SupremeNunchucks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello guys ive been wondering..

Are graduates with Petroleum Engineering degree able to obtain a good job with a decent income right after graduation?

Im going to do my A-level this year and I am fairly interested in Petroleum Engineering, but also wondering how much I will make eventually

Thanks!
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Starting salaries are usually between £30-40,000, depending on who you work for and whether they're an operator or services company.
Joe2911
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Depends where you live and what you do as a Petroleum Engineer.
Petroleum engineers in the UK get paid about £30-40,000. In Australia its about £60,000 to start (higher cost of living though). If you are willing to travel to places in the middle East, or go live in Nigeria for a couple of months (no offence to anyone from Nigeria), you'll be looking at a lot of money which I couldn't possibly quote. A friend of mine goes to Baku frequently to work on a project over there, as far as I am aware he is on £110,000+ (he is a reservoir engineer with a degree in Physics and an MBA)

With great risk comes great reward.
IcedTea&PotNoodle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sorry to hijack your thread and no offense intended towards anyone but is it pointless to obtain a phd or any type of degree in petroleum engineering if you can't go to Arab countries or African countries? Perhaps with the exception of the more friendly arab/muslim majority countries such as Azerbaijan, Egypt, Morocco, Turkey. Note that I don't have a problem with Muslims or Arabs but I have family in Israel etc so have Israel stamps in my passport and quite a few countries don't allow people with Israeli stamps to enter.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
Sorry to hijack your thread and no offense intended towards anyone but is it pointless to obtain a phd or any type of degree in petroleum engineering if you don't wish to go to Arab countries or African countries.
Explain your rationale for saying the above.
affleming
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
This. Probably has no rationale.
IcedTea&PotNoodle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by affleming)
This. Probably has no rationale.
(Original post by Smack)
Slightly unnecessary neg rep, whoever did it. I wrote this late last night and I probably should have explained a bit more. Obviously a lot of the high salaried petroleum engineering opportunities are in Arab and African countries in which many I would not be allowed in to with an Israeli stamp in my passport because as I previously stated, I travel there frequently and most of these countries reject Israel's existence and hence don't allow people with a stamp in their passport past border control.

I'm not however saying that opportunities don't exist outside of these countries. That's why I'm asking whether I should perhaps look into another industry if I chose not to work in any of these countries. I hope this makes sense.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Slightly unnecessary neg rep, whoever did it. I wrote this late last night and I probably should have explained a bit more. Obviously a lot of the high salaried petroleum engineering opportunities are in Arab and African countries in which many I would not be allowed in to with an Israeli stamp in my passport because as I previously stated, I travel there frequently and most of these countries reject Israel's existence and hence don't allow people with a stamp in their passport past border control.

I'm not however saying that opportunities don't exist outside of these countries. That's why I'm asking whether I should perhaps look into another industry if I chose not to work in any of these countries. I hope this makes sense.
I didn't neg you, nor did I see you ask anything either.

You certainly don't have to work in the Middle East or Africa if you want to work in the petroleum industry...
IcedTea&PotNoodle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
I didn't neg you, nor did I see you ask anything either.

You certainly don't have to work in the Middle East or Africa if you want to work in the petroleum industry...
I didn't mean it directly towards you. I shouldn't have written it in the quote. It could just be someone watching the thread. I'm not overly bothered but It's happened on both my posts and I can't see why it was necessary (whoever it is).

The question was in the first line, It just wasn't clear sorry. Thanks for your response, I was just worried that most of the high salary jobs are in the Middle east or Africa.
affleming
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't mean it directly towards you. I shouldn't have written it in the quote. It could just be someone watching the thread. I'm not overly bothered but It's happened on both my posts and I can't see why it was necessary (whoever it is).

The question was in the first line, It just wasn't clear sorry. Thanks for your response, I was just worried that most of the high salary jobs are in the Middle east or Africa.
I have now seen your question. should use this mark next time: ?
Rolay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Theres a lot of crude in the form of tar in Canada. Problem is its not sweet crude, it's sour sulpha crude-more refining-more processing-less economically viable- (Future Petroleum Engineer) inshAllah

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
SupremeNunchucks
Rep:
?
Sorry to hijack your thread and no offense intended towards anyone but is it pointless to obtain a phd or any type of degree in petroleum engineering if you don't wish to go to Arab countries or African countries. Perhaps with the exception of the more friendly arab/muslim majority countries such as Azerbaijan, Egypt, Morocco, Turkey. Note that I don't have a problem with Muslims or Arabs but I have family in Israel etc so have Israel stamps in my passport and quite a few countries don't allow people with Israeli stamps to enter.
Well I dont think it is pointless at all, I never knew some arab countries rejects Israelis! Theyre being far too political to be honest, but dont you think those countries doesnt really posses any real power in terms of oil? I currently live in Qatar and theyre one of the biggest powerhouses in the oil industry, they pretty much accept everyone from any culture and any religion. Pretty sure you wont get any problems coming to countries like Qatar or UAE, theyre pretty modern and most of the people here are not really that influenced by the political world, they literally dont discriminate anyone.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You better not have any moral objection to bribery if you go work in some of these places. The ex's brother is azerberjain and it's ridiculous. He says he has to bribe the school teacher at the oil workers school so she doesn't ignore his kids and the cops just pull you over and straight out ask for money.
The israeli passport thing is avoidable though, the israelis ask if you want a passport stamp or a separate piece of paper, used to be something the salesmen at my dads place used to watch out for when they were making bribe delivery tips to arab countries.
SupremeNunchucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
You better not have any moral objection to bribery if you go work in some of these places. The ex's brother is azerberjain and it's ridiculous. He says he has to bribe the school teacher at the oil workers school so she doesn't ignore his kids and the cops just pull you over and straight out ask for money.
The israeli passport thing is avoidable though, the israelis ask if you want a passport stamp or a separate piece of paper, used to be something the salesmen at my dads place used to watch out for when they were making bribe delivery tips to arab countries.
From what I have experienced so far in Qatar, these kind of issues never came up, most likely due to the fact that the people here are usually loaded (esp. the police) and as for the teachers, they usually hire foreign teachers from the UK, Canada etc. I have no idea about the other countries though, but pretty sure it doesnt happen in the 'more modern' gulf countries.
IcedTea&PotNoodle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SupremeNunchucks)
Well I dont think it is pointless at all, I never knew some arab countries rejects Israelis! Theyre being far too political to be honest, but dont you think those countries doesnt really posses any real power in terms of oil? I currently live in Qatar and theyre one of the biggest powerhouses in the oil industry, they pretty much accept everyone from any culture and any religion. Pretty sure you wont get any problems coming to countries like Qatar or UAE, theyre pretty modern and most of the people here are not really that influenced by the political world, they literally dont discriminate anyone.
I know Qatar and UAE reject entry to those with Israeli passports. There's about 20 countries that reject Israeli passports. I have a British passport so this is not an issue.

However I'm not sure about Israeli stamps. I was always under the impression that they both reject people with Israeli stamps however I'm seeing mixed answers on the internet. The only countries I know that reject passports with Israeli stamps are Oman, Libya, Algeria, Somalia, Lebanon, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Kuwait and Iran.

I've never been asked whether I want the stamp in my passport or separately so I'm not sure if it is avoidable. There's quite a few of them too so I there not exactly missable.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know Qatar and UAE reject entry to those with Israeli passports. There's about 20 countries that reject Israeli passports. I have a British passport so this is not an issue.

However I'm not sure about Israeli stamps. I was always under the impression that they both reject people with Israeli stamps however I'm seeing mixed answers on the internet. The only countries I know that reject passports with Israeli stamps are Oman, Libya, Algeria, Somalia, Lebanon, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Kuwait and Iran.

I've never been asked whether I want the stamp in my passport or separately so I'm not sure if it is avoidable. There's quite a few of them too so I there not exactly missable.
could you fork out for a replacement passport (if it was harming your career)
IcedTea&PotNoodle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
could you fork out for a replacement passport (if it was harming your career)
I guess so, I'm not sure if I'd want to go to some of these countries in the first place. I think UAE is the only one I would just about feel comfortable in. I know it sounds stupid but because of my religion etc, I think i'd feel slightly uncomfortable in Arab countries.
wozzers
Report 8 years ago
Hello Guys, i saw this and felt the need to reply, i will not disclose who i work for cause i am unable to to be honest what i will say is my basic was around that number only slightly higher than the maximum number being quoted (they have to compete with the investment banks for the top talent, there isn't such a massive divide between oil companies and investment banks a lot of them like engineering degrees).

I was given a relocation bonus and tuition reimbursement as i received a first from a top university as well as a salary appraisal every 6 months and a very generous end of year bonus, took my total compensation far beyond the number being quoted in this forum.

All i will say is the job doesn't involve as much travelling as you might expect (in the first years) unless you have second language or even a third language like Spanish or Chinese or Arabic.

The job isn't for you if your gregarious (fond of company) even office work can be pretty lonesome. I must stress to you BEng students do your math homework it may seem tedious but do it everyday assiduously.
amhmuf227
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wozzers)
Hello Guys, i saw this and felt the need to reply, i will not disclose who i work for cause i am unable to to be honest what i will say is my basic was around that number only slightly higher than the maximum number being quoted (they have to compete with the investment banks for the top talent, there isn't such a massive divide between oil companies and investment banks a lot of them like engineering degrees).

I was given a relocation bonus and tuition reimbursement as i received a first from a top university as well as a salary appraisal every 6 months and a very generous end of year bonus, took my total compensation far beyond the number being quoted in this forum.

All i will say is the job doesn't involve as much travelling as you might expect (in the first years) unless you have second language or even a third language like Spanish or Chinese or Arabic.

The job isn't for you if your gregarious (fond of company) even office work can be pretty lonesome. I must stress to you BEng students do your math homework it may seem tedious but do it everyday assiduously.

even more importantly i wanted to ask how long did it take you to reach where you are now....isit extremely difficult for petroleum engineers to find a job after graduation and more importantly what are the highest paid positions working for an oil company...im guessing if your doing so well you would have obtained one of them
wozzers
Report 8 years ago
Well I'd say a corporate position these guys make anywhere north of 5 million although they tend to have an MBA or a law degree as well as a masters in petroleum engineering but unless you are willing to dedicate yourself to petroleum engineering for 20+ years forget it if to want to be millionaire before 3b become an investment banker it's not the type of job where you will have 200k bonuses it's well paid but you won't be driving a Ferrari rather a BMW, if you are aspiring for a senior level job then anything up to about 500k is attainable but you will need a minimum of 10 years experience I personally feel its only a matter of time til a senior engineer is on a 7 figure compensation package such is the demand and growth right now and if anything the world is becoming more dependent on oil the only hypothetical fuel source that could make it obsolete is nuclear fusion or sourcing abiogenic oil from other planets or planetary system both of which are hypothetical at this moment in time and will remain within the realm of thought throughout my working lifetime anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (363)
31.95%
No (773)
68.05%

Watched Threads