The Student Room Group

Couch to Half Marathon (13.1 miles i.e. 21.1km) in 4 months - possible?!

Poll

Which run shall I enter this Autumn as my first proper one?

Hello all, let me firstly just say, i'm not completely a couch potato. I can jog/run 5km (3.1 miles), but not in a very quick or competitive time - say 27 minutes i.e. 9 minutes a mile jog at marathon pace, not normal pace, or quicker if I ran but no way I could keep up a run for 13.1 miles, so a jog all the way it is. I'm 20 years of age, about 84-85kg (and slowly on the decline with regular gyming and now running); 5 foot 11.5, fairly muscular, so not overweight/obese, but not an athlete either.

My aim, should I enter is to - very slowly jog and just complete the Half Marathon, not win it. It's a personal goal of just jogging the entire distance without stopping (something I thought I could never do) - in 2 hours would be great, but time is irrelevant.

But is it realistic, or even possible? I ask the latter because apart from a 5k, which doesn't really count, this would be my first official run - perhaps it is recommended to start with a 10k? The HM will be about early to mid-October, so I have roughly 4 months, or 16 weeks.

Lets say I can run 5k now. If I eat the right things, prepare well, and mix up my exercise being consistent with diet and training, could I cover the entire distance in say 2 hours? I don't mind even if it's just over, 2:15, or even 2:30, but I really just want to able to finish it.

My training plan would be something like (all twice a week) increasing only 1k a week, which seems quite realistic:

Week 1: 5km marathon-pace jog

Week 2: 6km m-p jog

Week 3: 7km m-p jog

Week 4: 8km m-p jog

and so on, until...

Week 16 (i.e. week before Marathon): 21.1km jog

I would be working out 4-5 times a week, the other 2-3 times would involve conditioning training, boxing, cycling, HIIT, rowing, etc, just to increase general fitness, increase strength/endurance, lower BF% and help me slowly increase the distance I can jog until I reach my goal.

One month earlier there is also a 10km. My main question is, shall I push myself and go for the half-marathon 21lm, or play it safe, go for the 10km, and then when i'm slightly fitter, more experienced in running, go for the HM?

Advice from fitness-gurus and previous/current runners would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi
I would say go for it if it has been a goal then achieve that goal then one day you may do a full one
If your mind is set your complete it no trouble

I'd you would like to do it in two hours you need to do 9.2 min mile I would maybe give yourself some give on that time.

I have never run but doing a extra 1km a week is slow progress
You are doing 5km why not do 10km this week

Push yourself you want to be able to do 20km a few weeks before the run then you will be confident

As for training why not go up 2.5km a week

I'm not much of a runner myself but everything is about training

If your going to the gym some circuits would be great and a killer

Any questions just ask
Hopefully it helped a little

Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by 1992dean
Hi
I would say go for it if it has been a goal then achieve that goal then one day you may do a full one
If your mind is set your complete it no trouble

I'd you would like to do it in two hours you need to do 9.2 min mile I would maybe give yourself some give on that time.

I have never run but doing a extra 1km a week is slow progress
You are doing 5km why not do 10km this week

Push yourself you want to be able to do 20km a few weeks before the run then you will be confident

As for training why not go up 2.5km a week

I'm not much of a runner myself but everything is about training

If your going to the gym some circuits would be great and a killer

Any questions just ask
Hopefully it helped a little

Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hey, thanks for your reply!

I really want to do it, I believe I might be able to do it, but to a professional runner reading this, they might think "Don't run before you can walk." And they kind of have a point, don't think i've ever walked 21km in my life in one go before, nevermind jogged it.

Jumping from 5k to 10k isn't really recommended. And while 5km ---> 7.5km ---> 10km isn't too bad, the jumps from there get quite rapid to do a mile and a half per week.

I just feel like 1km a week is quite steady and possible and sustainable without being ambitious or surreal.

I shall definitely incorporate circuits and other types of high-intensity training to mix up exercise and improve fitness.

Once again thanks for your reply, but i'm still unsure whether to go for 10km or 21km as my first marathon :redface:
Reply 3
Also, how long should I wait after a meal before I begin my run? I've heard that you can get a stitch if you run soon after.

And when it says you should carb-load before a marathon (the day before), will eating a lot of carbs 24 hours before really give you that much energy to run in the morning? What about them being digested and used to replenish stores in the day and overnight?
Reply 4
Original post by RollandGarros
Also, how long should I wait after a meal before I begin my run? I've heard that you can get a stitch if you run soon after.

And when it says you should carb-load before a marathon (the day before), will eating a lot of carbs 24 hours before really give you that much energy to run in the morning? What about them being digested and used to replenish stores in the day and overnight?

Its down to you when you eat but i would not eat just before as for me i get a stitch or just feel like crap

Carb-load is pretty important and it will help, i would personal do it. In the morning bananas and high quick release energy carbs too
Reply 5
Hey, thanks for your reply!

I really want to do it, I believe I might be able to do it, but to a professional runner reading this, they might think "Don't run before you can walk." And they kind of have a point, don't think i've ever walked 21km in my life in one go before, nevermind jogged it.

Jumping from 5k to 10k isn't really recommended. And while 5km ---> 7.5km ---> 10km isn't too bad, the jumps from there get quite rapid to do a mile and a half per week.

I just feel like 1km a week is quite steady and possible and sustainable without being ambitious or surreal.

I shall definitely incorporate circuits and other types of high-intensity training to mix up exercise and improve fitness.

Once again thanks for your reply, but i'm still unsure whether to go for 10km or 21km as my first marathon :redface:

Thanks for saying thank you

You can happierly do 5k so why go for 10k, to be honest your 20 not too heavy and could be prepared in 4 months. i am not a runner to help lose fat i ran, just got out and did it, i ended up doing 6.5km. At first it was hard and then once you have done it a few times then it gets easier (like anything)

Therefore as your young and already do 5km why not hit 10km straight away for 2 weeks and then go up 1km each week from there. You say a mile and a half jump each week but to be fair that is a extra 20 minutes. I just think at your age you can happierly go out tomorrow and do 10km with no training (will be hard but you will end up doing it walking jogging or running)

You can do a 13 miles and its your goal so why settle for less
Hello all, let me firstly just say, i'm not completely a couch potato. I can jog/run 5km (3.1 miles), but not in a very quick or competitive time - say 27 minutes i.e. 9 minutes a mile jog at marathon pace, not normal pace, or quicker if I ran but no way I could keep up a run for 13.1 miles, so a jog all the way it is. I'm 20 years of age, about 84-85kg (and slowly on the decline with regular gyming and now running); 5 foot 11.5, fairly muscular, so not overweight/obese, but not an athlete either.

My aim, should I enter is to - very slowly jog and just complete the Half Marathon, not win it. It's a personal goal of just jogging the entire distance without stopping (something I thought I could never do) - in 2 hours would be great, but time is irrelevant.

But is it realistic, or even possible? I ask the latter because apart from a 5k, which doesn't really count, this would be my first official run - perhaps it is recommended to start with a 10k? The HM will be about early to mid-October, so I have roughly 4 months, or 16 weeks.

One month earlier there is also a 10km. My main question is, shall I push myself and go for the half-marathon 21lm, or play it safe, go for the 10km, and then when i'm slightly fitter, more experienced in running, go for the HM?

If you're willing to train for it (which you seem like you are), then four months should be plenty of time :smile: I agree with 1992dean though- increasing by 1km per week maybe isn't the best way to go about it. I mean, it would probably work but for peace of mind as much as anything else, it might help to give yourself a bit of leeway by, for example, increasing by 1 mile per week so that you're ready a few weeks in advance. That way, you can afford to miss one or two days if you have to- eg. if you're unwell or if you're busy for one or two of the weeks and don't get the chance to increase your distance, then it shouldn't really matter. Additionally, it's normally recommended not to do too much running in the week prior to the race. There are loads of half-marathon plans on the internet; it might be best to take a look at one of those. Here are a few examples:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-half-marathon/
http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/basichalf.htm
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-10-week-150-plus-half-marathon-schedules/99.html

There's no harm in starting training for the half. If you find a few weeks in that it's getting difficult or that it's not enjoyable, then there's also no harm in aiming for the 10k instead. Whichever you feel more comfortable with. It shouldn't be all that much of a disadvantage though, going from 5k to a half-marathon without having done a 10k. It's good that you've at least some form of race experience (ie. the 5k). Races are good for confidence but I wouldn't say all they're essential if you're just aiming to complete the course. I did a marathon a few weeks ago and was a little worried about not having done a half-marathon beforehand (I'd never raced anything longer than a 10k) but it turned out fine. I mean, as long as you can complete the distances in your own training, it shouldn't really matter.

I'd suggest maybe picking out a second half-marathon at a later date as a back-up plan, so if you don't feel ready by October, you'll have something to fall back on and all your training won't have gone to waste.

Good luck, and come join us in The Running Thread! You'll get plenty of advice and encouragement there. Like I mentioned earlier, I've never done a half-marathon so I can't offer much specific advice but there are plenty in the running thread who have so you might have more luck posting in there :smile:
...)

I started running in February using the Couch to 5k NHS program, and did a half marathon last Sunday! Considering you can already run 3 miles comfortably you have plenty of time as long as you put in the training.

I hadn't been in any other competitive races or longer distance runs at all, and I managed to run the whole course (including hills!). I didn't go for a fast time and in fact it took me 2:33 to complete it but I was just happy to finish and not walk any.

I think you should definitely go for it :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
I started running in February using the Couch to 5k NHS program, and did a half marathon last Sunday! Considering you can already run 3 miles comfortably you have plenty of time as long as you put in the training.

I hadn't been in any other competitive races or longer distance runs at all, and I managed to run the whole course (including hills!). I didn't go for a fast time and in fact it took me 2:33 to complete it but I was just happy to finish and not walk any.

I think you should definitely go for it :smile:

Oooh that's quite encouraging, thanks for that! Can I just ask what kind of training regime you had for the HM? And what kind of diet you ate throughout, and the day before/on the day?

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's quite motivating to now enter the HM! :smile:
Firstly, try not to increase your training by more than 10% each week...your likelihood of injury increases the more mileage you add on (I found this out the hard way).

Secondly, you only need to carb-load for a Marathon. A Half Marathon is not long enough to deplete your carbohydrate stores so carb-loading isn't necessary. Still, no harm in having pasta the day before (provided you have tried pasta in training).

4 months is enough time to train for a Half Marathon from your base, especially as it looks like you intend to train for it seriously. My advice would be to enter both races- train for the HM and treat the 10km as a fast training run. Clearly the half is your ultimate goal and so that is what you should aim for- you won't feel satisfied unless you complete it.

If you haven't entered any races before then I would strongly recommend entering the 'less important' one (the 10k) in order to get used to how races work, the atmosphere on the day, dealing with nerves etc. This will make you feel more confident for the Half Marathon.

In terms of constantly jogging without stopping, don't underestimate the importance of adrenaline on the day. I entered my first HM in October last year having been running (not seriously) for 6 months and got around without stopping. 6 months later the same for my first Marathon (26.2 miles) even though the furthest I'd run previously without walking/stopping was 13.1. Adrenaline/nerves keep you going.

Also, maybe others will disagree, but I wouldn't advise running 13.1 miles or more until Half Marathon day. For me it was important for my first 10k, Half Marathon and Marathon that race day be the first time I had 'conquered' the distance. For me, it was a psychological boost and I don't think my times suffered unduly.
Oooh that's quite encouraging, thanks for that! Can I just ask what kind of training regime you had for the HM? And what kind of diet you ate throughout, and the day before/on the day?

