Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronnie Raygun)
    I agree that it really doesn't matter. But I'm not going to not say just because it might offend someone. Facts are facts. Deal with it.
    I haven't seen any provided....

ReputationRep:
    'However, Jews do not believe Jesus was the son of god" - pad

I understand that....

No hard feelings....

ReputationRep:
    'However, Jews do not believe Jesus was the son of god" - pad

I understand that....

No hard feelings....
    right, no hard feelings (i'm not being sarcastic) this is gettin kinda silly, its clear neither of us will give in, why dont we just agree no one really knows the whole answer, and put it behind us. What do u say?

ReputationRep:
    Deal.....

You should go see the movie though......

There are jews in this film that are heros.

ReputationRep:
    Deal.....

You should go see the movie though......

There are jews in this film that are heros.
    hmm thats good, still dont think i will go see it though

ReputationRep:
    Honestly...america is messed up. Apparently, many Americans expect history to be changed merely because it isn't politically correct. Have they forgotten that sexism, racism, and slavery were all common at one point or another in their country? That isn't hidden from society. Why should this be? The critics need to stop bashing this movie sheerly on the basis that it is supposedly "anti-semitic". The majority of america is made up of straight white chirstians or catholics, so apparently, they are the only ones that are able to be "attacked" for their beliefs. If we complain, the crowd gasps and "boos us of the stage," so to speak. The moment you start to "insult" minorities, you run the risk of being categorized as a "right-winger". This, to me, is wrong. Whether history is politically correct or not should not be considered in its teaching.

Just one of America's problems.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really followed the thread, but can say that in the line of the prophets before jesus the jews were the chosen people and at the time of Jesus's coming there was no such thing as a 'christian' or 'muslim', jesus himself was of the jews for the jews and in that he was sent to correct their ways, therefore I think it is safe to conclude it was the jews that had him banished, however the muslim belief is that he was not crucified, he never claimed divinity and that he was raised upto Allah not to return to earth until a later time.

"And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Jesus) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure. Nay! Allah took him up to Himself; and Allah is Mighty, Wise. And there is not one of the followers of the Book but most certainly believes in this before his death, and on the day of resurrection he (Jesus) shall be a witness against them."

Quran Chapter 4 verses 157-159

The Jews call 'Ezra a son of Allah, and the Christians call Christ the son of Allah. That is a saying from their mouth; (in this) they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the Truth!. They take their priests and their rabbis to be their lords in derogation of Allah, and (they take as their Lord) Christ the son of Mary; yet they were commanded to worship but One Allah: there is no god but He. Praise and glory to Him: (Far is He) from having the partners they associate (with Him). Fain would they extinguish Allah's light with their mouths, but Allah will not allow but that His light should be perfected, even though the Unbelievers may detest (it).

Quran Chapter 9 Verses 30-32

ReputationRep:
    Whatevers....

"The critics need to stop bashing this movie sheerly on the basis that it is supposedly "anti-semitic"."

This film is banned in France. What do you have to say about that?

ReputationRep:
    you seem to misunderstand ronnie, if your last reply was in reply to my posting. I oppose the movie as it depicts jesus being crucified, yet i recognise the FACT that Jesus was expelled by the Jews. What is it you mean by Anti-Semtism?, because the truth is if i was to be anti semitic I would be in fact criticising my own faith Islam as well as Judaism and Christianity. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    The Americans seem overly touchy when faced with criticism in my opinion.

Nobody likes to be reminded of their faults, but we can't gloss over our mistakes, we need to learn from history to advance, not hide it away.
    overall or in this subject?

ReputationRep:
    "you seem to misunderstand ronnie, if your last reply was in reply to my posting. I oppose the movie as it depicts jesus being crucified, yet i recognise the FACT that Jesus was expelled by the Jews. What is it you mean by Anti-Semtism?, because the truth is if i was to be anti semitic I would be in fact criticising my own faith Islam as well as Judaism and Christianity. Correct me if I'm wrong." kfg

Was it your quote or Axer's quote that I posted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Overall but obviously that's a generalisation, just a feeling I get through my own limited experience. On this subject feeling is bound to run high because America has a large practicing Christian population.
    indeed

ReputationRep:
    Padfoot90
    4: It is said Jews said " His blood be on us and our childred". Guilt through association is not believed in by Jews, nor guilt through generations.
    Guilt thru association doesnt matter *unless* it applies to guilt of other people that did something to jewish people right? All bets are off as long as the jews are getting the sympathy right?

Give me a break, you jews in Britain are as bad as the ones here in America. Whiny crybabies that cant wait to stab us in our backs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlosDaisy)
    Ok, I read this and I was totally amazed at what these americans are saying. They are claiming that the new movie about Jesus' crucifixion should be banned becasue it gives Jews too much of a bad stereotype.

I think that this is really silly. They cant say that, it is in their own history and I think that they should accept the fact that maybe earlier on in their religion they didnt get everything spot on in how to do things.

Christians all accept the fact that different characters in the Bible did things that they maybe shouldnt have?

What do you all think?

(By the way this is not a dig at all the Jews in the world, I have no problem, I am just a bit annoyed about these ones that are protesting)

Not all Americans are saying this. The film was created by an American. Personally I thought the movie was quite good, but there will always be those who disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Given that independent commisions has reported worrying increases in antisemitism and racism in general in Europe and the americas (Not only towards jews, but also towards muslims and other foreign cultures) it is directly irresponsible of Gibson to release a movie which portrays a religion in the way "passion of the christ" did. It will, undoubtly, cause more problems and this was uneccesary. Gibson could very easily had made a movie which were more historically correct, but he chose to portray the Jews as the murderers of christ and were portraying the Romans as being pushed to kill christ , by the jews. This is in contradiction to the description the bible gives and it is contradictionary to any historical sources. If Gibson really wanted to give an exact description of what happened to Jesus IN ACCORDANCE WITH CHRISTIANITY he should have made the film very different. Instead he chose to portray the Jews as being responsible for the death of Christ when in fact this is pure nonsense. Histoprians and the Chriostina church agrees that it was the Roman government , and not the Jews, who were responsible for Jesus death. But apparently, it is more important for Gibson to blame the Jews than to be historically corret. Also, what is even worse is that the movie claims to describe the circumstances around Jesus death, when in fact it does that very poorly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxNewsRocks)
    Padfoot90

Guilt thru association doesnt matter *unless* it applies to guilt of other people that did something to jewish people right? All bets are off as long as the jews are getting the sympathy right?

Give me a break, you jews in Britain are as bad as the ones here in America. Whiny crybabies that cant wait to stab us in our backs.
    I live in the US, and i dont like my religion being blamed for things it didn't do. If that means arguing with 90% of the forum, then i will. O yes, good call, us jews are planning a huge revolt to overthrow governments around the world. Get a life.

ReputationRep:
    Padfoot90

That's a very... now what's the word... Naziistic view. Where exactly in America do you live? I'm guessing southern states, sorry if that's stereotypical of me.

ReputationRep:
    Padfoot90

**** off and die

ReputationRep:
    It's a movie - it makes no claim other than to entertain. If you don't think it will be entertaining, don't watch it. If you think you'll be entertained, buy some popcorn, some cola and nachos and go enjoy the show.

Exactly why does it matter if a film gives a skewed perception of historical fact. After all, isn't that the creative right of the director? It seems some people are so naive and narrow-minded whenever the concept of religion', race orhistory comes up, they feel the requirement to come to its defence. Shame that it is only worth defending what is being attacked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    **** off and die
    i thought u meant me for a minute Yes, those kind of people make me very very angry.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.