The Student Room Group

What is Birkbeck like? (applying for philosophy B.A)

I know that I can quite easily google this question but from what I have read the uni has undergone recent changes, in offering full-time courses, and I have seen very diverse reviews which are probably more of a reflection on the course than the university.

I have only heard good things about their philosophy department, which is apparently among the best in london. I'm also applying to Warwick, KCL, Heythrop and Birmingham.

From what I have heard, Birkbeck caters well for mature students and postgraduates. I am applying for the philosophy B.A which is 3 years full-time; I've actually got an interview this coming monday, which i'm a little nervous about.
Reply 1
Original post by Bigyouth
I know that I can quite easily google this question but from what I have read the uni has undergone recent changes, in offering full-time courses, and I have seen very diverse reviews which are probably more of a reflection on the course than the university.

I have only heard good things about their philosophy department, which is apparently among the best in london. I'm also applying to Warwick, KCL, Heythrop and Birmingham.

From what I have heard, Birkbeck caters well for mature students and postgraduates. I am applying for the philosophy B.A which is 3 years full-time; I've actually got an interview this coming monday, which i'm a little nervous about.

Check this out. I saw it yesterday! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y79Uhsm5tbc&feature=youtu.be

I'm starting at Birkbeck this October studying BA Linguistics and languages with Spanish and I've only heard good things and good reviews about the place. I haven't yet seen or heard a bad word against it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I have been there twice, for my interview and attended a taster evening a few days ago, it's a fantastic environment, really, very helpful staff, kind people, and the short lecture I attended (I'll be studying BA History) really made me look forward to starting in October. What's more, I made some friends in 1 hour time I was there, so yes, I would totally recommend BBK to you, even though I don't know about the other universities you applied to
Reply 3
Original post by Lore92
I have been there twice, for my interview and attended a taster evening a few days ago, it's a fantastic environment, really, very helpful staff, kind people, and the short lecture I attended (I'll be studying BA History) really made me look forward to starting in October. What's more, I made some friends in 1 hour time I was there, so yes, I would totally recommend BBK to you, even though I don't know about the other universities you applied to

Original post by akemikat
Check this out. I saw it yesterday! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y79Uhsm5tbc&feature=youtu.be

I'm starting at Birkbeck this October studying BA Linguistics and languages with Spanish and I've only heard good things and good reviews about the place. I haven't yet seen or heard a bad word against it.

Thanks very much for the advice, judging by the video it seems like a nice place. I look forward to the interview.
Reply 4
I'm a postgrad student there and I can tell you that most of the lecturers are very friendly and helpful towards the students. Overal it is quite mixed and diverse and people are friendly.
Don't worry about your interview too much, it will go just fine. I had one a month ago and it went smoothly and the interviewers were relaxed and very nice.

I don't know about your course, but as stated by others, there's nothing wrong with Birkbeck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending