The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

ADHD

I don't mean to offend anybody with ADHD or anybody that knows somebody with ADHD. I have a friend that has it too.

I honestly think that it is a lot of nonsense. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Somebody with ADHD can spit in a teachers face and get away with it and called 'brave' and receive a new gaming console or something. If somebody like you or me did it we'd probably be kicked out of education personally.

I just think that it's an awful reason for parents to justify why their child/children are misbehaving.

I would say that it's a little bit too far to call it a disability.

What are your thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

I think the same for dyslexia. I love how disgruntled parents pressure GPs for a diagnosis to allow their stupid child to get a free laptop or extra time in exams. It makes me smile to see them still fail miserably, blaming the dyslexia rather than the fact they haven't shown up to any lessons. Delusional. Everyone has different skills. There's no point "diagnosing" an illness that is quite simply a personal differentiation.

Original post by Hanshen

EDIT: In response to a reply from a dyslexic person i'd like to add another point. I feel that those who suffer physical disability which prevents the brain from transferring information to the exam paper through the hand are worthy of an advantage over other, non-disabled students. However, a 'condition' which prevents the interpretation of data, I believe, does not warrant an advantage over others, simply because it is one step away from giving the less intelligent a helping hand. Imagine an exam hall full of people, and each row is assigned a different IQ boundary, 80-90, 90-100 etc. We are hovering close to this anyway, with teachers being encouraged to leave the intelligent children to their own devices to dedicate unrealistic amounts of resources to the ones who cannot, or will not learn (not unfounded, have two teachers in the family).

Obviously, when you are the one that is benefiting from the "aid", it's excellent - my problem for example is substance abuse, and if I could be given extra time in exams, or a laptop to aid study I would be justifying it every which way. But, from the viewpoint of someone who isn't receiving aid due to a non-physical disability (such as paralysis, MS etc) I believe that saying "oh, this person is really intelligent but is unable to read except through a green tinted filter and gets distracted every two seconds, so let's give him a laptop to aid study and extra time in the exams" is unnecessary and actually quite irritating for those who also have potentially serious problems that simply aren't recognised by the system.
(edited 11 years ago)
Gonna take a wild guess you know **** all about ADHD
Reply 3
Original post by I Gurn Hard
I think the same for dyslexia. I love how disgruntled parents pressure GPs for a diagnosis to allow their stupid child to get a free laptop or extra time in exams. It makes me smile to see them still fail miserably, blaming the dyslexia rather than the fact they haven't shown up to any lessons. Delusional. Everyone has different skills. There's no point "diagnosing" an illness that is quite simply a personal differentiation.

Couldn't agree with that more.

I understand that you'd be pretty annoyed to have a condition where you spell everything phonetically but it's the basic principle that none of them try.

They don't attend lessons and give teachers attitude, fair enough, but when they fail their exams and they have angry parents and teachers asking them what happened they blame the dyslexia.
Reply 4
ADHD is a load of crap and simply a way for doctors to tell parents that their child is a little **** in todays PC world.

Now why do I say this?

Because I have seen the miracle cure to ADHD- it is called harsh punishment. If the kid is being a pain, throw freezing water on him and watch as he will now behave for as long as you need them to. Now if it was a real problem, this would have simply not worked :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by Jimbo1234
ADHD is a load of crap and simply a way for doctors to tell parents that their child is a little **** in todays PC world.

Now why do I say this?

Because I have seen the miracle cure to ADHD- it is called harsh punishment. If the kid is being a pain, throw freezing water on him and watch as he will now behave for as long as you need them to. Now if it was a real problem, this would have simply not worked :rolleyes:

Good answer my friend.

The drugs you get for 'ADHD' is more of a relaxant, so it 'mongs you out'... Which in conclusion: If you have 'ADHD' and you take your pills/medication then you aren't going to be in a state of mind fit for learning because you will be chilled out.

However, I know of people that don't take their medication on purpose to be little ****s basically. So you can't win.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Is it now considered a "disability" legally?

Definitely agree with the OP, the kids should not get special treatment because of the way they behave - that is nonsense - they need to be punished appropriately.
Reply 7
Original post by ufo2012
Is it now considered a "disability" legally?

Definitely agree with the OP, the kids should not get special treatment because of the way they behave - that is nonsense - they need to be punished appropriately.

I'm sure that it's classed as a disability.

I had a neighbor that lived around the corner from me. She had a boy who had ADHD. The local council have her more money and arranged for taxi's to take the son to and from school because he was 'disabled' - So it must now be a disability by law.
Reply 8
Here's the thing...

It would be interesting to hear from people on here who are considered ADHD.

I mention this because for quite a number of years we heard little mention of it, but suddenly within the last few years it is a big issue in schools and everywhere else.

Any kid who spits in the teachers face should be thrown out of the school.

Many years ago such a child would have been caned, or worse the teacher would have sank their Size 12 steel toe-capped boot into their *** - maybe we need to return to this - for the good of the child of course!
Reply 9
Exactly. I find it ridiculous.

I think that it just sets kids up for a self fulfilling prophecy. I have noticed that a huge majority of people with ADHD have parents on benefits. Is this because they get more money?

I think it just sets the tone that messing about is okay as long as you have a reason to justify it. If I were them I'd take school more seriously.
Reply 10
honestly...this is stupid. are you sure you know someone with ADHD?
because people with ADHD really suffer.
It's basically how every child is easy to distract,little bit hyperactive...only if you have ADHD it's a lot more worse. Some of them might behave really badly because it's just not in their brains how to be polite and everything. To go to a regular school most of them must receive a medical treatment. although i dont think it's the right solution to sedate someone in order to shut them up, but its the only way they can go to school without feeling like their brains are squashed.
Reply 11
Original post by mimile
It's basically how every child is easy to distract,little bit hyperactive...only if you have ADHD it's a lot more worse. Some of them might behave really badly because it's just not in their brains how to be polite and everything. To go to a regular school most of them must receive a medical treatment. although i dont think it's the right solution to sedate someone in order to shut them up, but its the only way they can go to school without feeling like their brains are squashed.

I understand and welcome your opinion.

I do know people with ADHD.

I was just giving my honest opinion of it whilst asking for yours.
Reply 12
also doctors have known about ADHD for a long time...they just used another name. i think it was something like fidgety philip syndrom. at least that's what i read. but unlike most of you i consider ADHD a disability. it's mental but it still is a disadvantage for people suffering from it.
Reply 13
Original post by mimile

That begs a completely different question though, should they really be in the normal school system?

I think it's better that they are out of it, it is way too much to have ADHD kids in a normal class - it does no-one any good, not that kid or the other kids.
Reply 14
so why exactly do you think it's not a disability? i mean no one would say the same thing about asperger or bipolarity.
Reply 15
Original post by ufo2012
That begs a completely different question though, should they really be in the normal school system?

I think it's better that they are out of it, it is way too much to have ADHD kids in a normal class - it does no-one any good, not that kid or the other kids.

you're absolutely right.they should not have to.but the thing is special schools cost a lot and there are not to many of thm around the world. so a lot of parents cant afford to sent their children there.
Reply 16
You are misreading what I wrote. I did not say that I thought it wasn't (at least not yet).

I asked if "legally" it is classed as one. There is a difference, as when it is classed "legally" as one, that brings entitlements (obviously) which the OP has hinted at with the kid on their street.

Although, whether or not it is a disability falls into the category of most mental illnesses (if you think they are a disability or not).

The legal definition of disability goes into more detail in that it would prevent a person from going about their normal life or prevent them from carrying out their job role - if it was that extreme, then yes it would be - but looking at many such cases it would appear that people who fall into this category have more than just one simple problem (e.g. ADHD) - they are presented with a whole host of medical/mental issues.

But if it's not to be a disability (as per the definition above), then it is just a bunch of ppl crying wolf trying to claim the benefits they can get out of it.

Isn't it interesting though that as usual, it originated from (no surprise) the USA.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by I Gurn Hard

I am dyslexic and I can assure you it is quite real. It also has absolutely no bearing on intellect. People seem to have this delusional notion that dyslexia is synonymous with stupidity or laziness, however this simply isn't the case. I find I require a pale green colour filter to read proficiently, and I struggle with working memory issues that make even the smallest distractions into an absolute nightmare. Nevertheless, dyslexia certainly hasn't impacted upon my academic performance in the slightest, and I am by no means stupid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
sorry. i really misread that.
so i doN#t know about the uk,but in the us and in germany it is legally classified as disability.
usually ADHD prevents a person from leading a normal life. But there is also ADD,which is slightly easier to handle since people with ADD are not hyperactive,but they still cant concentrate for more than a few minutes,which is why they should attend special schools.
Reply 19
Original post by mimile
sorry. i really misread that.
so i doN#t know about the uk,but in the us and in germany it is legally classified as disability.
usually ADHD prevents a person from leading a normal life. But there is also ADD,which is slightly easier to handle since people with ADD are not hyperactive,but they still cant concentrate for more than a few minutes,which is why they should attend special schools.

The special school debate is a lot more complex than I think you guys/girls are giving it credit for. One may question the extent to which it is creating a disabling environment in the first place, and creating a wider discourse in which the able-bodied are privileged as the 'norm'. There is really no definite answer either way, however, I just wanted to highlight that segregatory education practices have been questioned as potentially problematic within social science/post modern/post structural literature.

Latest