colourfulpen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Anyone here doing the media exam next week?
shannanlorraine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought I was the only one! Haha, hardly any threads on this.
What case study are you doing? Think I'm going to do teenagers..
colourfulpen
Rep:
?
(Original post by shannanlorraine)
I thought I was the only one! Haha, hardly any threads on this.
What case study are you doing? Think I'm going to do teenagers..
Yeah I couldn't find any threads haha! Well I've done one on teenagers (representations) and another on social networking for digital media you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
shannanlorraine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know, it's crazy! There's a big one going on for OCR but not us haha, yeah I'm currently writing out my teenager one at the moment but I think (due to the extremely poor media teachers at my school) I'm going to take a risk and only do teenagers as it's the only thing I can really gather enough knowledge to write about. I gather if I learn the case study inside and out, I'll be able to adapt it to any representation question (hopefully!) How long are your case studies generally?
colourfulpen
Rep:
?
(Original post by shannanlorraine)
I know, it's crazy! There's a big one going on for OCR but not us haha, yeah I'm currently writing out my teenager one at the moment but I think (due to the extremely poor media teachers at my school) I'm going to take a risk and only do teenagers as it's the only thing I can really gather enough knowledge to write about. I gather if I learn the case study inside and out, I'll be able to adapt it to any representation question (hopefully!) How long are your case studies generally?
Yeah teenagers is a good option too cos we can relate to it pretty much thats why i chose it anyway and its easier to argue your point! my case studies are both 1500 words but im not learning them inside out, just the details cos ofcourse you can add in other bits to the essay i'm more nervous about the last essay than all of them! I hope that it's not a moving image text though I HATE that!
lucylucylucy12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank god i've found people doing the Media exam AQA not OCR! Have either of you got any papers and stuff?

My media teacher is really good, and said it will be a moving image text because the exam board have asked her to provide facilities to play a video....

don't worry though, just remember to comment on these things and you'll do awesome, i'm sure

- Mise en scene : lighting, costume, actors/actress' expressions, setting
- sound : None digetic / digetic
- MIGRAIN - Media language, Institution, Genre, Representation, Audience, Ideology, Narrative.

It seems like a lot, but once you start wrting it gets easier. Plus you get given a brief of the 2 videos which usually tells you the genre

are you guys as nervous as i am :| i just want to find more past paper, A grade examples!
xxxx
WMowbray
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think section B is fairly straight forward as its our own case studies.
Section A can be tricky though! Any one got any useful theories/key terms or links to pages which could be helpful?
Kirsteen:)
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am not looking forward to this exam at all! knowing that there is 2 moving image texts as well in section A makes me want to shrivvell into a hole.
Whats everyone doing their case studies on??
WMowbray
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing people representation, in which is black people in the media!
shannanlorraine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How do you know they are both
Moving image? I know for sure that one is but we haven't been told they both are?
For the first section we follow GRANVIL, Genre, Representation, Audience, Narrative, Values, Ideologies, Language.
I'm struggling most with the case study part as I have no idea if I've done the right thing as my teacher is shocking haha. X

Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my teacher told us that its 2 moving images unless she is wrong then i will be kinda pissed. she started saying that music videos haven't come up in a while so it could be that, but tbh no one knows..
thats a good topic to do your case study on..
dont worry i dont really have a final topic, at the moment i have been looking at reality programmes and their representation in the media, but looking at past questions it does seem really hard to fit that into the essay!
lucylucylucy12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just checked AQA and it says:
"For A-level Advanced Level, Unit 3: Critical Perspectives (MEST3) DVD facilities will be required. The MEST3 examination is scheduled for Friday 15 June 2012 (9am – 11am)."

I mean they'll make you anaylse two moving images so you can compare them, like in all the previous exams.

I just read through the mark scheme for last years papers, and stumbled across what they look for when they're marking, so it may help you know what sort of things you need to mention and discuss in your exam.

L Media Language
R Representation
A Audience
Inst Media Institution
G Genre
N Narrative
V/I Values and Ideology
R Representation
NDM New and Digital Media
Th Theory
ID Media issue/debate
WC Wider contexts
ICS Independent Case Study
Eg Example
T Terminology
F Focus on question
CA Critical Autonomy
Rept Repetition
? Questionable Point

there how you're meant to mark a students work, so it means if you comment on them they can give you that mark.

Has anyone got any past papers of know of any moving image texts that are good to anaylse? maybe one you did in class?

xxx
shannanlorraine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lucylucylucy12)

I mean they'll make you anaylse two moving images so you can compare them, like in all the previous exams.
It's not all previous exams, I have done a lot of the past papers and I think I have done at least 3 which have one moving image and one print, I would struggle with this combination the most I think as I've done the least practise so fingers crossed you're right!
yeah reality TV shows could work I guess, lots of people did that for coursework in my class so there's obviously a lot to write about. as long as you have a point and can back it up with facts/quotes and link it to the question somehow I'm sure you'll be fine
lucylucylucy12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
**** a combination of the two! Where are the exam papers you had? I'll search them online or i'll be stumped if that comes up! i'm getting so nervous Wahhh xxxx
charrrrl0tte
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anybody have a list of theorists they could possibly send to me? really struggling trying to revise for this exam and my others! I have another main exam tomorrow the same day as my media, woo! Section B I should be able to waffle my way through but yeah if anyone has any theories i can remember i'd be extremely thankful thanks guys x
Magenta96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think everyone on this thread is doing a different media exam to me. If it's the tv crime drama one I can help a little. Anyone doing the crime drama one?
shannanlorraine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No I think we are all doing a different one to you
The mixture ones may be on aqa, one about big brother, one being car advertisements etc. my teacher gave us them.
Case study is what is scaring me! I just don't know how I'm gunna include all the stuff.
Theories, there are a few you should keep in mind:
Semiotics- the study of signs and symbols. Ie. if the protagonist is wearing a red dress what could that symbolise.
Post structuralism- anti- semiotics,
says it is a pointless theory basics.
Post modernism- says there are NO unifying theories (hypocritical because it is disapproving all theories, yet it is a theory itself)
Marxism- basically a class war. The sun for example, very low reading age, like 8yrs or something, keeps poor people dumb to stop them rising against power.
Mass Society theory- the idea that the mass audience are doped by the mass media.
Liberal pluralism- idea that media output has a positive effect on society.
Post Colonialism- the influence of western culture on the rest of the world
Laura mulvey's male gaze theory- media uses women as sexual objects
Star image theory- use of established celebrities to boost popularity.

There are more so if you want any more just say but all you need is a few and just adapt them to the text

amye12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My revision started an hour and a half ago, really not good! I've chosen women for my case study as it seems fairly straight forward. I'm counting on it though cause it's the only one I've done, I couldn't get my head around the e-media case study - too boring! Those theories are mega helpful btw, thanks!
Anyone have any other predictions of what moving image texts will come up? I'm dreading the news reports of the Leveson Inquiry coming up, we've looked over it in class but still it would be an absolute nightmare! We've looked over the 'Alcohol Know Your Limits' (binge drinking boy/ binge drinking girl) adverts, too - it would be a god send if something like this came up as it's something that's fairly easy to relate to.
Waaaa, this is so not good!! :confused:
Thank goodness it's payday tomorrow!!
alicex3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The unseen piece better be nice or I'm not going to be happy haha
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if it is someone using a website then i may just stand up and walk out!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (46)
31.08%
No (76)
51.35%
Don't know (26)
17.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise