that was not fully paid until the early 1900s. this money could have been used to develop the country but it had to be paid over.

2 america's involvement in the early 1900s saw the erosion of haiti's independence and also in the 1930s. and again during baby docs reign in the late 1980s... this was not benefitial to the country.

3 haiti has a history of political uprising since its birth and this has continued. revolutions were paramount. there was constant change from civilian to military rule with haiti in early 1900s changing more than three presidents in four months. this instabilty caused widespread destruction and money for economic growth was plunged into the military to pay for weaponry. haiti's military was massive but other sector of the society paid the price.

4 political corruption and mal practice, the manipulation of religion by officials and the brutality of the Duvalier regime also caused problems for haiti.

I would not be too quick to accuse bush of all of Haiti's problems...
    there are alot of contributing factors to the country's destitution.

ya all think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seana)

I would not be too quick to accuse bush of all of Haiti's problems...
    there are alot of contributing factors to the country's destitution.

ya all think?

I don't honestly see how Bush is responsible for any of Haiti's problems.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.