Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level subjects Help I'm confused!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    I want to do medicine at uni and I am pretty good at sciences. So i've decided on 3 definite subjects being bio, chem, maths but i dont know what to pick for the 4th. Either German Physics or economics. I'm equally good and enjoy them all. Please help. And what do oxbridge prefer?
    thanx a lot
    rav

ReputationRep:
    physics i'd say

ReputationRep:
    Some medical courses at uni require a non-science subject, but I know most uni's require chemistry, another science (physics/biology) OR maths. I'm taking the three sciences and I find they go well together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rav_uk)
    hey,
    I want to do medicine at uni and I am pretty good at sciences. So i've decided on 3 definite subjects being bio, chem, maths but i dont know what to pick for the 4th. Either German Physics or economics. I'm equally good and enjoy them all. Please help. And what do oxbridge prefer?
    thanx a lot
    rav
    Pick Economics - You don't need Physics whatsoever because you have Maths, which is even better.

Taking a non-sciency subject like Economics is a good option because:

a.) It shows diversity in your academic skills
    b.) You said yourself that you are good at the subject.
    c.) It is very well respected.
    d.) You have Maths therefore you don't need Physics.

Maths, Bio, Chem, Economics would be a very good mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Pick Economics - You don't need Physics whatsoever because you have Maths, which is even better.

German!!

Its completely different to the others, a highly respected Alevel. Not many students do it so it gives you advantage over the rest.

ReputationRep:
    german, because its a language

ReputationRep:
    I've got exactly the same problem- Physics vs. a contrasting subject as the fourth AS. I'm now pretty set on Physics now; while it's not necessary, it's quite useful for physiology, wonderful scales involved, and apparently Oxford physiology interviewers enjoy questions on it (lol).

But you might like to do something very different to give you a little balance; I know UCL and Wales give some preference to those with a non-science/maths subject. It mainly depends on which universities you're interested in- contact them for the best information. Cambridge seem to suggest Physics, while most of the London ones don't mind about the other subjects at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)

What about, you have maths so you don't need economics?
    If she does want something non-sciency then I think German would be better.
    You say economics is well respected, but Physics and German are equally, if not more.

ReputationRep:
    thanx 4 the replys guyz,
    just wondering if any1 does german and eco and physics or any combination of them and how does each 1 compare in terms of
    difficulty, fun and workload
    thanx a lot again
    rav

ReputationRep:
    Some good unis (like Bristol) require a non science subject up to at least AS level

ReputationRep:
    id go for german.. might give you some light relief from all the maths and science and also requires completely different skills from maths etc.. it would should diversity in your learning and broad interests and ahceivemnts

ReputationRep:
    I would say Physics because that is morealess the combination i'm studying and it's generally a very interesting and stimulating course.
    Can't you take 5 As subjects and then decide what you want to continue with???

ReputationRep:
    I also have this sort of problem. I'm applying to med school and im definately taking bio, chem and physics....but i can't choose between psychology and German!!! I want to continue with german, but psychology sounds like a v. interesting subject too...is it not??? Could someone who studies german and/or psychology please help me....

Thanks!

p.s. what kind of german literature do you get to study, btw???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_girl)
    I also have this sort of problem. I'm applying to med school and im definately taking bio, chem and physics....but i can't choose between psychology and German!!! I want to continue with german, but psychology sounds like a v. interesting subject too...is it not??? Could someone who studies german and/or psychology please help me....

Thanks!

p.s. what kind of german literature do you get to study, btw???
    I take biology, chemistry, physics and psychology, I'm up for answering any questions.

ReputationRep:
    german!

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know what AS+A2 psychology is like, really...whether it's a whorwhile subject. Besides, our school does distance-learning for psychology. Do you think that's a bad idea???

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.