Turn on thread page Beta

Atmosphere watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    Yes you are. Shame on you (*wags finger at claire*). Everyone, it seems, is at fault here except me.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are. Shame on you (*wags finger at claire*). Everyone, it seems, is at fault here except me.
    Yes of course... Not that you haven't insulted, me, Bookworm, Durham, it's students, France, Germany and feminism all in the same thread in about an hour...

ReputationRep:
    But then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like "northerns are thugs" ....
    Well at least you're able to ironic. That's something I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    I am willing to listen to anyones opinion regarding it is put in a reasonable manner. And if their reasoning is strong enough to sway me from my own thoughts on the issue, then i may change my opinion. But you cannot call people childish just because they don't agree with you.
    If i took that attitude, at some time or another i would call everyone childish.
    I don't take that attitude, but when a couple of prejudiced people start talking trash about a subject they have zero knowledge about, and then make stupid comments, then i will respond negatively.

I'll accept decent arguments, but not that, never.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I don't take that attitude, but when a couple of prejudiced people start talking trash about a subject they have zero knowledge about, and then make stupid comments, then i will respond negatively.

Well of course. I accept that those sorts of responses will be given on emotive issues such as these.
    But i would hope that people could do this without resorting to personal attacks, totally disregarding the issue at hand.

ReputationRep:
    There are few things as satisfying as Forum Group Therapy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)

Look Bono.

The discussion was about the legality of marital relationships between young girls and adults in Iran.

No, I don't have first hand knowledge of Iran. I don't have first hand knowledge of a lot of things. That doesn't mean I can't do some simple research and advance an opinion.

I proved it was legal by referencing an Iranian Civil Code.

I proved it was "not uncommon in rural areas" by citing from an Iranian Women's forum. Piginapoke posted a similar source to back up what I said.

So, what was the problem?

The problem was that you didn't like the evidence and turned it into something it wasn't, an accusation of myself and Vienna being "completely clueless, racist, and prejudiced against Iranians"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Look Bono.

The discussion was about the legality of marital relationships between young girls and adults in Iran.

No, I don't have first hand knowledge of Iran. I don't have first hand knowledge of a lot of things. That doesn't mean I can't do some simple research and advance an opinion.

I proved it was legal by referencing an Iranian Civil Code.

I proved it was "not uncommon in rural areas" by citing from an Iranian Women's forum. Piginapoke posted a similar source to back up what I said.

So, what was the problem?

The problem was that you didn't like the evidence and turned it into something it wasn't, an accusation of myself and Vienna being "completely clueless, racist, and prejudiced against Iranians"
    No, you were prejudiced against iranian people just because of their leader making a bad law.

This sort of stuff rarely happens in Iran, and in every country there are people that do bad things.

You can't just say crap like "Iran is a **** country" just because of a minority of people who are bad - irregardless of it being legal or not, because that is their bad leader's choice, NOT THEM.

That's my point, you criticize iranian people because they have a bad leader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    No, you were prejudiced against iranian people just because of their leader making a bad law.

This sort of stuff rarely happens in Iran, and in every country there are people that do bad things.

You can't just say crap like "Iran is a **** country" just because of a minority of people who are bad - irregardless of it being legal or not, because that is their bad leader's choice, NOT THEM.

That's my point, you criticize iranian people because they have a bad leader.
    But, I PROVED it isn't rare Bono. What exactly would satisfy your standard of proof?

I cited a web site ran by Iranian women who said it was not rare. I admit I don't have first hand knowledge of Iran but surely to God they do don't they?

ReputationRep:
    But, I PROVED it isn't rare Bono. What exactly would satisfy your standard of proof?

I cited a web site ran by Iranian women who said it was not rare. I admit I don't have first hand knowledge of Iran but surely to God they do don't they?
    It isn't common.

Kildare researched it and backed me up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    It isn't common.

Kildare researched it and backed me up.
    Kildare didn't do a stroke of research. I did. And when I presented what I'd found Kildare backed down. Ask him!

ReputationRep:
    Kildare didn't do a stroke of research. I did. And when I presented what I'd found Kildare backed down. Ask him!
    It isn't common, ok, it isn't "rare" but the numbers who do this are tiny compared to the general population.

And besides, this is no basis for you to say "Iran is a **** country."

In England, murder isn't "uncommon" is it?

It isn't common of course, because it's a very bad thing, but it happens enough times to be deemed "not uncommon" - The same could be said about this issue..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    It isn't common, ok, it isn't "rare" but the numbers who do this are tiny compared to the general population.

And besides, this is no basis for you to say "Iran is a **** country."

In England, murder isn't "uncommon" is it?

It isn't common of course, because it's a very bad thing, but it happens enough times to be deemed "not uncommon" - The same could be said about this issue..
    It isn't a "very bad thing" in Iran. That's why they have a law that makes it legitamizes it.

It isn't rare either. It's "not uncommon in rural areas" How many people live in rural areas in Iran Bono? 28 million.

Murder is very uncommon in England actually. But that's besides the point as murder is illegal in England, whereas child-adult marital relations are legal in Iran. Can't you see the difference?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a "very bad thing" in Iran. That's why they have a law that makes it legitamizes it.

It isn't rare either. It's "not uncommon in rural areas" How many people live in rural areas in Iran Bono? 28 million.

Murder is very uncommon in England actually. But that's besides the point as murder is illegal in England, whereas child-adult marital relations are legal in Iran. Can't you see the difference?
    Yes, one has a worse leader than the other, thats the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, one has a worse leader than the other, thats the difference.
    Well, we can go round and round the mulberry bush until one of us dies.

Nothing is ever going to convince you. However powerful the evidence under your nose, however bona-fide the source, you simply won't accept it.

You go on believing that child adult marriage is frowned upon and very very rare in rural Iran, and I'll go on believing in Zeus. Deal?

ReputationRep:
    Look, Iran sucks and Muslims are savages - what's the big deal?
    There was no need for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I can't help noticing that the atmosphere around the board has taken a turn for the worst recently.

Insulting and aggression has reached an all time high.

Isn't it time we spread some good vibes?
    Yeah, this place is getting crappier by the day, I must say. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Bono,

I really supported you in your bid to become mod, but now I feel I was wrong and this forum would become havoc if you were.

I just think you are becoming really silly - you are posting so much and repeating yourself all the time, and you only ever complain and be aggressive to members who are just having a rational discussion. Vienna or any other member is not racist - you only believe this because they have their opinions about certain countries and regimes, and that is only fair that they express them. That is not called racism. They are not against the race but the culture that surrounds it. They DO back their views up: what makes you the one to decide whether their justification is good justification or not??? You are always going on about how bad America is - doesn't that make YOU the racist one? Or the hypocrite?

I agree with the threadstarter, this forum is becoming really bad lately. And I blame the following two things amongst others:

1. Newbies - ok ok, most of you are lovely, but there are so many new members of not as high a standard as before...most of them raise very boring or superficial issues and write random uninspiring rubbish. That may be harsh, but I think it's true!

2. Subforums. Because everything is getting more and more separated day by day, it is very difficult to keep track of posts which ironically makes the forum feel cluttered and frustrating to browse. This is not helped by the server being busy all the time!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think that if more people thought about the effect what they posted might have on other people, then this forum might have a better 'atmosphere' (BTW.. I am very much included in this bracket). Some people appear to find it amusing (whilst trying to amuse others) to be very offensive and arrogant. Whilst moderate amounts of sarcasm and irony can be tolerated, some of the posting lately has become over the top (e.g. Howard and Bono today). I'm sure that both of them are fine people, and in the heat of the moment you can write (lol) rash posts. However, if we thought about our posts before sending them, then this forum (and indeed the world) would be more relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, why did Bono post a poll last night about becoming a mod and he wasn't getting the result he wanted (ie. it was slightly skewed to people being against him becoming a mod.) So as he didn't get the result he wanted last night he made a poll again - but this time a public poll, because he knew that some people wouldn't vote against him as he and everyone else could see who was doing it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.