The Student Room Group

Leicester or Birmingham? Help!

Hello, I got conditional offers from both universities and I do not know which one I should choose. I applied for computer science with a year in industry.

Some advantages and disadvantages:

Birmingham:
5th in guardian table
better connections with industries?
nice department
7500 accomodation cost
russell group

Leicester:
14th in guardian table
3500 accomodation cost
nice library

Which one I should go? Do you think that it will be easier to find better job if I go to birmingham? I also want to do postgraduate.

thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by neves
Hello, I got conditional offers from both universities and I do not know which one I should choose. I applied for computer science with a year in industry.

Birmingham:
5th in guardian table
nice department
7500 accomodation cost
russell group

Leicester:
14th in guardian table
3500 accomodation cost
nice library

Which one I should go? Do you think that it will be easier to find better job if I go to birmingham? I also want to do postgraduate.

thanks!

If it makes a difference I know accommodation costs are virtually the same at the 2 after first year (I'm at Leicester, girlfriend at Brum).

I''d just go to the one you prefer, might be partly decided by Birmingham being much bigger compared to Leicester as a city and as a uni (dinno whether you prefer smaller or bigger), though both have the set up of a campus slightly out of the city centre.

Birmingham is (it hurts to say) a better night out if that influences you, Leicester is probably friendlier and less impersonal simply due to the size difference.
Reply 2
i am actually looking for educatio differences and employment:smile: and tbh accomodation in leicester is about 4000 pounds per year where birmingham is between 6500-7500:smile:

social life is not that important as well as size of the city:smile:

anyway thanks for the reply
Reply 3
Original post by neves
i am actually looking for educatio differences and employment:smile: and tbh accomodation in leicester is about 4000 pounds per year where birmingham is between 6500-7500:smile:

social life is not that important as well as size of the city:smile:

anyway thanks for the reply

I assume you're talking about halls accommodation? If you want catered, ensuite rooms then yes, halls are expensive, but I know that halls at Leicester can also be expensive (my boyfriend is there). If you choose to go self catered/non ensuite/not Mason then it comes down to normal prices. I paid just over £4k for the year and now I'm paying only just over £3k.

You might also want to look at unistats.com for some more information on employment etc.
Reply 4
I did, and this is a problem, because all stats are pretty much the same! The differences are no bigger than 5% :/
Reply 5
Original post by My-My-My
I assume you're talking about halls accommodation? If you want catered, ensuite rooms then yes, halls are expensive, but I know that halls at Leicester can also be expensive (my boyfriend is there). If you choose to go self catered/non ensuite/not Mason then it comes down to normal prices. I paid just over £4k for the year and now I'm paying only just over £3k.

You might also want to look at unistats.com for some more information on employment etc.

Well I pay more than this (65 a week, so 200ish a year more) so Birmingham is definitely not much more!

And educational will depend on your specific interests within your field as much as anything else.
Reply 6
Original post by neves

Birmingham:
5th in guardian table
nice department
7500 accomodation cost
russell group

Leicester:
14th in guardian table
3500 accomodation cost
nice library

thanks!

In terms of the cities, Birmingham. I visit my friends in Leicester sometimes [I grew up in Birmingham] and it's a ****hole
Reply 7
Though I applied to both places, I withdrew from Bham and firmed Leicester, because I came to the conclusion that Leicester is a well rounded city. It's got two unis and is kinda small, its not dangerous and the uni as a whole is rated by guardian higher than Bham and also has a good cs rank. I would definitely ( as I have already ) firm Leicester. But you have to check both places out. It's your best option. On the other hand though, Bham is good. It's in a huge city with three unis. Only prob is that there's a smaller concentration of students versus the population of the city which is probably what you might not want.
Reply 8
The only thing I worry about is connection with industries, it looks like birmingham is way better than leicester as they are connected with microsoft, hp, oracle, IBM etc.
Reply 9
Brum is my first and leicester 2nd choice. Brum seems slightly better and asks for higher grades. So that comes into it. Accommodation they are both nice. Tbh if u have been to both then u should know from being there which one felt better. Personally I would do same as me.

Quick Reply

Latest