Why isn't Ronaldinho considered as one of the greatest footballers ever? Watch

prakashpatel4579
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Whenever people talk about the greatest players ever the names that get mentioned are Pele, Diego Maradona, Gerd Muller, Zinedine Zidane etc. and the two guys setting football alight right now, Ronaldo and Messi, will probably be considered in that bracket when they finish their careers.

However Ronaldinho is never really mentioned and I can't put my finger on why that is. From the period of 2004 to 2007 he played outrageously good football, he could win games on his own and was just a joy to watch. I will never forget his toe poke against Chelsea after his shimmy on the spot, and also the time when Real fans appluaded him at the Bernabeau while he was playing for arch rivals Barcelona after he destroyed their team, that certainly doesn't happen very often!

Also, one of the reservations about Ronaldo and Messi is that they haven't been quite as successful in international matches as for their clubs and they haven't won the world cup. Yet Ronaldinho did get a world cup win in 2002 and was a key player for Brazil.
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He lacked longevity, which is always needed to be considered a legend. But I agree, in his peak he was right up there with messi and ronaldo.
JoeK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He could have been even more. He's certainly one of the most naturally gifted players the game has ever seen, I don't think anyone can dispute that. It's just he weakened his legacy with his off the field problems, he had the world at his feet and let it go. If he'd continued at the top level for a longer period, I'm pretty sure he would be widely regarded as one of the top players.
Jakelol
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i love Ronaldinho, he's certainly one of the greatest ever
for me anyway
scotttb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1. What chelsea fan said
2. When he didn't have the ball he was a complete passenger. Dont get me wrong I loved watching Ronaldhino, but unlike the best ever players, he just didnt help at all defensively ever and was afraid to try and tackle in case he got injured.
prakashpatel4579
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by chelseafan)
He lacked longevity, which is always needed to be considered a legend. But I agree, in his peak he was right up there with messi and ronaldo.
OK, I will agree that he was really a one-club player and AC Milan never saw his Barcelona form.

The level he reached when he was at his best was absurdly good and his trophy record is not half bad:
The World Cup, Copa America, Champions League, Spanish Liga as well as individual honours including world player of the year.
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As someone else said, it's just longevity. Ronaldinho was brilliant for a few years - at a time when football was between generations: Zidane/Ronaldo, for example, are considered two of the best ever players in their position, and their careers were nearing their end just as Ronaldinho took over as the world's best player. Unfortunately, Ronaldinho couldn't keep up his performances that led people to believe he could be an all time great and now he's largely overshadowed by Messi, who has kept up his performances over a longer period of time and at a higher standard.
xxbradkennedyxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never as consistant or as efficient as the others, plus he hit the burgers too early in his career.
Jack93o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He may not be in the conversation of the G.O.A.T (greatest of all time), but I don't think I'll ever forget his looping freekick against david season in the 2002 WC which is extra memorable because he then got sent off :rofl:
The Cornerstone
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I remember he was regarded as the best by a lot of people, a bit like people are talking about Messi now. But after Barca, nothing much happened.
anonstudent1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Even in his peak, he was nowhere near as efficient as Ronaldo and Messi are today.
He was an excellent showman and had amazing skills and ball control though.
Torrresss
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anonstudent1)
Even in his peak, he was nowhere near as efficient as Ronaldo and Messi are today.
Yeah his efficiency is a good point.

He was flash and possessed unbelievable talent but this didn't necessarily transfer to an end product as often as it does with Messi or Ronaldo.

Having said that, I don't think I've watched a more entertaining player.
craglyboy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Purely attitude, granted he was a fantastic player but he knew it. He was too lazy on the field and was part of the Barcelona side who really with all their skill under performed. Guardiola came in got rid of the ego's and the ones with the wrong work ethic and look where they are now.
Sagacious
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
End product.

Look at Messi and Ronaldo, they're averaging way over a goal a game in the league. Ronaldinho couldn't manage that.

Hence, he can't be mentioned in the same bracket. Although, he had the best skills, just inefficient in comparison to the best of all time.
Spaz Man
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In my opinion he was a genius but fell short of true greatness due to his injury and fitness problems.
craglyboy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anonstudent1)
Zidane was way more efficient and just as entertaining to watch IMO. I would rather see a drop of the shoulder run of giggs or a magnetic run of messi rather than the ridiculous step overs of horse tooth or ronaldo any day.

Also I wouldn't bum messi or Ronaldo too much if I recall messi has the worst successful dribble ratio in la liga although that may be down to the shear amount he has.
The Doggfather
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He had like 3 world class seasons where he was untouchable

Then collapsed
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When I think about him I just remember how he fell from grace so quickly
TheInvincibles14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
His best performance:

He was unstoppable at Barca, especially between the years 2005-07, he would destroy defender's in every single game and could win games single handedly, similar to what Ronaldo and Messi are doing right now. But after he discovered the nightlife in Barcelona that kind of ruined his career and Barca then sold him to Milan because they didn't want Ronaldinho and Deco to influence Messi which in effect would have stalled his development. I still think he should be regarded alongside the likes of Zidane, purely because of his ability and what he brought to the game. But it's true to say he could have been so much more if he took care of himself.
reeceyjay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Torrresss)
Yeah his efficiency is a good point.

He was flash and possessed unbelievable talent but this didn't necessarily transfer to an end product as often as it does with Messi or Ronaldo.

Having said that, I don't think I've watched a more entertaining player.
i don't think that is a true evaluation on such a brilliant player, he often won games on his own with end product shown out of this world. Yes he lacked discipline as he often liked parties etc... however he is the most gifted player of HIS generation and has proven it for club sides and internationally. So you say that Ronaldinho hasn't shown end product as much as messi or Ronaldo yet Ronaldinho has won a world cup and won player of the tournament in 2002 I believe but Ronaldo or messi hasn't. your point was invalid
You should watch SKY SPORTS documentary footballs greatest - Ronaldinho
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (127)
19.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (61)
9.4%
No I am happy with my course choice (368)
56.7%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise