The Student Room Group

Waxing downstairs! I need help from those who do it!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by idealized
Im in the same position as you, been shaving all my life but the fact it grows back so fast annoys me.
I looked at all the waxes and stuff and have decided that i will try sugaring :smile:
Here's the product i want to get ;
http://www.boots.com/en/Sugar-StripEase_1113473/

Yay! Go you, it's literally a miracle discovery for me.
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
Yay! Go you, it's literally a miracle discovery for me.

So, what IS sugaring? Pros and cons? :tongue:
I personally don't wax down there, but I do wax legs and underarms and bikini. If I were you, the first time you get waxed down there, go to a salon. They know what they're doing, you don't have to build up the courage to rip the strip away, and if you tell them it's your first time they'll usually be really understanding. Also, since pubic hair is coarser than leg hair etc... And it's a fairly awkward place to wax yourself, I would definitely recommend going to a salon for the first time. Then, so long as you don't let the hair grow back completely, it should be a little less painful the next time you do it, because you're not taking out quite so many hairs.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by such_a_lady
So, what IS sugaring? Pros and cons? :tongue:

Well, it follows the same principle of waxing as it pulls the hair out of the root. However, waxing clings on to the skin as well as the hair which tears away healthy skin cells; hence the pain you experience. On the contrary, the sugar paste/gel sticks to the hair only, so when you pull the strip away, it doesn't hurt so much.

Pros - can wash off excess paste with water as it's water based
Pros - does not irritate skin so much as it doesn't disturb healthy skin cells
Pros - super cheap if you can make it at home
Pros - reduces hair regrowth the longer you use it
Pros - can pull away the strip in any direction; doesn't have to be in the opposite direction

Cons - bit messy, but so is waxing
Cons - can be quite tricky to make it yourself especially the consistency
Cons - quite tricky to get the technique right
Cons - need to allow the hair to grow a little before the next session

All in all, it's better than waxing because, it barely hurts, washes off with just water, so there is no need for baby oil or whatnot to remove wax, can be cheap if you make it yourself, kinder on delicate areas and won't irritate your skin (unless you're allergic to sugar :tongue:)
DO NOT WAX DOWNSTAIRS. YOU CANNOT REACH EVERY PART AND IT WILL BE VERY VERY VERY PAINFUL. It would hurt less by going to a salon and asking for a brazilian wax :biggrin:
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
Well, it follows the same principle of waxing as it pulls the hair out of the root. However, waxing clings on to the skin as well as the hair which tears away healthy skin cells; hence the pain you experience. On the contrary, the sugar paste/gel sticks to the hair only, so when you pull the strip away, it doesn't hurt so much.

Pros - can wash off excess paste with water as it's water based
Pros - does not irritate skin so much as it doesn't disturb healthy skin cells
Pros - super cheap if you can make it at home
Pros - reduces hair regrowth the longer you use it
Pros - can pull away the strip in any direction; doesn't have to be in the opposite direction

Cons - bit messy, but so is waxing
Cons - can be quite tricky to make it yourself especially the consistency
Cons - quite tricky to get the technique right
Cons - need to allow the hair to grow a little before the next session

All in all, it's better than waxing because, it barely hurts, washes off with just water, so there is no need for baby oil or whatnot to remove wax, can be cheap if you make it yourself, kinder on delicate areas and won't irritate your skin (unless you're allergic to sugar :tongue:)

How long does hair have to be to sugar?
In my experience, I would say don't even bother trying to wax down there on your own! It's way too messy, fiddly, painful, time-consuming and, above all, easy to get wrong!
I just go to a salon every 4-5 weeks and get waxed... it's still painful, of course, but no way as painful as it is doing it on your own because the girls at the salon really know what they're doing, so the process is much faster. You get used to the pain eventually, and it isn't really a big deal anyway when you think about how long the whole process actually takes.
I've waxed "downstairs" since I was 16, I'm now 18. I absolutely love it and I haven't done any other method since.

Start off just getting a bikini wax. They take off enough so that if you were wearing a small pair of knickers, like the type that are designed to be worn for 'special occasions', you wouldn't be able to see any hair out the sides or right at the top of your inner thighs. Think of it as enough so that you could wear a bikini confidently knowing that no hair is gonna be on show, even if it slips around a bit. Bikini waxes are practical and super cheap for what they do as well. They're really quick as well, only about 10 minutes. It does hurt, but it gets kinda easier every time you go, because your hair becomes more sparse and thinner every time you wax. Take some ibuprofen or paracetamol before as well. Also when the wax strip is pulled off try fight the urge to clench your face up, instead breathe out deeply, don't know why but it helps. And preferably go the week after your period stops, cos that's when you're least sensitive in that region.

I started getting brazillians (absolutely everything off apart from a landing strip) after about 6 months of bikinis. These are more expensive, but not as expensive as a hollywood. But don't get a hollywood. Something reallyyyyy messed up about grown women looking like giant babies :/

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WAX YOURSELF. Go to a salon. Just do it :tongue:
Original post by such_a_lady
So are wax strips completely useless? Trying to figure out whether it's worth getting it done in a salon...

Go to a salon. They NEVER put enough wax strips in the packet anyway so you end up spending more than you hoped. At a salon that use wax that is actually properly warm and runny so it takes out more hairs. With the DIY strips the wax is very thin, not very tacky at all even if you rub the strips between your hands for ages. It simply will not be as hot. Also, you have to pick up the courage the take off every strip, which you know is gonna be killer. And if your waxing downstairs it's even worse because you can't see what you're doing and it'll end up all patchy and horrible because you chicken out half way through.

Salons aren't that expensive as long as you shop around. I get a brazillian done for £16, and a lot of salons charge twice that amount for that treatment. Bikini waxes you can get from £6 as well. Don't go for the big salons, as they tend to be full of fresh-off-the-NVQ 19 year olds, and its not a dignified process so kinda awkward. They also don't have as much experience. Look for the beauty therapists who do it from a salon room at their house, or do mobile beauty. They tend to be a lot cheaper, a hell of a lot more experienced and older, and also have a broader variety of clients. Also look for therapists further out of the town/city centre, as they're cheaper.
Reply 29
Sugaring all the way! :biggrin:

I tried it quite by accident once - went to get my legs waxed, saw this sugaring option and was wondering what the hell that was, asked and tried it instead - never went back to waxing! :tongue: I just do it at home now (although I prefer the ball method 'cause it's quicker and I'm lazy :ninja:)
Reply 30
Original post by JustCharley
Go to a salon. They NEVER put enough wax strips in the packet anyway so you end up spending more than you hoped. At a salon that use wax that is actually properly warm and runny so it takes out more hairs. With the DIY strips the wax is very thin, not very tacky at all even if you rub the strips between your hands for ages. It simply will not be as hot. Also, you have to pick up the courage the take off every strip, which you know is gonna be killer. And if your waxing downstairs it's even worse because you can't see what you're doing and it'll end up all patchy and horrible because you chicken out half way through.

Salons aren't that expensive as long as you shop around. I get a brazillian done for £16, and a lot of salons charge twice that amount for that treatment. Bikini waxes you can get from £6 as well. Don't go for the big salons, as they tend to be full of fresh-off-the-NVQ 19 year olds, and its not a dignified process so kinda awkward. They also don't have as much experience. Look for the beauty therapists who do it from a salon room at their house, or do mobile beauty. They tend to be a lot cheaper, a hell of a lot more experienced and older, and also have a broader variety of clients. Also look for therapists further out of the town/city centre, as they're cheaper.

This is going to sound awfully silly but, when going to a salon to get a brazilian done, how exactly does it usually work? Do you lie on your back, or get on your hands and knees...I'm just a bit new to all this :colondollar: haha. I'm also assuming that a thong is required? Also, how long until the hair grows back?

Sorry for all the questions + thanks!
Original post by alexsasg
This is going to sound awfully silly but, when going to a salon to get a brazilian done, how exactly does it usually work? Do you lie on your back, or get on your hands and knees...I'm just a bit new to all this :colondollar: haha. I'm also assuming that a thong is required? Also, how long until the hair grows back?

Sorry for all the questions + thanks!

I've never had to get on my hands and knees, and I've been to several different salons. I've asked my therapist why it's supposedly what happens but therapists never ask you to, she said that it just doesn't give a good enough stretch of the skin (its less painful and more affective to wax stretched skin). She also said that it's probably something to do with the idea that women who get waxes tend to be quite sexually active, and men like the image of women on all fours with no knickers on. Weird.

Explain that it's your first time and they should put you at easy anyway. Yeah wear a small thong that you can move around easily. There isn't really any point in wearing a thong since the therapist will see everything because it gets all moved out the way depending on the section she's doing. My therapist gets me to lie on my back and then put my knee to my chest and she'll do the area you'd expect her to do whilst in that position ... :tongue: Then she gets me to put the ball of my foot against the inside of my other knee so the inside of my thigh and 'downstairs' is exposed. Then she does my standard bikini line and I just lie on my back in a normal lying down position. Then I get the option to alter how wide or how long I want my landing strip.

I have a slight hormone imbalance so my hair will grow back slightly quicker than most peoples. I usually get about 2 weeks of no regrowth.

Hope you understood that ... let me know if not :smile:
Reply 32
I've never had to get on my hands and knees, and I've been to several different salons. I've asked my therapist why it's supposedly what happens but therapists never ask you to, she said that it just doesn't give a good enough stretch of the skin (its less painful and more affective to wax stretched skin). She also said that it's probably something to do with the idea that women who get waxes tend to be quite sexually active, and men like the image of women on all fours with no knickers on. Weird.

Explain that it's your first time and they should put you at easy anyway. Yeah wear a small thong that you can move around easily. There isn't really any point in wearing a thong since the therapist will see everything because it gets all moved out the way depending on the section she's doing. My therapist gets me to lie on my back and then put my knee to my chest and she'll do the area you'd expect her to do whilst in that position ... :tongue: Then she gets me to put the ball of my foot against the inside of my other knee so the inside of my thigh and 'downstairs' is exposed. Then she does my standard bikini line and I just lie on my back in a normal lying down position. Then I get the option to alter how wide or how long I want my landing strip.

I have a slight hormone imbalance so my hair will grow back slightly quicker than most peoples. I usually get about 2 weeks of no regrowth.

Hope you understood that ... let me know if not :smile:

I understood that, thanks! :smile: 2+ weeks of absolutely no regrowth sounds really good. I'm definitely considering going to a salon now.
Reply 33
Original post by cesca42
I personally don't wax down there, but I do wax legs and underarms and bikini. If I were you, the first time you get waxed down there, go to a salon. They know what they're doing, you don't have to build up the courage to rip the strip away, and if you tell them it's your first time they'll usually be really understanding. Also, since pubic hair is coarser than leg hair etc... And it's a fairly awkward place to wax yourself, I would definitely recommend going to a salon for the first time. Then, so long as you don't let the hair grow back completely, it should be a little less painful the next time you do it, because you're not taking out quite so many hairs.

Good luck! :smile:

Original post by Plums&Peaches
DO NOT WAX DOWNSTAIRS. YOU CANNOT REACH EVERY PART AND IT WILL BE VERY VERY VERY PAINFUL. It would hurt less by going to a salon and asking for a brazilian wax :biggrin:

Original post by alexmagpie

Original post by clotheshorse
In my experience, I would say don't even bother trying to wax down there on your own! It's way too messy, fiddly, painful, time-consuming and, above all, easy to get wrong!
I just go to a salon every 4-5 weeks and get waxed... it's still painful, of course, but no way as painful as it is doing it on your own because the girls at the salon really know what they're doing, so the process is much faster. You get used to the pain eventually, and it isn't really a big deal anyway when you think about how long the whole process actually takes.

I've waxed "downstairs" since I was 16, I'm now 18. I absolutely love it and I haven't done any other method since.

Start off just getting a bikini wax. They take off enough so that if you were wearing a small pair of knickers, like the type that are designed to be worn for 'special occasions', you wouldn't be able to see any hair out the sides or right at the top of your inner thighs. Think of it as enough so that you could wear a bikini confidently knowing that no hair is gonna be on show, even if it slips around a bit. Bikini waxes are practical and super cheap for what they do as well. They're really quick as well, only about 10 minutes. It does hurt, but it gets kinda easier every time you go, because your hair becomes more sparse and thinner every time you wax. Take some ibuprofen or paracetamol before as well. Also when the wax strip is pulled off try fight the urge to clench your face up, instead breathe out deeply, don't know why but it helps. And preferably go the week after your period stops, cos that's when you're least sensitive in that region.

I started getting brazillians (absolutely everything off apart from a landing strip) after about 6 months of bikinis. These are more expensive, but not as expensive as a hollywood. But don't get a hollywood. Something reallyyyyy messed up about grown women looking like giant babies :/

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WAX YOURSELF. Go to a salon. Just do it :tongue:

I don't want random ladies to see my nini :colondollar:

Now I don't know what to do. What a predicament...
Original post by katyness

Just remember they see other peoples all the time: it's nothing new :nah:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by alexmagpie

Same length for waxing. About 1cm should suffice.

My therapist has clients who range from being 16 years old to ones who are like 65. They honestly think nothing of it. They just see skin with hair on that needs to be removed. You have towel to cover the side that isn't currently being worked on, and you move your thong around so that only the bits that need to be exposed at any one time are.

With a bikini line wax in a salon you keep your knickers on and she just works round them. So no nini's to be seen with those!!!

With Brazilian it varies, they normally give you a little paper thong.

Seriously, just go to a salon and try a bikini line, so much quicker than doing it yourself/they can reach where you may not be able to get the right angle!
Original post by hellobonjour
With a bikini line wax in a salon you keep your knickers on and she just works round them. So no nini's to be seen with those!!!

With Brazilian it varies, they normally give you a little paper thong.

Seriously, just go to a salon and try a bikini line, so much quicker than doing it yourself/they can reach where you may not be able to get the right angle!

The slightly annoying thing is that I always shave everything off so I'd still have to do more with a bikini line wax anyway -.-

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Really, do not worry about it. I totally understand where you're coming from, but the waxing lady will have seen it all before. As I said, if you explain it's your first time they'll be really accommodating and probably realise you're nervous about baring that much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending