This discussion is closed.
claire1985
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Is anyone else taking advantage of the good exchange rates and buying things from America at the mo'? Someone I know has just bought a pair of boots that would cost £160 rrp over here, for £60! I bet the exchange rate will stabilise soon so I thought i'd get in quick, I fancy buying some shoes and stuff..
claire1985
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gnostic)
Yeah, I'm thinking of making a trip to New York and buying some feminist books )
Please refer to the Atmosphere thread, I am not allowing this thread to dissolve into petty argument
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
Is anyone else taking advantage of the good exchange rates and buying things from America at the mo'? Someone I know has just bought a pair of boots that would cost £160 rrp over here, for £60! I bet the exchange rate will stabilise soon so I thought i'd get in quick, I fancy buying some shoes and stuff..
I did plenty of shopping in California when i visited over the half term. Very good prices - ended up spending all my money
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
www.americangoodies.com is an excellent site orgininally designed for US expats. They offer various services, such as sending a person out to buy something for you from a normal high street shop and then sending it on to you. Alternatively, if you order from a US web site which only ships within the US you can have the goods sent to them, and they will resend them to you.

I just got my Ipod Mini from another US site... only cost £156 including P&P.
claire1985
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tednol)
www.americangoodies.com is an excellent site orgininally designed for US expats. They offer various services, such as sending a person out to buy something for you from a normal high street shop and then sending it on to you. Alternatively, if you order from a US web site which only ships within the US you can have the goods sent to them, and they will resend them to you.

I just got my Ipod Mini from another US site... only cost £156 including P&P.
Yeah I have seen some really nice boots on the Steve Madden site for £45, they aren't even out here yet, ooh they are so nice :-)
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm thinking of buying up some american dollars using my savings account.
In my calculations the standard rate from £ to $ is 1.6, but now it is around 1.9.

So by buying up American dolalrs and waiting, I could make a tidy sum.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeh i bought a tiffany&co bracelet,keyring and pen from New York. only got a 1.84 exchange rate as paid with credit card.
dizzzzzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im buying a couple of really nice prom dresses for under £100 from america but you get hit with extra charges so whereas it should only cost me £120, itll cost me bout £160. i know ppl who its happened to so u have to be careful if you order from america
onlylittleme
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
yeh i bought a tiffany&co bracelet,keyring and pen from New York. only got a 1.84 exchange rate as paid with credit card.
Yeah, my mum is on a business trip in America at the moment, so me and my sister have given her lists and lists of things to buy! My friends dad even asked her to buy an ipod for my friends birthday and he is going to pay my mum back!
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I just thought I'd better warn you that anything above £18 bought by mail order from outside the EU will incur customs charges; it's a £5 handling fee (for Royal Mail that is, other carriers charge up to £20) and c. 20% of the item's value.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (231)
39.09%
Take autumn exams (177)
29.95%
Look for a job (20)
3.38%
Consider an apprenticeship (23)
3.89%
Take a year out (105)
17.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (35)
5.92%

Watched Threads