Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 23 and I have no career path, it's starting to get to me and I'm frustrated! watch

ReputationRep:
    I am searching online for advice, but there's nowhere I can go for decent advice. I come here because I hope for help, but I can't seem to find it here either. I mean the majority of people on here are helpful, but I'm searching for some magical advice from somewhere. I know it's crazy, and not everyone is going to be able to help me out. I'm just frustrated because I have no clear career path, and although I want to go back to education, I feel that I'm going to be too old. I just think to myself that If I start back at college this year, I'll be 24 in August, then if I started Uni next year I'd be 25 years old! Time I graduate I'd be 28, and by that time most people have completed University and are in a stable career, whereas I would be just starting out. Also, I don't know if I want to be living like a student for 3 years of my life, when I could be earning money.

But then, I think about if I go to uni I could gain a degree that could help towards my future career. I was looking into Physiotherapy, but then I'm crap at maths and Physiotherapy is also a competitive degree choice, so my chances of getting on the degree could be slim. And I don't want to go wasting my time and money on an access course to get onto a Physio degree, only to then be turned down and for me to have to do something else. I can't afford to keep paying for access course at £1400 at a time.

I just want a decent career, but university has never entered my mind until now. I mean I thought about it vaguely a couple of years ago, but I was always reluctant because I wasn't sure about a degree choice. Now everyone seems to be going back to University or education, and I feel like I'm going to fall behind if I don't make up my mind on something ASAP.

I currently work for a family member, but I just can't concentrate on work at the moment, as I'm too worried about my future. Money is good, but If I can't find a stable career, I'm going to be stuck for the rest of my life. And for many careers you need a degree now, so my chances of securing a stable career are lessened without a degree.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice. I am so frustrated right now, I need to decided ASAP what I should do.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm 28 and I have no career path either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    I am searching online for advice, but there's nowhere I can go for decent advice. I come here because I hope for help, but I can't seem to find it here either. I mean the majority of people on here are helpful, but I'm searching for some magical advice from somewhere. I know it's crazy, and not everyone is going to be able to help me out. I'm just frustrated because I have no clear career path, and although I want to go back to education, I feel that I'm going to be too old. I just think to myself that If I start back at college this year, I'll be 24 in August, then if I started Uni next year I'd be 25 years old! Time I graduate I'd be 28, and by that time most people have completed University and are in a stable career, whereas I would be just starting out. Also, I don't know if I want to be living like a student for 3 years of my life, when I could be earning money.

But then, I think about if I go to uni I could gain a degree that could help towards my future career. I was looking into Physiotherapy, but then I'm crap at maths and Physiotherapy is also a competitive degree choice, so my chances of getting on the degree could be slim. And I don't want to go wasting my time and money on an access course to get onto a Physio degree, only to then be turned down and for me to have to do something else. I can't afford to keep paying for access course at £1400 at a time.

I just want a decent career, but university has never entered my mind until now. I mean I thought about it vaguely a couple of years ago, but I was always reluctant because I wasn't sure about a degree choice. Now everyone seems to be going back to University or education, and I feel like I'm going to fall behind if I don't make up my mind on something ASAP.

I currently work for a family member, but I just can't concentrate on work at the moment, as I'm too worried about my future. Money is good, but If I can't find a stable career, I'm going to be stuck for the rest of my life. And for many careers you need a degree now, so my chances of securing a stable career are lessened without a degree.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice. I am so frustrated right now, I need to decided ASAP what I should do.
    I cannot really tell you which career path to choose, that's up to you and your personal preferences. Yet, I would strongly suggest you go to uni. You are not too old. There are many people who pursue a degree in their 30s or 40s or even later in life.

If you are feeling frustrated now for not having a career path, imagine how it would be like in ten years time. Do it now cause it will be much easier. Work hard so you don't have to work harder

ReputationRep:

Recruitment agencies? you should really do you own research into careers. Goofgle say - top 10 careers 2012.

ReputationRep:
    Well for one thing, I wouldn't go for physio unless it's something you're actually really interested in. As well as it being a competitive degree it's actually a very competitive career, there are many qualified physios out there competing for very few jobs in physiotherapy, there just isn't the demand to meet the number of students getting a physio degree.

As for being too old to go back into education, you're not. I'm studying medicine (which I admit is different because chances of a career afterwards are high) and there are people on my course in their 40s, and we're talking about a 5 year degree here.

Personally, I think higher education is a good option but only if there's something that you're passionate about studying. There's no point in getting a fluffy degree that doesn't increase your job prospects one jot, you may aswell get moving up the career ladder now. But like I say, if you can think of a serious degree that you're passionate about and will work hard at then you should go for it. A good way of determining whether a degree is actually likely to benefit you is to use a website like unistats. You'll be able to see what percentage of students go on to get a job within 6 months of finishing their degree, obviously the higher that is the better.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Go to University, and pursue what you want to do 23 is young, and you still have enough time to decide what you want to do and apply for uni. I'd say to apply this year in hopes to start in Septmber 2013. Then with whatever degree you applied for, maybe do a years work experience in preparation for this!

Come to Oxford Brookes! And Ill help you through it xx

Best of luck !!

Kudos for thinking about uni, better late than never !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxjessicajadexx)
    Well for one thing, I wouldn't go for physio unless it's something you're actually really interested in. As well as it being a competitive degree it's actually a very competitive career, there are many qualified physios out there competing for very few jobs in physiotherapy, there just isn't the demand to meet the number of students getting a physio degree.

As for being too old to go back into education, you're not. I'm studying medicine (which I admit is different because chances of a career afterwards are high) and there are people on my course in their 40s, and we're talking about a 5 year degree here.

Personally, I think higher education is a good option but only if there's something that you're passionate about studying. There's no point in getting a fluffy degree that doesn't increase your job prospects one jot, you may aswell get moving up the career ladder now. But like I say, if you can think of a serious degree that you're passionate about and will work hard at then you should go for it. A good way of determining whether a degree is actually likely to benefit you is to use a website like unistats. You'll be able to see what percentage of students go on to get a job within 6 months of finishing their degree, obviously the higher that is the better.

Best of luck!
    With you knowing more about a health career, do you think that Physiotherapy would be a bad option then? I am really interested in Physiotherapy, but if I'm not going to be able to find a job in the NHS, then it would seem kind of pointless. I also like the prospects for a Physiotherapist in the NHS, and starting salary is decent too.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, not many people have a defined career path at your age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRL)
    Don't worry, not many people have a defined career path at your age.
    Yeah, but at least there's many people my age already in University. It's annoying when you don't know what to follow for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but at least there's many people my age already in University. It's annoying when you don't know what to follow for sure.
    Its annoying, but it means there are more doors open. A lot of people are very stubborn about what they want to do and end up in a job/career that they hate down the line.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Why do you have to pick something 'for sure'? Nowadays people change career an average of 3 times between 18 and retirement. The days of a single job from 18-65 are long gone.

You are clearly getting to a point where 'dithering' is beginning to damage your resolve to make decisions and you appeal to employers. Pick SOMETHING and give it a proper go. And don't presume you can start off with your ideal job, it's very rare to be able to do that. Mostly, people have to take two or three or sometimes more steps to the job they actually want. So it might be an 4-8 year plan, but that's what a career is, a series of jobs you plan until you are happy staying where you are. But even then life changes and you might want to change career, and that's fine.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You don't have to go to university to have a good career, and unless you know what you want to do there is little point in going at all. Have you tried getting work experience in areas you are interested in, such as physiotherapy? That will help to give you an idea of whether it is something you would like to do or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Why do you have to pick something 'for sure'? Nowadays people change career an average of 3 times between 18 and retirement. The days of a single job from 18-65 are long gone.

You are clearly getting to a point where 'dithering' is beginning to damage your resolve to make decisions and you appeal to employers. Pick SOMETHING and give it a proper go. And don't presume you can start off with your ideal job, it's very rare to be able to do that. Mostly, people have to take two or three or sometimes more steps to the job they actually want. So it might be an 4-8 year plan, but that's what a career is, a series of jobs you plan until you are happy staying where you are. But even then life changes and you might want to change career, and that's fine.
    Yeah I guess so, but I can only go to University once. If I go more than once it starts becoming more expensive. This is why I want to pick a career I'll be happy in, while also being stable. Physiotherapy is something I've thought about for a while, but I just haven't had the grades to get onto a course. So now I need to go back to college and get onto an access course, which will hopefully help me get entry into Uni. I will still need to work hard and get the best grades, otherwise I'll end up in the same position again. There's many things I am interested in pursuing in the near future, for e.g. run my own sport nutrition business, maybe open a boxing gym, maybe pursue singing (maybe upload some vids on youtube), I also want to make a Youtube channel dedicated to fitness and healthy eating, maybe try do some kind of business course in my spare time too. I don't want to just say these things and not pursue them, so I definitely want to try aim for all this stuff. I could have gone into boxing professionally, but I don't want to get my head punched in for a living! lol.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    So why aren't you applying for Access courses?

Then choose from
    • running a sport nutrition business (time consuming and requires capital investment, so almost certainly a non-starter atm)
    • opening a boxing gym (same, requires large capital investment and rent, insurance etc, so almost certainly a non starter atm)
    • start a you-tube channel (low to nil set up costs, mostly only time lost if it fails)

So that seems fairly self-selecting, although more realistically, could you get part time work helping out at a boxing club?

There you go, that's the next 18 months sorted out and you are one step closer to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    So why aren't you applying for Access courses?

Then choose from
    • running a sport nutrition business (time consuming and requires capital investment, so almost certainly a non-starter atm)
    • opening a boxing gym (same, requires large capital investment and rent, insurance etc, so almost certainly a non starter atm)
    • start a you-tube channel (low to nil set up costs, mostly only time lost if it fails)

So that seems fairly self-selecting, although more realistically, could you get part time work helping out at a boxing club?

There you go, that's the next 18 months sorted out and you are one step closer to university.
    Well I'm looking into Access courses at the moment. I have thought about International Relations degree, but I would prefer to study Physiotherapy as I am probably more interested in the human body. I am not that good at maths either, and to be honest, I struggle with it. After I got bad GCSEs, I had to go to community college and get my level 2 in maths and english (equivalent to grade C at GCSE), so I guess that's another reason why I've kind of dithered on deciding to go for a degree or not. But then I realise that if I don't go to Uni, I don't think I have much chance of getting a stable career. I've been in and out of different jobs pretty much since I was 17, until I decided to go to college. And I can't get into Physiotherapy without a degree, so it seems the only way. But other people have said that I can't let my maths hold me back from succeeding or getting a degree.

ReputationRep:
    If your current job pays OK, why not do a part time degree?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Does anyone know about the current job prospects for physiotherapy

ReputationRep:
    Here's a plan for you. Stop posting threads about how you're trying to make a decision and make a decision.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about that.
    It doesn't matter if you didn't go to university directly after leaving school: not everyone does.
    If you go to university next year, and study a degree course for 4 or 5 years, you'll be 28 or 29 when you graduate as you pointed out.
    This means you have between 30 and 35 years of working life before you retire, perhaps longer. You're never 'too old' to return to education.
    I know quite a few people who didn't go to university after leaving school, myself included, they worked for a number of years before taking the plunge, and going back to full-time education.

Are you eligible for funding?
    You should plan the direction you want your life to take.
    Then gradually move towards those goals in small steps.
    How do you know for definite you won't get a place?
    Do you have the required academic grades to study Physiotherapy?
    You won't be wasting your time, if you are absolutely certain that is what you want to do.

A degree doesn't guarantee you a job, although, you will just be in a slightly better position than you are in just now, just with a degree under your belt.

Have you thought about any other careers apart from Physiotherapy?
    Don't be worried about the future. Just don't keep putting off planning your way out of your current situation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23, went to university got my grades and I still don't know what I want to do.
    Maybe do some more research into areas you think you'd be interested in, see if you can set up a meeting with someone in that field and then just ask them questions about what you can expect and see if it still sounds like something you'd like.
    I don't think we are ever too old to change career but you have to be willing, patient and able to afford the wage drop whilst your learning.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.