The Student Room Group

Why do white women age quicker?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Good question

Mixture of UV damage and the fact that imperfections show up more on lighter skin I'd say
Yeah it'll be to do with the melanin. And probably due to the products most people with darker skin use like cocoa butter or olive oil that are naturally good for you and actually work. And also probably because darker skintones normally have less blemishes unlike the ruddy tones that some white people have, like me, and therefore wear less makeup, which is good for the skin in the long run.
Original post by AliceStrawbs
Possibly sun damage due to less melanin compared to women with darker skin. Exposure to UV rays causes wrinkling and premature ageing.

Original post by Naminam
Pretty simple- UV rays age the skin and lots of white women overdo the UV rays. Pale skin doesn't need much sun to get adequate vit D and most people stay out there til it gets damaged. Darker skins can cope with the sun PLUS darker skinned women are less likely to want to get even darker as most people strive for mid-tone skin.

If you see a white woman who has never bothered with tanning she will look much younger. My mother is in her 50s and is mistaken for 10 years younger frequently just because she isn't interested in sunbathing. Compared with her peers who wanted to be bronzed 70s and 80s divas she looks pretty different. There's not much out there that ages the skin like UV rays.

Yet look at Japanese who are very pale and look great for their age.

Original post by jb_keep_walking
Please respond.

OP - it will be down to a **** diet and poor lifestyle.

Source 1

Source 2
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jimbo1234

Japenese women don't purposely sit out in the sun all day like idiots though, do they?

They also drink lots of green tea which is an antioxidant and great for the skin.
Reply 24
It's not just white women, black men aged 40 plus age way better than white males.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Japenese women don't purposely sit out in the sun all day like idiots though, do they?

They also drink lots of green tea which is an antioxidant and great for the skin.

Check my sources in the post.
Also with that logic Australians and some Americans should look like OAP's before they are 20....but clearly they do not.

It is all down to diet and lifestyle.
Check my sources in the post.
Also with that logic Australians and some Americans should look like OAP's before they are 20....but clearly they do not.

It is all down to diet and lifestyle.

Look at the picture of the man's face I posted on page 1 then tell me it's all about diet and lifestyle.
Look at the picture of the man's face I posted on page 1 then tell me it's all about diet and lifestyle.

True, however...

...because car windscreens do not protect from UVA rays. These rarely trigger obvious sunburn, unlike UVB rays, but cause most photo-ageing, and can also lead to skin cancer.

It is not natural and most people would avoid the sun after being burnt, yet OP still remains to have a point as white people do tend to age badly compared to other groups.
Reply 28
Original post by littleone271
Not wearing make-up on the other hand DOES give women wrinkles (white women anyway). Women with fair skin who don't wear make-up tend to have faces like old boots by the time they're 45 from what I've seen. .

That's a pretty bold statement and pretty much untrue.

It has little to do with make up. Also foundation isn't the only thing that contains SPF, in fact it usually contains very little. Not wearing make up will not just BAM give you wrinkles.

As people have said UV rays can contribute however it is not the be all and end all and white people are not destined to grow older faster. it very much has to do with lifestyle and diet. Smoking and drinking can damage cells as well as having horribly processed foods etc. Appropriate exercise, diet, skin care routine etc can reduce skin damage from free radicals. Antioxidants like vitamin c And e can have a substantial effect on your skin over time.

I think we have to remember that white people in the western world tend to have the poorest lifestyles.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Horatio-
That's a pretty bold statement and pretty much untrue.

It has little to do with make up. Also foundation isn't the only thing that contains SPF, in fact it usually contains very little. Not wearing make up will not just BAM give you wrinkles.

As people have said UV rays can contribute however it is not the be all and end all and white people are not destined to grow older faster. it very much has to do with lifestyle and diet. Smoking and drinking can damage cells as well as having horribly processed foods etc. Appropriate exercise, diet, skin care routine etc can reduce skin damage from free radicals. Antioxidants like vitamin c And e can have a substantial effect on your skin over time.

I think we have to remember that white people in the western world tend to have the poorest lifestyles.

What are you basing this on? I've read numerous times from many different sources the biggest cause of ageing to the skin is sun damage.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/03/article-0-12E39961000005DC-529_468x450.jpg

This woman's skin was not caused by eating too many burgers and sitting on the sofa every day.

A source: http://www.sharecare.com/question/common-causes-skin-damage

I could probably find hundreds if I had the time to trawl.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31

OP - it will be down to a **** diet and poor lifestyle.

Source 1

Source 2

They are obssessed about skincare rather than make up. Like, it's a huge huge thing.
They also avoid the sun like crazy coz the lighter you are, the 'better'. Which is also why high UVA and UVB protection is in almost all their cosmetics and skin lighteners sell really well and is basically the norm.

Technically, his job forms his lifestyle.
Reply 33
What are you basing this on? I've read numerous times from many different sources the biggest cause of ageing to the skin is sun damage.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/03/article-0-12E39961000005DC-529_468x450.jpg

This woman's skin was not caused by eating too many burgers and sitting on the sofa every day.

A source: http://www.sharecare.com/question/common-causes-skin-damage

I could probably find hundreds if I had the time to trawl.

It was caused my tanning. You're showing me a picture of a bronzed woman as a oppose to a women who has severe sun damage. E.g freckles and sun spots? Plus I'm more talking about skin health in general as oppose to exclusively sun damage which is a PART of skin health.

Anyway I'm not sure what you're implying? I havent said anywhere that the sun has nothing to do with skin health. But different factors can present different outcomes. You could go out in the sun everyday and still maintain better skin health than say an alcoholic. Your skins cells are not exclusively damaged by the sun alone.
Original post by Horatio-
It was caused my tanning. You're showing me a picture of a bronzed woman as a oppose to a women who has severe sun damage. E.g freckles and sun spots? Plus I'm more talking about skin health in general as oppose to exclusively sun damage which is a PART of skin health.

Anyway I'm not sure what you're implying? I havent said anywhere that the sun has nothing to do with skin health. But different factors can present different outcomes. You could go out in the sun everyday and still maintain better skin health than say an alcoholic. Your skins cells are not exclusively damaged by the sun alone.

A tan is sun damage.
Did you know that living upstairs for 90 years or so increase your life expectancy by a nanosecond?

According to the National Geographic, at least.
Original post by neom
They are obssessed about skincare rather than make up. Like, it's a huge huge thing.
They also avoid the sun like crazy coz the lighter you are, the 'better'. Which is also why high UVA and UVB protection is in almost all their cosmetics and skin lighteners sell really well and is basically the norm.

...care to comment about the two sources I posted or are you going to ignore them again? :facepalm:
Reply 37
I don't know if you're expecting a serious answer or not...

But yeah, as everyone else has said, melanin and uv and all that shizzzzz.

Naturally, those with darker skin tones will age 'better' but there are also social and cultural stuff that plays a part too- like I expect you're basing this assumption from the 40/50/60 years old white women you've encountered? If this is the case i suspect they probabily spent much of their youth soaking up the sun because tans were trendy and they weren't really too bothered by the effect it had on the skin. Comparatively, in many East Asian countries it is desirable to be pale rather than tanned, so women there are less exposed to damaging UV rays and age well, even though they don't have a vastly pigmented skin tone :smile:
Reply 38
A tan is sun damage.

Not necessarily.

A tan is a response to the suns UV rays. Melanocytes will produce melanin which is a photoprotectant. Therefore a tan is your skin trying to protect itself. Obviously not 100% effective and proof.

So getting a slight tan may not produce skin damage. (Although if you have very light skin the extra melanin you produce will not be enough to protect you...in fact you'll probably burn too) but over expose to the sun will likely cause skin damage. This all also depends on your genetic make up as well
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
...care to comment about the two sources I posted or are you going to ignore them again? :facepalm:

Where in my comment did I say there weren't other factors that could contribute to ageing?

I was just explaining the whole 'but japanese people are pale and don't age badly'
And i said it's because they avoid the sun (which is major contributor to aging) and take care of their skin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending