This discussion is closed.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I heard about a family friend last night who has donated £17,000 to the Unioversity of Manchester library. His daughter if a law finalist there and in donating this money this guy reckons he's guaranteed his daughter a 2:1. He doesn't think she'll get a first because apparently you have to donate about £70,000 for that. Since He made the donation her grades have drastically improved.

I think its disgraceful that its possible to "buy" degrees. I have worked my ass off over the last 3 years and will be lucky to come out with a 2:2, but this girl just needs to get daddy to pay £17,000 and she gets a 2:1. How unfair is that?!
suz19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's terrible! But aren't all the exam papers etc marked externally so that that sort of thing doesn't happen?
malledo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Totally unfair. For £17k she should get a first.
ha ha ha Nice
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think its appauling that money can but stuff like that...which other people have to work hard to gain...

This guy at my skl in the year above...his dad donated loads of money to the school....and he managed to get Head Boy.....odd??..definitely!

G
theycallmemrpig
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
bloody disgraceful indeed geoffrey-san

But brian did do a damn good job though,
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
I heard about a family friend last night who has donated £17,000 to the Unioversity of Manchester library. His daughter if a law finalist there and in donating this money this guy reckons he's guaranteed his daughter a 2:1. He doesn't think she'll get a first because apparently you have to donate about £70,000 for that. Since He made the donation her grades have drastically improved.

I think its disgraceful that its possible to "buy" degrees. I have worked my ass off over the last 3 years and will be lucky to come out with a 2:2, but this girl just needs to get daddy to pay £17,000 and she gets a 2:1. How unfair is that?!
It's a nice story. And if it's true then deal with it, money talks.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
They'll get her a 2:1, nay even a 1st, at Manchester.
Meaning what exactly?
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
He could have saved himself £17,000 and bought some "Nutshells" and "Nutcases" law revision books instead - they'll get her a 2:1, nay even a 1st, at Manchester.
*sigh*
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you moan..but without this type of deal the uni wouldnt b able to cover costs and you'd have no degree at all...surly your 2.2 is worth more than you with no degree.

love Katy ***
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Besides, there's no way we can really know it's true.
eleenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Meaning what exactly?
yeah you tell him... us manchester people should stick together x
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)

I would think it disgraceful if it were possible to buy degrees. But what you've written is nothing more than hearsay.

Can you prove it? I don't remember EVER hearing about a case where a degree classification has been "upped" (not in the UK anyway) because the Dean's palm was crossed with silver.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Personaly if this is true it should be exposed as it is a complete scam however it is possible that grades can improve. Maybe she is just working harder, my grades (hopefully don't get my results to mid march) will have improved over last years measily 2:1. (that was the first year thouh so 2:1 is bad).
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Now if only i could get my dad to pay 20,000 to get me a first...
No it's ridiculous - but it's known to happen.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
you moan..but without this type of deal the uni wouldnt b able to cover costs and you'd have no degree at all...surly your 2.2 is worth more than you with no degree.

love Katy ***
It's a nice story. And if it's true then deal with it, money talks.
Two more flawed, simple minded comments.

Meaning what exactly?
That Manchester is an average university.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If her dad would pay £17k for that, then he's probably pushing her in other ways. I doubt the accuracy of this though. Is John Rylands really that troubled anyway?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Manchester is not an average university. DNA was discovered there, the worlds first programmable computer was invented there, world leading cancer research happens there. Manchester encoding was invented there. I could go on, I don't know how you can ever describe Manchester University as average. Places like Manchester Met and Salford are average, Manchester is up there with the best (but I guess the snobs will say it isn't as good as Warwick, Durham or Oxbridge.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
If her dad would pay £17k for that, then he's probably pushing her in other ways. I doubt the accuracy of this though. Is John Rylands really that troubled anyway?
I thought all the money for the John Rylands reburshment was from grants. One would assume these grants come from the government, but maybe not
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If I was her teacher, I would barely pass her with a third
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads