Tell me why being called a 'paki' is offensive? Watch

ZeeAli
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
i know this will spark loads of debate but im just interested as to why its like a british person being called a brit ... :/
SquaredCircle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's historically been associated with racist abuse and so when a white person calls a Pakistani or any brown person that word, however ignorant that white person is, it suggests the white person is trying to assert authority over the brown person.
Reemaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dont find it that offensive tbh... i use that term a lot and so do my friends, but thats just between us pakis :P
but i guess if some random white person shouted that paki at me, id be like wtf? cos its just associated with racism

edit: why the negs?
aqquaintance_sport
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it depends how it's used. One of my best friends in school called Mansour called himself a 'P***' and never used the 'Stani' at the end. I've heard loads of them use that word to describe themselves actually.

It depends how it's being said. Brit is the same, they're offensive if you mean it to be offensive/said in a derogatory way.
Username_valid
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not really the term as loads of Pakistanis call themselves 'paki' similar to how a British person can be called a brit however as soon as it's said with the intention of being offensive or racist then it becomes offensive or racist. It's not really the term but more the intention.
aqquaintance_sport
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SquaredCircle)
It's historically been associated with racist abuse and so when a white person calls a Pakistani or any brown person that word, however ignorant that white person is, it suggests the white person is trying to assert authority over the brown person.
I've heard Black people used that word a lot. Stop singling people out, it only makes you look like the ignorant one.
Peggles_*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ZeeAli)
i know this will spark loads of debate but im just interested as to why its like a british person being called a brit ... :/

You again. Is this about you and your 'freshies' :unimpressed:

The term 'paki' is used in a derogatory way whereas ‘brit’ isn’t.
ZeeAli
Rep:
?
hmm i suppose so :/ i just wondered how other people protrayed it :/
ZeeAli
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peggles_*)
You again. Is this about you and your 'freshies' :unimpressed:

The term 'paki' is use in a derogatory way whereas ‘Brit’ isn’t.
haha shut upp i had a bad day today because of them IM ON FIRE TODAY LOL
Steezy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well if there was a history of people shouting abuse at you, threatening or actually carrying out violence on you, dirty looks, etc. All whilst they call you a 'Brit', you might mind being called a Brit.
GrantG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's got a harsh vowel sound.
Palatial Veranda
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would class it as more of a spiky word

It's all about the Kiki/Bouba Effect for me.

Above we have Kiki and Bouba. Which is which? Kiki is the angular shape of course. I feel that this is more aggressive. I also think Paki is an angular word and would be far less offensive if it was modified to Pasi. Although not as rounded as 'Bouba' it represents a step in the right direction.

In summary, replace the 'K' in the word with something else and all problems will be solved . . . .
SquaredCircle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aqquaintance_sport)
I've heard Black people used that word a lot. Stop singling people out, it only makes you look like the ignorant one.
Ok thank you
BigMoz93
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was once called Paki by a 'Bangladeshi'. As a white 'Brit' should I be offended?
Phantom Lord
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the 60s-80s mostly white gangs would go up to Asians and then call them 'Paki *******s' or something similar then attack them. So that's why it's a bit controversial.
ZeeAli
Rep:
?
(Original post by BigMoz93)
I was once called Paki by a 'Bangladeshi'. As a white 'Brit' should I be offended?
im whiteee too people just judgeeeeeeeeeeeee
katyness
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Me and my friends call them 'Kebabs' or 'kebabis'
ZeeAli
Rep:
?
(Original post by AkaJetson)
In the 60s-80s mostly white gangs would go up to Asians and then call them 'Paki *******s' or something similar then attack them. So that's why it's a bit controversial.
i seee :/ racism was stronger in those days :/
ZeeAli
Rep:
?
because they make good kebabs ? lol
MonkeyMan2009
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ZeeAli)
has history or racist usage . . . . my gf is pakistani and uses it as a abbreviation for other pakistanis, but non-pakistanis aren't allowed to use the word apparently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (526)
66.84%
No (261)
33.16%

Watched Threads