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's quite motivating to now enter the HM! :smile:

Well, I 'loosely' followed a plan supplied by the organisers of the HM I ran, but have to be honest I didn't really stick to it and just went at my own pace. I tended to do a short run or 2 in the week, some interval work and then try and get a longer run in as well. Although sometimes I ended up doing just a short run and then a long run. I did also go to the gym as well though for cross training.

I'm on bit of a health kick, so I do eat relatively healthy. Lots of protein and veg and I try to limit my carbs to wholemeal/wholegrain varieties. The week leading up to it I ate more carbs than normal, and on the day I just had some porridge and a banana (around 6.30am and I started running at 9, I ate early as I tend to get stomach ache otherwise :redface: ). Also important to drink a lot leading up to it!
Reply 11
Original post by standreams
Firstly, try not to increase your training by more than 10% each week...your likelihood of injury increases the more mileage you add on (I found this out the hard way).

Secondly, you only need to carb-load for a Marathon. A Half Marathon is not long enough to deplete your carbohydrate stores so carb-loading isn't necessary. Still, no harm in having pasta the day before (provided you have tried pasta in training).

4 months is enough time to train for a Half Marathon from your base, especially as it looks like you intend to train for it seriously. My advice would be to enter both races- train for the HM and treat the 10km as a fast training run. Clearly the half is your ultimate goal and so that is what you should aim for- you won't feel satisfied unless you complete it.

If you haven't entered any races before then I would strongly recommend entering the 'less important' one (the 10k) in order to get used to how races work, the atmosphere on the day, dealing with nerves etc. This will make you feel more confident for the Half Marathon.

In terms of constantly jogging without stopping, don't underestimate the importance of adrenaline on the day. I entered my first HM in October last year having been running (not seriously) for 6 months and got around without stopping. 6 months later the same for my first Marathon (26.2 miles) even though the furthest I'd run previously without walking/stopping was 13.1. Adrenaline/nerves keep you going.

Also, maybe others will disagree, but I wouldn't advise running 13.1 miles or more until Half Marathon day. For me it was important for my first 10k, Half Marathon and Marathon that race day be the first time I had 'conquered' the distance. For me, it was a psychological boost and I don't think my times suffered unduly.

Thank you for your post! Your last point is quite interesting, and others have said you should do it a month in advance, but you say not at all. Both have their merits, but i'm still unsure which I should go for. Guess i'll just start the training and see how it goes from there.

As increasing gently (your first point), I sort of made that clear in my OP despite others saying it might be slow progress because I know I don't want to risk injury, I want to complete it steadily and yep, I just have to work hard, and train hard.

The problem with entering both is the cost. I know it's not really that much but one is £31, the other is about £21. If I can, i'd rather pay the 31 only just for the HM because I guess I could do the 10k around an athletics track at my gym (for free) or around a park route which I know which is about 10k :dontknow:

So, I'm officially entering the HM :smile:
Reply 12
Good for you,

Good luck training, you can do it
Reply 13
Half the people in the poll voted for go for the 10k first. Perhaps these people know something I don't, in terms of 'don't try too much the first time'.

If it's not recommended/potentially dangerous, can you tell me why? I really want to enter the HM but a part of me is slightly scared about it being too much distance, and too little time. Also, the fact that you should train more than once a week, some people do 3-4 times a week.

For me, in 10 weeks to do be doing 10 miles in one go, anything more than once a week is quite daunting. Do I slow my increasing amount as the distance increases?

I'm prepared to work hard, but don't want to put an excessive strain on my body. I guess some assurance and motivated to keep me going would be useful! :smile:
Half the people in the poll voted for go for the 10k first. Perhaps these people know something I don't, in terms of 'don't try too much the first time'.

If it's not recommended/potentially dangerous, can you tell me why? I really want to enter the HM but a part of me is slightly scared about it being too much distance, and too little time. Also, the fact that you should train more than once a week, some people do 3-4 times a week.

For me, in 10 weeks to do be doing 10 miles in one go, anything more than once a week is quite daunting. Do I slow my increasing amount as the distance increases?

I'm prepared to work hard, but don't want to put an excessive strain on my body. I guess some assurance and motivated to keep me going would be useful! :smile:

A 10km makes sense purely because if you're training for a HM you'll be running 10km+ regularly in training anyway, so why not do the 10km race in the process? I wouldn't see it as training for a 10km and then training for a HM, think of it as training for a HM with a 10km as part of that training schedule. As someone else said, it gets you used to the atmosphere on the day and running with more people, plus it's a good ego-boost mid-training schedule to get a decent 10km time to show you're improving.

You don't need excessive training, but a couple of times a week is helpful. Most my friends run shorter (but faster) runs (~10km) and/or speed training once or twice a week on week nights, and then go for a long-haul run at the weekend. That way training is varied and doesn't take up too much time. The amount of training you do really depends on how dedicated you are to getting a good time. 3-4 times a week is a good idea if you want a time to be proud of, but 1-2 times a week is fine if you just want to get round in one piece.

If you can, join a running club. It's great for getting into the habit of running, and gives the motivation to go out even if the weather sucks. Once you get into the swing of things it really isn't that much more to do running club + 2 more runs a week.

By the sounds of things your schedule is more than reasonable and you're starting from a good fitness so you should be absolutely fine. As I said before, it's more about what sort of time you're aiming for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15

Lets say I can run 5k now. If I eat the right things, prepare well, and mix up my exercise being consistent with diet and training, could I cover the entire distance in say 2 hours? I don't mind even if it's just over, 2:15, or even 2:30, but I really just want to able to finish it.

My training plan would be something like (all twice a week) increasing only 1k a week, which seems quite realistic:

and so on, until...

I would be working out 4-5 times a week, the other 2-3 times would involve conditioning training, boxing, cycling, HIIT, rowing, etc, just to increase general fitness, increase strength/endurance, lower BF% and help me slowly increase the distance I can jog until I reach my goal.

Advice from fitness-gurus and previous/current runners would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

firstly, be careful. Running is a draining sport. if you arent a natural or experienced runner, you can expect to suffer. getting out and just cranking out the miles is quite an inefficient way to train.

you should aim for a pacey session, a speed or hills session and a long slow session every week.

So a short run say 5k or 10k later on, at near your max speed for the distance. a session were you find a steep hill, and run up and jog down it till you die, and a long slow run, usually based on time not distance.

The first works the CV system, conditions the muscles and helps improve your lactic acid threshold.

The second works the CV system and will build power and strength in your legs, plus push your heart and lungs.

The last should be done on time, so say 1 hour week 1, 1hr 15 week 3, 1 hr 30 week 5 etc. This will condition your legs for being used for the sort of time you can expect, will teach you to work at a sustainable pace, and work on efficiency at the lower range.

I would limit to one other session, probably a swim as it builds up your core, as rest is equally important.

dont be too anal with food. you need fuel if you train hard, just dont cram rubbish down you every meal.

stretch everyday regardless, drink lots of water, and increase gradually. Hitting your training regime at full tilt will leave you with some sort of injury.

train sensibly and you will finish.
Reply 16
Original post by c471
firstly, be careful. Running is a draining sport. if you arent a natural or experienced runner, you can expect to suffer. getting out and just cranking out the miles is quite an inefficient way to train.

you should aim for a pacey session, a speed or hills session and a long slow session every week.

So a short run say 5k or 10k later on, at near your max speed for the distance. a session were you find a steep hill, and run up and jog down it till you die, and a long slow run, usually based on time not distance.

The first works the CV system, conditions the muscles and helps improve your lactic acid threshold.

The second works the CV system and will build power and strength in your legs, plus push your heart and lungs.

The last should be done on time, so say 1 hour week 1, 1hr 15 week 3, 1 hr 30 week 5 etc. This will condition your legs for being used for the sort of time you can expect, will teach you to work at a sustainable pace, and work on efficiency at the lower range.

I would limit to one other session, probably a swim as it builds up your core, as rest is equally important.

dont be too anal with food. you need fuel if you train hard, just dont cram rubbish down you every meal.

stretch everyday regardless, drink lots of water, and increase gradually. Hitting your training regime at full tilt will leave you with some sort of injury.

train sensibly and you will finish.

Excuse my naivety, I am just starting out, but do I need to do a pacey and hill session? I was initially planning on just running X distance and then increasing X by 1km at marathon pace until I ran the distance in training and then did it at the same pace I did it in training.

Sort of like doing mocks for the real exam :dontknow:

Also, if I do need to (and I understand your science behind why I should), can my pacey session be something like HIIT boxing/rowing and hill be incline on a treadmill, or does it have to be outdoor?

Thanks for the reply! :smile:

and so on, until...

If you train hard and consistently I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. Push hard and go for the half marathon, 10k is too achievable IMO.
Reply 18
Excuse my naivety, I am just starting out, but do I need to do a pacey and hill session? I was initially planning on just running X distance and then increasing X by 1km at marathon pace until I ran the distance in training and then did it at the same pace I did it in training.

Also, if I do need to (and I understand your science behind why I should), can my pacey session be something like HIIT boxing/rowing and hill be incline on a treadmill, or does it have to be outdoor?

well you could just do distance. but you will improve faster with these sort of workouts. You really need to be running at least twice a week, and two distance sessions will put a lot of pressure on your joints, especially if you are new to running.

also, you would probably find your program would cause you to plateau. the first half of the runs are unlikely to push you. your HM pace for like 5/6/7/8/9/10k should be a very easy run. In a HM you shouldnt feel like you are pushing yourself in the first half, typically a steady first half followed by pushing the second is a good tactic. This means your training isnt pushing you for most of the program, and if you want to improve, you need to push yourself hard.

That means until you start getting close to your full distance, your training has only really been half effective.
of course you can adopt that approach and no doubt finish, but nobody prefers to limp across the line in 2:30, to finishing feeling good in sub 2.

what you are saying about another discpline as a HIIT session is called cross training. It still faces some controversy amongst runners. As somebody who recently moved into triathlon, obviously I cross train as a matter of neccesity. After a year out from all cardio, swimming,cycling and running took me from nothing to a 40 min 10k in a months and a half. However, a lifetime of exercise and a history of cross country no doubt means I have a lot in the tank when it comes to running.

Typically though, the general wisdom is: 'if you want to get better at running, go running'.

If you genuinely enjoy these alternative session more than a running session, have a particular reason to do it or feel like running is putting too much strain on your legs, do it. If you want what is most effective, go running.
Also, treadmills arent great imo, but if you dont really have a choice, they suffice. nothing replicates real running in my opinion.

At the end of the day though, you have to keep it enjoyable. Take on board what i suggested, and change little bits here and there to suit you. If you dont get satisfaction out of it, you wont keep it up.

is there any reason why your Not using the BUPA training programme already suggested above? Im using it for the 10k and its going well so far. I have shin splints, so it seems to be working as I can train 3 times a week, usually I would have to rest my legs for a week if I ran two times the week before.

I have almost the same stats as you, but im 6ft, when I started by training for a 5k. When I started I couldn't run for 2 mins lol, now my time is around 29 mins in unfavourable conditions, I have never ran on a nice Sunny day. I ran at nite when its cold, windy or raining. Im training for triathlons so my goals are different from yours. But its seems like youre doing too much and not enough. I would cut out doing any type of HIIT that uses your legs, you need to give them time to recover as running is a high impact activity. I made the mistake of doing hiit and 5k training now I have the injury to show for it.

I also suggest you look into triathlon training. You'll have a great body if you put serious effort into it. I speak from experience. I when I look at my arms and legs, im like damnnnnnn. And I've never step foot inside a gym. Not bad for someone who was obese 7mnts ago. Haha

Quick Reply