This discussion is closed.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Opinions please! Good, bad and ugly. Rep for the first decent opinion!
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
Opinions please! Good, bad and ugly. Rep for the first decent opinion!
It's a top uni with a well renowned reputation, and it is one of the top 10 uni's i the UK.

It is very well respected, especially for arts subjects.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what is it?

EDIT: Thanx
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
It's a top uni with a well renowned reputation, and it is one of the top 10 uni's i the UK.

It is very well respected, especially for arts subjects.
Delete some of your PMs please bono
serendipity
Rep:
?
Come on guys i need some help here!!!
suz19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Here's the unofficial uni guide:
http://www.unofficial-guides.com/guides/durham.html
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The general opinions from UKL seem to be that the place is a bit overated, i.e a good university but not any better than places like York etc. It terms of achievements it wouldn't even rate as good as Manchester.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If this is about Durham University surely one of our fantastic moderators should have moved it to the appropriate sub-forum about 39 minutes ago.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
OK I have a great fact about Durham. It is some where near Newcastle
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
Well, it's not the LSE.
Thank God it's not!!! It's much better!
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol well you can't be German, for you have a sense of humour! lol
Well, even though LSE is ever so good, apparently they haven't got one thing on their syllabus: Tolerance!!! You'll be surprised to hear that, yes, German people have a sense of humour, and that Lord Dahrendorf, who is German as well, used to be Vice-Chancellor of the LSE.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Gnostic are you so passionate about LSE because of the respect and admiration you will get or the high paid job you will obtain afterwards or something else?

Neither of the two reasons I mentioned are guaranteed and there is far more to life than a degree, which I think many of the people on this forum are oblivious to.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And Bertrand Russell lectured 'German Social Democracy' at the LSE before the war - I wondered what happened to that....
lol... Well, German Social democracy is very much alive today, they rule Germany with the Greens at the moment! Things have changed... a lot. But I suppose that some people at the LSE prefer to learn about the world in their books, rather than to go there and see for themselves.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My flatmate went to Durham she absolutely loved it as did all her friends so it sounds like a decent place to me. They all seem to have done pretty well jobs- wise too.
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Durham is a very good university and it's an absolutey gorgeous place to boot. A friend of mine did a degree in computer science there. It's a much nicer place to work than Manchester, put it that way.
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think Kosovo is probably a nicer place to study than Manchester.
But you are a complete **** and your opinions are utterly irrelevant.

You are without doubt the most snobbish person I've ever encountered.

While Manchester might not be the most aesthetically pleasing place on planet earth, it certainly has character, which is something that must be completely alien to you. Unless Plato wrote something about it, of course. Because that would make it relevant.

Also, the University itself is very good. Of course, anything that isn't Oxbridge or LSE in your book is not worthy of your gracefully superior presence.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
My flatmate went to Durham she absolutely loved it as did all her friends so it sounds like a decent place to me. They all seem to have done pretty well jobs- wise too.
I went to stay with a friend who is at Van Mildert, she and many others there- think that college allocation is a bit snobby - in the prospectus VMil is described as a "special community" which basically means a higher number of state school people than the other colleges. Its true!!

The scenery is nice, but not as nice as some Unis, personally i thought lancaster was quaint but not so isolated. You'd be stupid to base a decision on view from a window!!

I didnt really like the feel of it when i was there it felt like a "jolly old boarding school"!! (not trying to offend people)!! Its social side is a bit lacking, there is not as much student diversity as at other unis, as most are white middle class. The only thing i liked was the strong rowing tradition, (not because i am a snob, i learnt to row at a local club not at some private school).

But hey!!..........
lilsunflower
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I hope to go there!
lilsunflower
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Ah... why all this rivalry?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think Kosovo is probably a nicer place to study than Manchester.
Manchester's banging.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (243)
75.23%
No (80)
24.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed