Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I read this and I was totally amazed at what these americans are saying. They are claiming that the new movie about Jesus' crucifixion should be banned becasue it gives Jews too much of a bad stereotype.

I think that this is really silly. They cant say that, it is in their own history and I think that they should accept the fact that maybe earlier on in their religion they didnt get everything spot on in how to do things.

Christians all accept the fact that different characters in the Bible did things that they maybe shouldnt have?

What do you all think?

(By the way this is not a dig at all the Jews in the world, I have no problem, I am just a bit annoyed about these ones that are protesting)

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see the movie but I wouldn't pay to. Maybe some clips of bits that are causing trouble.

Looks like crap though. Well, it's religion, isn't it...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.

If it is historically accurate (in as much as it can be), then I do not feel any complaints are justified.

However, it is based on the bible, with its arguably anti-semitic writers, then perhaps some of the complaints are justified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Hmm.

If it is historically accurate (in as much as it can be), then I do not feel any complaints are justified.

However, it is based on the bible, with its arguably anti-semitic writers, then perhaps some of the complaints are justified.
    How can we be sure if any history is accurate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    How can we be sure if any history is accurate?
    We can't...of course.

But there's a difference between sticking as close as possible to historical likelihood and just taking the word of the bible.

ReputationRep:
    gibson is a hard line catholic, the anti semsitism in it have been rumoured ever since it started filming. however its an interpretation and he is allowed that.

most ww2 films cast germans in a bad light

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlosDaisy)
    Ok, I read this and I was totally amazed at what these americans are saying. They are claiming that the new movie about Jesus' crucifixion should be banned becasue it gives Jews too much of a bad stereotype.

I think that this is really silly. They cant say that, it is in their own history and I think that they should accept the fact that maybe earlier on in their religion they didnt get everything spot on in how to do things.

Christians all accept the fact that different characters in the Bible did things that they maybe shouldnt have?

What do you all think?

(By the way this is not a dig at all the Jews in the world, I have no problem, I am just a bit annoyed about these ones that are protesting)

Okay, being Jewish and well educated in the area, i can tell you that Jews did not kill Jesus. 1: Crucifixion was strictly a Roman custom. Jews did not practice this. 2: Christian documents say they do not hold Jews responsible for Jesus's death. 3: Even if Jews demaned Jesus be killed, the decision was Pilate's choice, no one elses. 4: It is said Jews said " His blood be on us and our childred". Guilt through association is not believed in by Jews, nor guilt through generations. 5: Also, it says that a large gathering of Jews demanded his death. Romans were very cruel to Jews, and would likely not have allowed a large gathering of Jews.

There are many more reasons as well. I am sorry if i offend anyone, but being Jewish and listening to people blame my religion for something it didn't do is rather hard. I am wholeheartdly against this movie, it is very anti-semetic. The movie shows Jews making the cross in their temple. The movie has jews dragging Jesus around with a bag over his head.

Reveiws by people say for 1 hour and 15 minutes straight, Jews are portrayed negetivly. This movie is anti-semetic, and people are 100% right to protest it. I am sick and tired of hearing Jews killed Jesus, when the Romans did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)

Reveiws by people say for 1 hour and 15 minutes straight, Jews are portrayed negetivly. This movie is anti-semetic, and people are 100% right to protest it. I am sick and tired of hearing Jews killed Jesus, when the Romans did.
    yes if it distorts the "truth" (not truth obviously but what is agreed happened) then yes that isnt right

ReputationRep:
    Also, the movie is way too graphic, someone in Kansas had a heart attack and died during one of the scenes, i am totally serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlosDaisy)

What do you all think?

Actually, it is not our history, but we have been blamed ever since it happened, and even after documents admit we are not to blame. There is more then 1 side to this story, and i suggest you reasearch the other before you start blaming people for something their religion didn't do. Again, i mean to offense, but i think people need to hear the other side of the story.

ReputationRep:
    I just read an article on this movie at this site:

http://www.redandblack.com/vnews/dis.../403e8f42315a1

The mood after the film was like that of a funeral -- one group of girls with ash-smudged foreheads and tear-stained faces walked out of the theatre with little to say.

"It was the closest I'll ever get to realizing what Christ did for us," said Elizabeth Hughes, a University graduate.
    Jesus Christ. I think I'm going to be sick.

ReputationRep:
    Jews. Are. Not. Responsible.

Sorry, that was for emphasis; I don't have typing issues.

The fundamental message of Christianity is that Jesus died out of love of humanity- he died willingly; and the Jews or Romans are absolutely not responsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    Jews. Are. Not. Responsible.

Sorry, that was for emphasis; I don't have typing issues.

The fundamental message of Christianity is that Jesus died out of love of humanity- he died willingly; and the Jews or Romans are absolutely not responsible.
    good point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Do you mean the film has anti-semitic writers or the bible? I hardly think the bible had anti-semitic writers...
    the film is supposedly based on a book called the dolorous passion of our lord jesus christ, which had some bible elements, but had many "extra" parts to make Jews look guilty. That, for one is anti-semetic

ReputationRep:
    This may sound bad but what don't the jews claim to be anti-semetic....they sue Swiss Banks, they complain over family guy, they complain about movies........ stop complaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    This may sound bad but what don't the jews claim to be anti-semetic....they sue Swiss Banks, they complain over family guy, they complain about movies........ stop complaining
    so u are telling me that if someone made a movie showing your religion negetivly for over an hour, and showing your religion killing the idol of another religion, when they never did it you wouldn't complain? Seeing people holding signs accusing your religion of things they never did would not bother you? I am tired of hearing the blame on my religion when we never did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I hardly think the bible had anti-semitic writers...
    I do.

ReputationRep:
    Also, the movie is way too graphic, someone in Kansas had a heart attack and died during one of the scenes, i am totally serious.
    well, sufficient warning should be given, and I suspect it was.

if people don't want to see it, they don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    so u are telling me that if someone made a movie showing your religion negetivly for over an hour, and showing your religion killing the idol of another religion, when they never did it you wouldn't complain? Seeing people holding signs accusing your religion of things they never did would not bother you? I am tired of hearing the blame on my religion when we never did it.
    I am atheist....... I could careless if they made fun of me for that because I will be sleeping in on sunday when they are being pumped full of propaganda

ReputationRep:
    Ok as I said before I am atheist but lets say for a minute i'm not.... lets say im a crazy american who believes in the rapture and that god will save me from everything...... If i was to believe all that I would probably believe that the jewish community was responsible for handing jesus over to the Romans and Pilate to be killed....

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.