The Student Room Group

How long do you revise for?

Scroll to see replies

sort of revise from about 10.30am till about 8ish. But probably only do about 4 hours proper revision that is worth it.
Reply 21
i revise on my way to school for 45 mins and on my way back home for 45mins on the bus. that's it...
About 4ish hours a day while I am at home and then 6 hours when I am at college.
So for each subject I do maybe around 40 hours all in all, some require less but I say about 40 hours for Maths which requires the most.
And I need 3A's to get in but I only need to get C's and D's this summer.
Reply 23
Well for these AS exams that I just finished last month, I couldn't believe how lazy and unmotivated i was to revise! I left revision to the last minute and did it as the exam's came so if my exam was on 'x' day i'd revise from the previous exam up until that date! And i know teachers say start revision early bla bla but i revised for 5-8 hours a day with breaks and was glad i left it to the last minute cause i had it all in my head! So if i'd have revised from March like my teachers were saying to i would have forgot everything!
Original post by Moontoon
Whaaa?!
That's insane, good on you though! What subjects do you do?

What subjects would you regard as ones that are less 'revision intensive' and reliant on remembering key information?
I have economics and business studies to go, economics will be a killer! :frown:

Lol thanks :smile: I do 5 subjects, already done 4 exams (all maths), and still have 6 more exams to go! and I don't do either of those subjects so I don't really know, im sorry :s-smilie: I usually find more math-sy subjects can just be tackled with past papers, so can be less revision intensive in that way then :smile:
I revise for 8 hours a day, with 10 minute breaks bewtween each hour. I would be panicking if I did any less.
Reply 26
Original post by nyami001.303
I have a really bad habit of leaving my revision to a couple of nights revising (or sometimes even the night before the exam), so I have to spend hours cramming non-stop. :colondollar:
I really have to stop that though because I'll be in year 12 in September and apparently you can't do last minute revision at A-level :frown:

Works for some people I know at a level, including me to a certain extent. Depends on both the subject and the perosn, but fewer people can do it A level then at GCSE.
Reply 27
I do 1 past paper per day and then mark it from about 2 weeks before my exams (about 2 hrs per day). Probably a day or two before my exams I'll do 2 or 3 papers a day.
Reply 28
I did 4-5 hours a day the week before my exams then 6 hours the day before each one to read over the whole course. For Biology I really liked it so I could do 1 hour, have breakfast 2 hours, have lunch and then go out and have fun and do 2 hours in the evening :smile: For physics, I couldn't keep focused for more than 20minutes so just had loads of breaks so would take me most of the day to get 4-5 hours done :P And English Lit and French I didn't revise for as I wasn't sure how... This method got me ABB last year (AS - History, French, English lit) and AAA (AS - Bio, Chem, Physics in January this year) Revising too much just makes me stressy and panicked for the exam and then I can't remember anything lol.
I try and make myself revise for an hour or two but I have a really bad attention span and 90% of the time it's 20 minutes tops! :colondollar: However, I still make myself do loads of past papers and things for a month before an exam, it's just that most of the time I simply don't have the motivation. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
I do 45 mins- 1 hour solid revison and then 5 min-10 min break and then repeat the cycle. I tend to condense my notes so they are concise, clear and easy to learn and remember. One theory says writing out notes while memorising and highlighting increases remembrance by 80%.

Good luck everyone :smile: , btw is anyone here cramming lol ???
Original post by ChemicalBond
I try and make myself revise for an hour or two but I have a really bad attention span and 90% of the time it's 20 minutes tops! :colondollar: However, I still make myself do loads of past papers and things for a month before an exam, it's just that most of the time I simply don't have the motivation. :frown:

Lol same here I actually say set myself a timetable but never end up following it, but at A-levels going to step up my game :biggrin:
Original post by LGrosvenor101
I set my alarm every morning at 8:00 to start work between 8:30am-9. I have a few breaks in between 15 minutes- 30 minutes max (apart from tea), and finish at around 10-10:30pm :smile: However, I often switch between topics and subjects throughout the day so I don't easily get bored of one thing :smile:

You don't need to revise that much :eek:!
For A Levels I revised 5 hours a day, 45 minutes, 15 minute breaks. Usually started early in the morning around 9, finish for 2 and then have the whole day left to do anything, and if I was up for it I'd do some more during the evening.

I always try and emulate it as if I was at school, normally we'd have 5 1 hour lessons, now that I'm at Uni I've increased the working time, it's important you get a balance between work and relaxing though, in small breaks and general rest from revision.
i do 5 hours a day.. sometimes more sometimes less.. if im at home and have nothing better to do ill revise.. i tend to have random breaks.. i work when i want to and relax when i want to.. it works for me :smile: jsut need the motivation to get started in the morning and off i go :smile: ill chop and change subjects as i want.. sometimes i stick iplayer on and work too.. not good i know.. but i cant work in silence.. and end up not watching the programme but working most of the time!
Original post by Perseverance
You don't need to revise that much :eek:!

Most definitely. I thought i would revise like crazy but in this exam period I'm not working much :s-smilie:
Reply 36
On study leave and exams are in a couple of weeks (or just under, really), so I start from roughly 8am and go till 7-8pm. Have about 20 minutes off around lunch and tea time, but otherwise avoid breaks or I lose all my focus.

I've found that if you alternate subjects and/or methods (e.g. past papers, mind maps, etc.) every hour, you can do huge bouts of revision. I have heard that your attention span drops after 40 minutes so anything more is pointless, but hey, I'd rather be in the knowledge that I've done all the revision I possibly could have.
Reply 37
I try and do 6 hours a day. 3 hours for biology, 3 hours for psychology. Or some days I just do six hours of solid biology/psychology. I thought that was a lot before I started reading some of the posts on here.. Now I feel like I need to do more. :L
Reply 38
I've been doing about 6 hours a day but it's been getting harder to concentrate doing because i have hardly any exams left now!!
Reply 39
Get up at 9, do nothing till 11. Do one hour revision till 12. Do half an hour at like 4pm, then do nothing for ages then do a little bit more later on. I'm a terrible reviser.

Quick Reply

Latest