This discussion is closed.
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by feli123)
Hello, just one more question, would you recommend LSE instead of DUrham for law?
Well, they both have excellent reputations. Possibly the LSE is slightly more respected. Durham accepts quite a lot of international students, so I'm sure it would be quite welcoming to those from Asian countries.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hello, just one more question, would you recommend LSE instead of DUrham for law?
Depends on what kind of uni you're looking for. Since they're both excellent for Law, you should also look at the kind of lifestyle you want to lead. I didn't even apply to LSE because I wasn't interested in London.
feli123
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Well, they both have excellent reputations. Possibly the LSE is slightly more respected. Durham accepts quite a lot of international students, so I'm sure it would be quite welcoming to those from Asian countries.
Thanks, I personally prefer Durham, but my parents are more concerned with the job prospects that Durham provides. It seems that Durham has less promising job prospects than the LSE from the rankings (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm still deciding between these 2 universities.

Should I go for the reputation or just follow my heart? But sometimes I'm worried that I'll make the wrong decision and regret going to Durham. I'm really stuck. So any advice is welcome!
feli123
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Depends on what kind of uni you're looking for. Since they're both excellent for Law, you should also look at the kind of lifestyle you want to lead. I didn't even apply to LSE because I wasn't interested in London.
Thank you, too.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks, I personally prefer Durham, but my parents are more concerned with the job prospects that Durham provides. It seems that Durham has less promising job prospects than the LSE from the rankings (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm still deciding between these 2 universities.

Should I go for the reputation or just follow my heart? But sometimes I'm worried that I'll make the wrong decision and regret going to Durham. I'm really stuck. So any advice is welcome!
Well honestly, I don't think this whole Uni prestige is as important as we make it out to be. After all, these are top unis, and you can choose to do your masters/doctorate in another uni. I'm probably going to Durham for Law next year. I guess it's not which uni you go to, but how you make the most of the degree you leave with. I know 3 international students who did law at LSE but:

- one of them realised Law wasn't the course for her and begged her parents to let her change course and go to another uni. (parents forced her to continue).
- the other graduated with a strong 2.1 but wasn't the remotest bit interested in Law after actually studying it and took up a clerical job in a bank.
- another dropped out in his first year and took a gap year before doing engineering.

That said, there are PLENTY of students in LSE who thorougly enjoy themselves and graduate with outstanding results and take up jobs of high positions. But all the top unis have pretty much the same success stories... just choose which uni suits you best. One is in the heart of the city, the other is in the remote north and collegiate.

Good Luck with your choices!
eunice
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well honestly, I don't think this whole Uni prestige is as important as we make it out to be. After all, these are top unis, and you can choose to do your masters/doctorate in another uni. I'm probably going to Durham for Law next year. I guess it's not which uni you go to, but how you make the most of the degree you leave with. I know 3 international students who did law at LSE but:

- one of them realised Law wasn't the course for her and begged her parents to let her change course and go to another uni. (parents forced her to continue).
- the other graduated with a strong 2.1 but wasn't the remotest bit interested in Law after actually studying it and took up a clerical job in a bank.
- another dropped out in his first year and took a gap year before doing engineering.

That said, there are PLENTY of students in LSE who thorougly enjoy themselves and graduate with outstanding results and take up jobs of high positions. But all the top unis have pretty much the same success stories... just choose which uni suits you best. One is in the heart of the city, the other is in the remote north and collegiate.

Nod nod... Pursue something that interests you. Face it, you got to be in that line for 30 years? For a start, do something that you won't regret in the future

ehhe.. it seems to me that girls are usually pursuing for their interests whilst guys are pursuing for fame & $$$... (my own opinion thou.. hope no one gets offended 8P)
feli123
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by eunice)
Nod nod... Pursue something that interests you. Face it, you got to be in that line for 30 years? For a start, do something that you won't regret in the future

ehhe.. it seems to me that girls are usually pursuing for their interests whilst guys are pursuing for fame & $$$... (my own opinion thou.. hope no one gets offended 8P)
Yes, I can't help agreeing with you on the point that guys place more emphasis on the pursuit of reputation, fame and money. A friend of mine who wanted to study Political Science applied for law instead to many elite universities, including Cambridge, Downing. Of course, he applied to the LSE, KCL, Essex, UCL. But when asked why he chose Cambridge over Oxford, "Cambridge has better job prospects," was his reply. It's true though.
feli123
Report 17 years ago

Thanks a lot for the info~~

Just a quick question, does anybody here know the exact drop-out rate at Durham? Is it true that Durham gives you more "personal attention"?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks a lot for the info~~

Just a quick question, does anybody here know the exact drop-out rate at Durham? Is it true that Durham gives you more "personal attention"?
If I'm not wrong, the last published rate was less than 2%. Someone might be able to offer better stats. But I know it's somewhere in that region.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ok, my app has been at the college over 2 weeks now!
How long can it take the college?!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
. But when asked why he chose Cambridge over Oxford, "Cambridge has better job prospects," was his reply. It's true though.
That's not true, especially abroad. MA (Oxon) is generally more well-known than MA (Cantab).
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I've been made an offer for English Literature at Durham, and although I haven't made up my mind yet 100%, I think I'll be accepting it. I was just wondering if anybody else on these message boards also applied for that course...in which case, I think it'd be great to get to know some people before actually going there,
okay, well, bye for now then
PS. I'll be in St. Mary's (...by choice, lol)
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by shilling)
I've been made an offer for English Literature at Durham, and although I haven't made up my mind yet 100%, I think I'll be accepting it. I was just wondering if anybody else on these message boards also applied for that course...in which case, I think it'd be great to get to know some people before actually going there,
okay, well, bye for now then
PS. I'll be in St. Mary's (...by choice, lol)
Me! I have an offer for English Lit at Durham too! Where else do you have offers from? I'm still waiting for York and have offers from Birmingham and Southampton. I'm going to the open day on the 22-23 March, when are you going? I applied to Hatfield but funnily enough I was put in Mary's, but having been at an all girls school all my life I asked to be moved to Aidan's, which is now finalised. Feel free to PM me
JoKing
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hey,
Got an offer for philosophy at Durham, Trev's. Anyone else going to Trev's?

JoKing.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by SweetSugar)
SamD, could I ask why you actually left Durham? Was there one particular reason or a mixture of all that you have described?? Are you at another uni now?
I'm on a gap at the moment working, but Ive reapplied for law and have offers from UCL, KCL, and one to go back to durham to do Law if I want to. Yes a mixture.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Please explain what is meant when people say that Durham is like a boarding school?
Living on top of each other, seeing the same people all the time - slight feeling of lack of independence.
Kirki
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by JoKing)
Hey,
Got an offer for philosophy at Durham, Trev's. Anyone else going to Trev's?

JoKing.
Not Trevs, but Durham to do philosophy
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
It means that if you're a bloke you wont be a virgin anally by the time you leave.
Pass the soap...
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
It means that if you're a bloke you wont be a virgin anally by the time you leave.
Lolz.. yeh yeh yeh
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (240)
75.47%
No (78)
24.53%

Watched Threads