The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

ADHD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpicyStrawberry
If it were rubbish, parents wouldn't raise children to be well behaved. Your tactics are just abuse and don't teach a child anything. I'm not a liberal (don't assume this just because someone isn't willing to chuck cold water over someone for misbehaving, you look like a fool), but I would refuse to subject my child to that because if you actually think of what it will do you would realise there are much better ways of parenting.

:rofl: Parents have failed to raise well behaved children with such a method, hence why previous generations who were not raised in this way were well behaved. Why do you think that ADHD is only a recent "discovery"?

Just abuse? Again, it teacher children this magical thing called consequences. Act like a dick, and you will end up being miserable. It is simple. It works very very well.
What "will it do" exactly? :curious:
If I was being a jackass, my parents might slap me as a major punishment and guess what? They were right. I learnt not to do it again and I am glad they did that because it taught me to be well behaved.

Um, children who go out with their friends need phones in case there is an emergency and they need to contact someone? Sure there are payphones about, but in a situation where you need to act quickly this isn't an option. Surely you could have figured that one out. As for a laptop, they do not necessarily need their own (my sister-in-law shared the laptop with her mum who was at work at the time) but they are needed for school work in certain subjects, as I'm sure you are aware.

Why are children going out without parental supervision? Oh right, modern parenting of just letting your kids roam the streets like stray dogs.
Also, kids were fine before they had phones, so why do they need them now? :rolleyes:
The kid can use a family computer in a communal room. They have no need for their own.

The way it sounds to me is that you think kids are successfully raised if they are scared of their parents, but I think many would agree that if you wanted someone to be scared of you you shouldn't be having children in the first place. Children aren't prisoners, they need care, not forceful kick up the arse for the slightest thing.

Not scared - respected.
Original post by Jimbo1234
:rofl: Parents have failed to raise well behaved children with such a method, hence why previous generations who were not raised in this way were well behaved. Why do you think that ADHD is only a recent "discovery"?

Just abuse? Again, it teacher children this magical thing called consequences. Act like a dick, and you will end up being miserable. It is simple. It works very very well.
What "will it do" exactly? :curious:
If I was being a jackass, my parents might slap me as a major punishment and guess what? They were right. I learnt not to do it again and I am glad they did that because it taught me to be well behaved.

Why are children going out without parental supervision? Oh right, modern parenting of just letting your kids roam the streets like stray dogs.
Also, kids were fine before they had phones, so why do they need them now? :rolleyes:
The kid can use a family computer in a communal room. They have no need for their own.

Not scared - respected.

Let's just agree to disagree then shall we. You will not change my view so there's no point arguing against it. Until you've actually looked after a child for a long period of time I'm not going to take your points seriously because you're just making wild assumptions.

I believe there should be consequences for your actions, but physical punishments aren't appropriate, putting them in their room without luxuries for a while soon teaches them that they don't get anywhere in life kicking and screaming, which is exactly why hitting them isn't the best way to go about it.

Your parents hit you as a child, I was hit as a child, you think it's good and I think it was totally pointless. All it has done for me is learn that you only hit as a last resort because you lack skills in managing unruly children without the use of violence.

As for the boldened part, do you seriously expect me to believe you were never allowed out with your friends when you were over 10 years old to play on a nearby park? If you were under your parents watchful eye until you were 16 (I don't believe this for a second by the way) you didn't have much of a childhood. Where would you learn independence?

As for the computer, I just said the child shares the laptop with the rest of her family, so please make good use of reading comprehension before spouting nonsense.
Let's just agree to disagree then shall we. You will not change my view so there's no point arguing against it. Until you've actually looked after a child for a long period of time I'm not going to take your points seriously because you're just making wild assumptions.

So why post if you clearly did not want to debate no matter how logically sound and correct my post was? :curious:
And what makes you think that I do not know of people who have worked and raised children as a career? Oh, because then you would have to address my point rather than just claim that I am naive. :rolleyes:

I believe there should be consequences for your actions, but physical punishments aren't appropriate, putting them in their room without luxuries for a while soon teaches them that they don't get anywhere in life kicking and screaming, which is exactly why hitting them isn't the best way to go about it.

Physical punishments aren't appropriate because....?

Your parents hit you as a child, I was hit as a child, you think it's good and I think it was totally pointless. All it has done for me is learn that you only hit as a last resort because you lack skills in managing unruly children without the use of violence.

Or sometimes children don't understand much because they are children. I know, quite the crazy idea isn't it.

As for the boldened part, do you seriously expect me to believe you were never allowed out with your friends when you were over 10 years old to play on a nearby park? If you were under your parents watchful eye until you were 16 (I don't believe this for a second by the way) you didn't have much of a childhood. Where would you learn independence?

Parents would come and supervise as that is what they should do....and of course they were not working and were happy to interact and enjoy the company of that thing called their child. Though most of the time it would just comprise of sitting back and talking to other mothers. Modern parents are just lazy and then look to blame everyone else when **** hits the fan.

As for the computer, I just said the child shares the laptop with the rest of her family, so please make good use of reading comprehension before spouting nonsense.

So what was your point about taking it away from them in their room? :confused:
:rofl: Parents have failed to raise well behaved children with such a method, hence why previous generations who were not raised in this way were well behaved. Why do you think that ADHD is only a recent "discovery"?.

Not ADHD specifically; but some disorders weren't discovered until recently - doesn't mean it's not some "fad". For example, Aspergers wasn't recognised until 1994. Because people with Aspergers are of normal to high intelligence, (whereas, someone with Kanners isn't) they were ignored at school and left to get on with it. Hence why it's normal to come across posts on the internet where people in their 40s and 50s were recently diagnosed.
Reply 84
Original post by OU Student
In other words, allow the child with "ADHD" to get away with everything.:rolleyes: They shouldn't be give preferential treatment. They must, like everyone else, be punished for their actions.

Many mainstream schools have separate units for children with behaviour problems. This means they can integrate with other children.

No way, that is the liberal way of thinking/parenting. It doesn't work. I've already made it clear if it was my choice, the best thing for them is a boot up the ***.

Or as Jimbo suggested, more realistically, throw some cold water over them.

Not ADHD specifically; but some disorders weren't discovered until recently - doesn't mean it's not some "fad". For example, Aspergers wasn't recognised until 1994.

It is strange the way we talk about these things being "discovered" or "recognised". Particularly mental health issues. What made them such? Mainly how normal people fit in with society...

For example, take the much discussed "Internet Addition Disorder"... a lot of nonsense? More than likely, the very notion that it even exists is only because of the existence of the internet itself and that some people *may* spend too much time on it. And where did it come from again? Oh yeah, how silly I even asked. Of course, it was the USA.

Likewise with ADHD, would we even recognise/realise that it existed if schools/jobs (fill in the blank with anything mundane) were less boring and less like factory lines? We might not even notice.

It is all just society's expectation and whether it is being met in a certain way or not and that is BS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Not ADHD specifically; but some disorders weren't discovered until recently - doesn't mean it's not some "fad". For example, Aspergers wasn't recognised until 1994. Because people with Aspergers are of normal to high intelligence, (whereas, someone with Kanners isn't) they were ignored at school and left to get on with it. Hence why it's normal to come across posts on the internet where people in their 40s and 50s were recently diagnosed.

Ah, another partially fake diagnosis made up to allow some doctor to worm his way into the history books.
Again, it is amazing how many people with Aspergers learn to be normal after they get a good *******ing from their teachers and peers. However, unlike ADHD, some people with Aspergers do have a problem but they should be diagnosed as mildly autistic rather than having Aspergers.
Ah, another partially fake diagnosis made up to allow some doctor to worm his way into the history books.
Again, it is amazing how many people with Aspergers learn to be normal after they get a good *******ing from their teachers and peers. However, unlike ADHD, some people with Aspergers do have a problem but they should be diagnosed as mildly autistic rather than having Aspergers.

What a load of bull****. The brains of people with Autism are wired differently and this shows up on MRIs. (although it's not a recognised diagnostic method)

No matter how much of a "good ******ing" I got from teachers doesn't change the fact that people with Aspergers do have major problem socially.

I would hardly call Aspergers a mild form of Autism. Unless sensory overload and not being to cope in public is a "mild" problem too?

Can I suggest you actually read up on Aspergers before spouting such ****?
(edited 11 years ago)
What a load of bull****. The brains of people with Autism are wired differently and this shows up on MRIs. (although it's not a recognised diagnostic method)

I never said that this was not the case :curious:
However Autism is far too vague and is the medical equivalent of saying that anyone with a fever is just ill aka pretty ****ing useless.

No matter how much of a "good ******ing" I got from teachers doesn't change the fact that people with Aspergers do have major problem socially.

Well I have seen many learn and adapt. The fact is that Aspergers does not make you stupid, just not fully understand social situations. However, a dog does not need to learn why not to bite people, just simply to not bite - the same applies to people with Aspergers. They do not need to understand social rules in order to follow them. Again, I say this because I have seen people with Aspergers learn this method and socially be more able than some people who do not have Aspergers.

I would hardly call Aspergers a mild form of Autism. Unless sensory overload and not being to cope in public is a "mild" problem too?

Some of the symptoms are the same - social problems, OCD etc.

Can I suggest you actually read up on Aspergers before spouting such ****?

Aw, rather than actually showing how my points are wrong you are yet another person on this thread who thinks that screaming "Ignorance" instantly makes you win an argument. :rofl:

Well I have seen many learn and adapt. The fact is that Aspergers does not make you stupid, just not fully understand social situations. However, a dog does not need to learn why not to bite people, just simply to not bite - the same applies to people with Aspergers. They do not need to understand social rules in order to follow them. Again, I say this because I have seen people with Aspergers learn this method and socially be more able than some people who do not have Aspergers.

You are aware that Aspergers affects everyone differently, aren't you? We do need to understand social rules. How can we follow rules if we don't understand them? Unless you've got it, I don't think you can really comment.
You are aware that Aspergers affects everyone differently, aren't you? We do need to understand social rules. How can we follow rules if we don't understand them? Unless you've got it, I don't think you can really comment.

:facepalm2: Again, look at my comment about training dogs. You don't need to understand something to follow a basic rule do you, unless of course dogs now understand morality and emotions :rofl: Also, how can Aspergers effect people so differently, but everyone is diagnosed under the same name? Someone with a sore throat is not diagnosed the same as someone with diarrhoea or with a tumour.
This is the reason why people doubt and question things like this and ADHD.
(edited 11 years ago)
Also, how can Aspergers effect people so differently, but everyone is diagnosed under the same name?

Quite easy. My brother and a friend of mine have it. They are not affected in the same way. I am not affected in the same way as them either.

That could be said about any disability though. I have met people with one of my diagnoses. Many don't drive (including me) because their sight is too poor and others have no problems at all with driving. But that is rare.
So why post if you clearly did not want to debate no matter how logically sound and correct my post was? :curious:
And what makes you think that I do not know of people who have worked and raised children as a career? Oh, because then you would have to address my point rather than just claim that I am naive. :rolleyes:

Physical punishments aren't appropriate because....?

Or sometimes children don't understand much because they are children. I know, quite the crazy idea isn't it.

Parents would come and supervise as that is what they should do....and of course they were not working and were happy to interact and enjoy the company of that thing called their child. Though most of the time it would just comprise of sitting back and talking to other mothers. Modern parents are just lazy and then look to blame everyone else when **** hits the fan.

So what was your point about taking it away from them in their room? :confused:

It's actually quite astounding how ignorant and naive you are, despite not thinking it yourself. Never mind, you're evidently locked up in your warped views so there's no point trying to discuss other methods with you without being replied to in an immature manner. It was 'interesting' talking to you. Just a tip for you - leave the discussions about medical issues to people who have experience or academic knowledge of them in the future, it really would save you from looking so silly.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's actually quite astounding how ignorant and naive you are, despite not thinking it yourself. Never mind, you're evidently locked up in your warped views so there's no point trying to discuss other methods with you without being replied to in an immature manner. It was 'interesting' talking to you. Just a tip for you - leave the discussions about medical issues to people who have experience or academic knowledge of them in the future, it really would save you from looking so silly.

So rather than countering my points, you resort to an ad hominem attack and claim to know more than me yet post no sources or anything to back up your claim? :giggle: Right, because that is constitutive and not derailing the thread.

If you have evidence of why I am wrong about ADHD with your " experience or academic knowledge", please show everyone here. But there is a reason why everyone thinks ADHD is crap and why so many people agreed with my comment, and that is because there is no proof and that ADHD is utter rubbish.
Reply 93
So rather than countering my points, you resort to an ad hominem attack and claim to know more than me yet post no sources or anything to back up your claim? :giggle: Right, because that is constitutive and not derailing the thread.

If you have evidence of why I am wrong about ADHD with your " experience or academic knowledge", please show everyone here. But there is a reason why everyone thinks ADHD is crap and why so many people agreed with my comment, and that is because there is no proof and that ADHD is utter rubbish.

I would be interested to hear this academic backing. If it has what has gone IN to the DSM it is probably not that interesting. If it is what has come OUT of the DSM as a result of study thought that may be more interesting.

Although based on everything else we have to go on, it seems we cannot expect much more than purely theory or maybe even conjecture - but still be interesting to hear it to get some decent discussion anyway.

And the evidence you've provided to substantiate your claims is? Oh wait, it's just an opinion of yours which has no substance since you have no experience nor have you studied it. I'm going to ignore you now, you're boring and ignorant - the best thing you've managed to come up with is "ADHD is crap", how intellectual.
Original post by ufo2012
I would be interested to hear this academic backing. If it has what has gone IN to the DSM it is probably not that interesting. If it is what has come OUT of the DSM as a result of study thought that may be more interesting.

Although based on everything else we have to go on, it seems we cannot expect much more than purely theory or maybe even conjecture - but still be interesting to hear it to get some decent discussion anyway.

Sadly it seems that mature discussion is too much for some people in this thread :facepalm2: The thing is that there is no conclusive evidence for ADHD besides a very vague check list of how a badly behaved child acts. Unlike a psychopath, it is unknown how much is physical, and how much is nurture. As many new studies show that as outside stimulus, eg a good smack, can cause change, that ADHD is most likely nurture thus is just a medical diagnosis of bad behaviour.

And the evidence you've provided to substantiate your claims is? Oh wait, it's just an opinion of yours which has no substance since you have no experience nor have you studied it. I'm going to ignore you now, you're boring and ignorant - the best thing you've managed to come up with is "ADHD is crap", how intellectual.

Yet I was not the one who resorted to ad hominem attacks and confused debating with insulting the other person.
And as I said in my first post, I have dealt and managed to magically cure ADHD. As shown above, I do know a fair bit about it and have done my research. Have you? Thought not :giggle:
Sadly it seems that mature discussion is too much for some people in this thread :facepalm2: The thing is that there is no conclusive evidence for ADHD besides a very vague check list of how a badly behaved child acts. Unlike a psychopath, it is unknown how much is physical, and how much is nurture.

In other words, you could claim you have something based on xyz symptoms which can't be proven or disproven. Whereas some learning disabilities (such as Autism and Downs Syndrome) can be proven.
In other words, you could claim you have something based on xyz symptoms which can't be proven or disproven. Whereas some learning disabilities (such as Autism and Downs Syndrome) can be proven.

So where are your sources again showing that you know something about ADHD? :rolleyes:
So where are your sources again showing that you know something about ADHD? :rolleyes:

I don't have any of the top of my head. My sister who is a trainee psychologist even thinks it's a load of bull.
Reply 99
hi,

for starters I have ADHD, diagnosed with it when I was in primary school, misbehaved quite a bit, but didn't receive any special treatment or anything and did ok in my sats, when starting secondry school i started taking a low dose of ritalin concerter, this meant i could concentrate on my work better and i could see how i was behaving, which i never really noticed before. I started behaving as normal, at start of my GCSEs i decided i didn't want to take it any more, and to see if i was okay without it, i was, and it helped my confidence and i did well in my exams and went on to a-level and am now doing a physics degree, and although i have trouble concentrating on my work sometimes, but I'm doing okay, but it is a real thing. my ADHD, btw, isn't very severe.

Basically it mean i'm more prone to getting distracted by things than a normal person, and have trouble concentrating even when i want to.

Anyway, basically ADHD has been proved to be linked to certain genes and is cause by a lack of certain chemicals being produced in the brain, ritalin causes this chemical to be produced and hence allows your brain to function normally.

sorry for the long post :P

Latest

Trending

Trending