This discussion is closed.
suz19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
lilsunflower, in England we have some barbarians up north aptly called "northerners". They are the descendents of Vikings and so can be quite unsophisticated. They like to cause mischief every now and again, and are very resentful towards the true English - the southerners, the actual Anglo-Saxons.

Best to ignore them - after a few minutes they're find something else to grunt about.
It's amusing how the only way you can make yourself feel superior is to put others down. Anyone who really was as intelligent and wonderful as you think you are wouldn't have to resort to such measures. LSE obviously aren't particularly piccy about the people they accept :rolleyes:
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Gnostic just plain ignored my post bleh!
lilsunflower
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
Gnostic just plain ignored my post bleh!
Lolz
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
[...] I find your arguments highly illogical. You are allowing blind anger to cloud rational judgement.
lol!!! He's not the only one apparently...
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was quite surprised by your strange praise of Manchester...until I read on your profile that you're in Manchester.

I find your arguments highly illogical. You are allowing blind anger to cloud rational judgement.
It's not blind anger at all gnostic. Those comments are made in the context of having read many of your previous posts.

How, exactly, is my praise of Manchester strange? I've lived in the Manchester area my entire life and don't actually like the place all that much to be completely honest. However, comments like 'I think Kosovo is probably a nicer place to study than Manchester', are hardly logical statements are they gnostic? Anyone here is free to do a search to view your previous posts, and that comment is completely within your character.

Manchester does have its upsides gnostic. It's always been particularly famous for its music scene for example. Bands like the stone roses, new order, james, joy division, the verve, the doves, the happy mondays, the smiths, inspiral carpets, and even a small band called oasis all came from these parts. Name one other city in this country that has produced so many quality bands?

As I've already said, I'm not exactly a Manchester zealot, but to deny Manchester has any upside is completely irrational.

And the University is very good, or would you dispute that too gnostic?

You are a snob. That is a fact. I reckon if you had never even heard of Nietzsche for example, and came accross one of his books in a second hand bookstore somewhere (not that you'd ever be seen dead in a place like that - where you might be associated with the common people), I reckon you'd pretty much dismiss his writing altogether. You only attach such a value to such things because you know the values others have attached to them in the past.

I bet you've never even been north of watford anyway.
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lilsunflower, in England we have some barbarians up north aptly called "northerners". They are the descendents of Vikings and so can be quite unsophisticated. They like to cause mischief every now and again, and are very resentful towards the true English - the southerners, the actual Anglo-Saxons.

Best to ignore them - after a few minutes they're find something else to grunt about.
I'm sat in the library right now gnostic, so I thought I'd take advatage of the fact. Here is the Oxford (because anything that isnt from Oxford/Cambridge/LSE is irrelevant and wrong - this is an obvious fact) dictionary definition of the word 'snob'

Snob noun ; a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.

I defy anyone on these boards to prove that this definition does not apply to gnostic. Gnostic, there are Oxford and Cambridge students who visit these boards (people who you would consider to be worthy of your time) - I defy ANYONE to demonstrate how this definition doesn't apply to gnostic. Any takers?
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by aaarrrggh)
I'm sat in the library right now gnostic, so I thought I'd take advatage of the fact. Here is the Oxford (because anything that isnt from Oxford/Cambridge/LSE is irrelevant and wrong - this is an obvious fact) dictionary definition of the word 'snob'

Snob noun ; a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.

I defy anyone on these boards to prove that this definition does not apply to gnostic. Gnostic, there are Oxford and Cambridge students who visit these boards (people who you would consider to be worthy of your time) - I defy ANYONE to demonstrate how this definition doesn't apply to gnostic. Any takers?
I agree with you, but since I'm not a Oxbridge student nor at the LSE, my opinion is not worth taking into account. But I know a few Cambridge students (both in real life and on this forum) and they'd certainly agree with us!
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My respect is not exaggerated, therefore I am not a snob.
Oxford dictionary definition:

Exaggerate verb represent (something) as being larger, greater, better, or worse than it really is.

Who here thinks the above quote is guilty of exaggeration, of the most snobbish variety?
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But what I wrote is true. Northerners are descended from Vikings, and they are more brutish than us southerners. That's no exaggeration.
You said that Northerners are more 'brutish' than Southerners- are you telling us you've met every Northerner alive and can personally vouch for the fact that they're all more brutish than every Southerner??
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Here's the difference between me and you gnostic. You are perfectly happy to make fleeting exaggerations such as 'all northerners are barbarians', and see a northern person such as me defending his city as something that must necessarily be a north/south issue. I don't. I have loads of southern friends (oh, these are people who come from down south to be educated up here) who I get on really well with, and I may well end up living down south myself in the future. The fact is gnostic, I don't see this as a north/south issue, I see it for what it is - the inane ramblings of an individual petty arrogant little snob.

It's wierd you know, because I actually agree with some of your opinions, but you express them in such a completely arrogant and self richeous way that it often pains me to agree with you. Unlike you however, I can judge an issue on its own merits, and will even admit to agreeing with you when I do regardless of the fact I think you're a complete and utter ****.
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
I agree with you, but since I'm not a Oxbridge student nor at the LSE, my opinion is not worth taking into account. But I know a few Cambridge students (both in real life and on this forum) and they'd certainly agree with us!
Wow bookworm, don't you feel suddenly more relevant as a human being when one of those proper people from the proper universities agrees with us? I know it makes me feel warm inside!
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
You said that Northerners are more 'brutish' than Southerners- are you telling us you've met every Northerner alive and can personally vouch for the fact that they're all more brutish than every Southerner??
Please guys, let's not waste Gnostic's time!! He went to the LSE, surely he knows better than the rest of us mortals!!

Great sig you've got, suz19!
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i applied to durham based on its rating for physics and visited the university. Its meant to be the best according to the times, however i was put off quite a bit when i visited it. The colleges didnt seem to promote mixing of students and its seemed a little to much like a boarding school for my liking. There also seems to be alot of private school pupils, my whole life has been spent at a private school so im not knocking, its just makes the university seem just a bit to much like an adult boarding school and that i decided wasnt really what i wanted. If you want to meet lots of different types of people i would go to a bigger university. It seemed very safe as a university, altho the locals didnt seem togeather welcoming.

If i was you i would consider how good it is for the subject you have choosen, think about what you want to do in your spare time and what sort of time you want at uni.

If you want a quieter and more peaceful uni experience with less trips out and a high standard of learning i would go there. However i personally think that there are better places to go with more where there is more going on and more for students. Hope this helps.
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What a load of empty moral fanaticism! Boooorrrrrriiiing.
So sayeth the philosopher.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No, I was speaking in a collective sense. Generalisations are valid so long as one recognises that the presumption can be rebutted in individual cases. For example, I know that Manchester is jam packed full of poofs - I doubt that they have the same brutness as their ancestors did.
Since you're so concerned with prestige, how come you're not going to Oxbridge??
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
Since you're so concerned with prestige, how come you're not going to Oxbridge??
He turned Oxford down. He's a genius, is our gnostic.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Go and get a history lesson! Do you think that all the Vikings that have settled in the north of England have got descendents who have never moved around for twelve centuries? Maybe even to the south of England!
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was at Durham but have since left, though thats not to say its a bad place. I think it definitely suits cetain people more than others. If you are from a big city or used to having lots of choice about where you go out, its quite a shock, especially as its sooo far from where I live in Surrey/South London border (near Kingston). You always bump into the same people all the time in Durham, which might be nice. From people who know, it is said to feel EXACTLY like a big boarding school. There is no town apart from the University, really. Id have to compare it to spending a week at a provincial relatives with not much to do. However, many of the peopl (who are incredibly white middle class) loved it. Also, the place seemed to be full of KEEN people. Everyone seemed to either play the violin every evening, or be obsessed with canoeing or underwater tiddlywinks or sumsuch, it got a bit tiring trying to compete. In the college council elections everybody voluntered to be up for vote, you know what I mean. Anyway you'll probably love it, lots of people do, and look at the drop-out rate, its tiny, so I'm quite rare, though saying that I personally know two other people from my year who left, and there was a girl at Castle who left within less than two weeks of the start of term. But its still like 2% overall which is small.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
Gnostic lives in Essex, where I live. If he says there are not thugs here, he will be lying because the crime rate is astronomical in Southend/Basildon and all the other rough places. In the context of where we live, Southerners are definately brutish!
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
Gnostic lives in Essex, where I live. If he says there are not thugs here, he will be lying because the crime rate is astronomical in Southend/Basildon and all the other rough places. In the context of where we live, Southerners are definately brutish!
I know, I thought the fact that he lives in Essex made his comments about the North all the more amusing But anyway, I think only an idiot would generalise in such a way- every part of England has thugs and people who could be described as 'brutish', he's talking absolute rubbish.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (249)
75.23%
No (82)
24.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise