This discussion is closed.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
I was at Durham but have since left, though thats not to say its a bad place. I think it definitely suits cetain people more than others. If you are from a big city or used to having lots of choice about where you go out, its quite a shock, especially as its sooo far from where I live in Surrey/South London border (near Kingston). You always bump into the same people all the time in Durham, which might be nice. From people who know, it is said to feel EXACTLY like a big boarding school. There is no town apart from the University, really. Id have to compare it to spending a week at a provincial relatives with not much to do. However, many of the peopl (who are incredibly white middle class) loved it. Also, the place seemed to be full of KEEN people. Everyone seemed to either play the violin every evening, or be obsessed with canoeing or underwater tiddlywinks or sumsuch, it got a bit tiring trying to compete. In the college council elections everybody voluntered to be up for vote, you know what I mean. Anyway you'll probably love it, lots of people do, and look at the drop-out rate, its tiny, so I'm quite rare, though saying that I personally know two other people from my year who left, and there was a girl at Castle who left within less than two weeks of the start of term. But its still like 2% overall which is small.
Thanks for that, I actually live in Twickenham so am used to lots of nightlife and things to do...argh, decisions!!!!
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
People in Basildon are probably the northern migrants that happysunshine was alluding to earlier.
And where are the Vikings from Gnostic? Instead of calling them 'northern migrants' you could call them Scandinavians.
claire1985
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
People in Basildon are probably the northern migrants that happysunshine was alluding to earlier.
Isn't Benfleet near there?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lilsunflower, in England we have some barbarians up north aptly called "northerners". They are the descendents of Vikings and so can be quite unsophisticated. They like to cause mischief every now and again, and are very resentful towards the true English - the southerners, the actual Anglo-Saxons.

Best to ignore them - after a few minutes they're find something else to grunt about.

Lol this is funny. Not all Northerners are 'vikings'. When William conquered England he gave land away to his followers. The prize land in England was in the North. I myself am directly descendend from a French family which settled in Cumbria.

A lot of the important noblemen came from the north e.g. Duke of Norfok. There is good reason why the house of Lancaster and York were extremely powerful for many centuries. Some of the greatest Kings and Queens of England are from the House of Lancaster.

Another point, when Rome took over England. Which tribes put up one hell of a fight against the Romans? It certainly wasnt the southern ones.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Lol this is funny. Not all Northerners are 'vikings'. When William conquered England he gave land away to his followers. The prize land in England was in the North. I myself am directly descendend from a French family which settled in Cumbria.

A lot of the important noblemen came from the north e.g. Duke of Norfok. There is good reason why the house of Lancaster and York were extremely powerful for many centuries. Some of the greatest Kings and Queens of England are from the House of Lancaster.

Another point, when Rome took over England. Which tribes put up one hell of a fight against the Romans? It certainly wasnt the southern ones.
Joey, there is another quote in my sig, and it is marvellous
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Bloody southern fairies

Disclaimer
---------
The above statement was a joke.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Maybe that's because the Anglo-Saxons weren't living in Britain at the time?
SO are you saying that anglo saxons are more 'british' than people who had lived in Britain thousands of years before that? Lol what a fool.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

All Henry VII's line (H8, Elizabeth, Edward, Mary etc) decended from the Yorkists
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Joey, there is another quote in my sig, and it is marvellous
Would it be addressed to one Mr.Foster?

Mjg rules
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
All Henry VII's line (H8, Elizabeth, Edward, Mary etc) decended from the Yorkists
Henry VII was from the house of Lancaster. He married someone from the house of York thus making both houses important as I said.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Would it be addressed to one Mr.Foster?

Mjg rules
It was so funny....

"you're an academic faylure!" - HAHAHA
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Henry VII was from the house of Lancaster. He married someone from the house of York thus making both houses important as I said.
Yeah, ok-i thought you were just saying Lancaster was the important one. Sorry, you are quite right
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No, I said that they - the Anglo-Saxons - are more English, indeed the real English. England = land of the angles.

'English' and 'British' are not synonymous you gallic ****.
Lol your funny, in a dumb way.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah, ok-i thought you were just saying Lancaster was the important one. Sorry, you are quite right
I was just rejected by them by the way....
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
It was so funny....

"you're an academic faylure!" - HAHAHA
Indeed. He has no life, people like mjg do ex curricular activities like basketball and smoking which are far more more important
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)

Who Lancaster uni? Dont worry your not missing out, Lancaster its self is nice but the uni's a bit crap, quite a few m8s of mine go there.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What?! :confused:

You got into Oxford but not Lancaster? LOL!
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Who, Durham? Don't worry, it is not ability, it is your Oxford offer. A friend of a friend of mine was rejected by Durham, she rang up to see why and they said, you got a 2E from Camb, we aren't going to give u a place if you will just reject it.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Who, Durham? Don't worry, it is not ability, it is your Oxford offer. A friend of a friend of mine was rejected by Durham, she rang up to see why and they said, you got a 2E from Camb, we aren't going to give u a place if you will just reject it.
Lol, well as you know it wasn't exactly at the top of my list anyway . I really hope you get in though!
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Lol, I meant Durham Uni (Hild-Bede) for History
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (243)
75.23%
No (80)
24.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed