The Student Room Group

I have no work experience. What are the chances of getting into a good university?

Hi,
I have a problem which is that I have no work experience, and I don't think I'll get any before the UCAS submission deadline.

I'm generally hoping to get into Oxford to study Physics but I know they expect some work experience. The problem I've been having is that there are generally no relevant placements in my local area that I can do which are relevant to Physics.

Knowing I have no work experience, how will this this affect my university application. I have other types of 'physics' experience:
- I'm undergoing a 'research' week organised by myself in which I research into the basic concepts of general relativity as well as looking into some of the more complicated concepts in Mechanics
- I teach Physics to a group of Yr8 students
- I'm quite good at Physics :P Predicted A at AS (+ achieved full marks in the first physics exam in January)
- I do other subjects which help with Physics (Maths, F.maths, Electronics and Chemistry)
- I've self-studied all of the Mechanics (Maths) Modules and plan to study M3 next year.
- Did a Oxford, Somerville college 'physics' study day (which wasn't that good to be honest). I've tried to book Physics lectures but I'm always late in finding out about them. However, I always watch Physics lectures that I can find on the internet when I have time.
- I've read quite a few physics books :smile:

I don't know if I'm being too optimistic and if I am, please tell me. If I can't get into Oxford, then do you think I have a chance at Imperial, UCL or Surrey?

Thank's for reading this post. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
The study day and teaching younger students will definitely count as good work experience - just make sure that you play them up a bit in your PS.

Don't put all this stuff on your PS anyway, it'll take up way too much space and you're pretty limited on how much you can fit in there already.

As for getting into Oxford - who can say!? It's pretty hard to get in there, and may not be a realistic ambition depending on the grades you've got so far. Make sure it's realistic and if it's not, then reconsider. Oxbridge is not necessarily the best choice for everyone anyway, regardless of their academic reputation.
I think universities are fairly realistic in realising that, as an A-level student, any work experience you have had will likely be filing/making cups of tea etc, and isn't really that likely to mean you have a better understanding of the subject. I went for two days work experience in a law firm last year because my dad said it'd give me a better chance of getting into Cambridge, but I didn't really do much relevant stuff and they didn't ask me about it in interview anyway (and I got an offer).

And besides, university level study is still fairly academic, especially for a subject such as Physics, so an understanding of how the workplace operates isn't entirely relevant. So I wouldn't get too hung up about not having any, especially given all the impressive stuff you have been doing (teaching, self-tuition etc). Play up that stuff on your application and you should be fine.
Reply 3
Seriously you don't need relevant work exp to get into uni (even if it is Oxford). Remember you're applying for a undergrad uni place not a grad scheme. It's not too late to get some work experience though. It doesn't have to be relevant. Why not do some volunteering somewhere? Oxford don't just want to accept a social retar*ed physics nerd but more of a...well rounded person.
Reply 4
okay, great :smile: I'll still try to get some work experience or volunteer work, I just need to think about where I might do it... :smile: Thanks for your help
Reply 5
Original post by geditor
Hi,
I have a problem which is that I have no work experience, and I don't think I'll get any before the UCAS submission deadline.

I'm generally hoping to get into Oxford to study Physics but I know they expect some work experience. The problem I've been having is that there are generally no relevant placements in my local area that I can do which are relevant to Physics.

Knowing I have no work experience, how will this this affect my university application. I have other types of 'physics' experience:
- I'm undergoing a 'research' week organised by myself in which I research into the basic concepts of general relativity as well as looking into some of the more complicated concepts in Mechanics
- I teach Physics to a group of Yr8 students
- I'm quite good at Physics :P Predicted A at AS (+ achieved full marks in the first physics exam in January)
- I do other subjects which help with Physics (Maths, F.maths, Electronics and Chemistry)
- I've self-studied all of the Mechanics (Maths) Modules and plan to study M3 next year.
- Did a Oxford, Somerville college 'physics' study day (which wasn't that good to be honest). I've tried to book Physics lectures but I'm always late in finding out about them. However, I always watch Physics lectures that I can find on the internet when I have time.
- I've read quite a few physics books :smile:

I don't know if I'm being too optimistic and if I am, please tell me. If I can't get into Oxford, then do you think I have a chance at Imperial, UCL or Surrey?

Thank's for reading this post. :smile:

To be frankly honest, they didn't give a flying toss about my work experience.

Oxford isnt the same as other universities, the admissions tests and interviews play a larger role than the personal statment.
Reply 6
Yeah, after going to the open day last week, I feel a lot more optimistic... :smile:

Quick Reply