Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    O.K., I have no problem with specific uni and academic subforums but I think this is going far, there really is no need for a subforum of this nature in my opinion. Is there any chance it could be removed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    O.K., I have no problem with specific uni and academic subforums but I think this is going far, there really is no need for a subforum of this nature in my opinion. Is there any chance it could be removed?
    Maybe widen it to "other topics" or some thing? There are threads which don't fit easily into any of the forums (fora?). We've had stuff on drugs, vegetarianism, Lent and all sorts of stuff in the past few days. People want to discuss these things so let's have a forum that meets those needs.

ReputationRep:
    i think its good having it as a subforum, hopefully we should get some lively debates.

as a subforum i think it will attract ppl interested and not the ppl who make stupid comments/want to boost their post count

ReputationRep:
    We already get lively debates. The abusive posters will still come, in fact they will probably be even more likely to as they won't have to 'find' a debate for them to stick their noses in. Also, 'Debate and Discussion', doesn't that cover more or less anything? How mnay threads start out as one thing with the debate evolving over time, what are you going to do, move the thread back and forward between forums?

ReputationRep:
    We already get lively debates. The abusive posters will still come, in fact they will probably be even more likely to as they won't have to 'find' a debate for them to stick their noses in. Also, 'Debate and Discussion', doesn't that cover more or less anything? How mnay threads start out as one thing with the debate evolving over time, what are you going to do, move the thread back and forward between forums?

I think "debate and discussion" is much better than the earlier "politics and political discussion" which was very narrow. Fair comment that all the forums are essentially "debate and discussion". Any suggestions for wording that shows that it is a general issues forum without making it sound too PCHE? As the name has already changed once today, it would appear that our administrators reckon they haven't quite cracked it either.

ReputationRep:
    Good thing is that with debates taken out, Main now has nothing of any lasting value, thus threads can be culled after a week or whatever, with no worry that anything worth keeping would be deleted.

ReputationRep:
    it might as well just be called the 'debate islam' forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    it might as well just be called the 'debate islam' forum
    another plus is that we get to just permanently lock vienna in here.

ReputationRep:
    its a shame that we keep having to create endless sub forums because the amount of pointless members and spammers go continually undealt with. the 'main' forum has been sacrificed as a general chat area, introducing a culture of idiotic threads and short-lived nonsense, that is a turn off to a number of people who came to the forum for quite the opposite reasons. it wont be long before this is swamped with 10 line signatures, talk of 'who's fitter' and more bono spam. tackle them instead of sidelining the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    another plus is that we get to just permanently lock vienna in here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    youve been registered for less than a fortnight..how could u find that amusing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    youve been registered for less than a fortnight..how could u find that amusing?
    The fox thread.

ReputationRep:
    The fox thread.
    cant remember that one..have u got a link?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno where it is. The one I started about the fox 'my word' report. Don't take it too personally, I just thought the comment itself was pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno where it is. The one I started about the fox 'my word' report. Don't take it too personally, I just thought the comment itself was pretty funny.
    oh right, i thought u were referring to a previous fox hunting thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    oh right, i thought u were referring to a previous fox hunting thread.
    lol, no. Sorry, didnt mean to offend in my previous post.

ReputationRep:
    i wasnt. just interested as to know where u heard about me

ReputationRep:
    i have to say aaarrrggh i was bemused by your sig (for like a few seconds-childish humour)

*lets stop complaining and get on with the arguing

ReputationRep:
    So what is actually going to be in the main forum? Threads about jeans, braces and do tall women like short men?

ReputationRep:
    My first impression of this forum is it's informative and decent enough. Most forums I went to is fill with vulgarities and 'dirty' stuffs which i utterly detest!

Anyway, to make this forum more successful, I reckon creating a sub-forum for all those nonsensical (although nonsensical is abit harsh, perhaps issues of less importance or rather casual issues) issues so that people can vent their anger? or anything on....

Founders of this forum should also ask themselves what purpose this forum intended to serve? It's best not to divert to much... Having a variety of topics will most probably turn intended 'forumers' off...

Well, the above is just my opinion....

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.