The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by geografreak
I'm from Singapore :smile: well I don't think I'll have enough time to go for open days in the uk! the system here is really different because we start school in jan. a levels are this december, I get my results in march and then hopefully I'll be off to a uni next sept in the uk! which means I have to start applying now. but it's alright because there are plenty of representatives from the various universities here. I suppose nothing beats seeing and touring the actual university though.

Singapore, thats nice. Been there :biggrin: lovely place, and yeah i know about their schooling system. Its not so different from India's system (I'm from India originally)

Original post by geografreak

good luck with all your applications/ release of results!! :smile:

Thanks :smile: and trust me, i need all the luck i can gather :biggrin:
Reply 121
Original post by Ellie_May :)
I've booked an open day for Exeters cornwall campus, but now thinking of booking one for the streatham campus as well. It's confusing as both campuses do BSc Geography.
I like cornwall. I'm a quiet person and feel more comfortable within smaller surroundings where I can get to know people easier. However streatham is also a beautiful campus and is closer to a city to do shopping etc. Not sure whether it's best for me to go to both campuses or not. I'm a twin so my parents are out on open days pretty much every week from sept-november!

That's a toughie. They do give you a small presentation for Cornwall at the Streatham talk though it won't really be extensive. But it might inspire you to go, and the open day for that is usually much earlier so they basically say at the exeter open day that if you like what you're hearing, and you think you might prefer it over Exeter, then you should go. But I wouldn't go to Cornwall without going to Exeter personally I don't think, there's probably more to see at Exeter anyway.
Original post by Bulbasaur
That's a toughie. They do give you a small presentation for Cornwall at the Streatham talk though it won't really be extensive. But it might inspire you to go, and the open day for that is usually much earlier so they basically say at the exeter open day that if you like what you're hearing, and you think you might prefer it over Exeter, then you should go. But I wouldn't go to Cornwall without going to Exeter personally I don't think, there's probably more to see at Exeter anyway.

Thankyou :smile: I have already booked the open day for cornwall now but i have told my parents about going to streatham as well and they kind of agreed seeing as it is earlier than the rest and is on a saturday. Haven't booked it yet but will do soon! My dad has arranged to take me to the eden project for the first time the day after the cornwall campus anyway so if i dont like the programme structure there, i've got eden to look forward to the next day! :smile:
Original post by AH95
Singapore, thats nice. Been there :biggrin: lovely place, and yeah i know about their schooling system. Its not so different from India's system (I'm from India originally)

Thanks :smile: and trust me, i need all the luck i can gather :biggrin:

thank you! well all the best then :smile:
Reply 124
Original post by Ellie_May :)
Thankyou :smile: I have already booked the open day for cornwall now but i have told my parents about going to streatham as well and they kind of agreed seeing as it is earlier than the rest and is on a saturday. Haven't booked it yet but will do soon! My dad has arranged to take me to the eden project for the first time the day after the cornwall campus anyway so if i dont like the programme structure there, i've got eden to look forward to the next day! :smile:

Oh wow! That's good, something to write about in your personal statement too I guess if you're applying for physical geography. Unfortunately Falmouth is over 6 hours away from me D:
Hope you enjoy it :smile:
Oh wow! That's good, something to write about in your personal statement too I guess if you're applying for physical geography. Unfortunately Falmouth is over 6 hours away from me D:
Hope you enjoy it :smile:

Yeah that's a good thing to write about, hadn't thought of that!
How did you guys do in your results? I got an A in Geography and an A in environmental studies as well as a B in english lit. :smile:
I was a bit disappointed. Got a C in my june geography exam, which meant that i was 1 ums overall off an A. I don't really know how it happened, definitely getting a remark though! Got a B in history too so im going to have to re-think my uni choices :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 128
I was quite pleased with my results, AAAC in Geography history maths and physics respectively :smile: And full marks in geography unit 1 (edexcel). Pleasantly surprised.

Original post by tooty_fruit
I was a bit disappointed. Got a C in my june geography exam, which meant that i was 1 ums overall off an A. I don't really know how it happened, definitely getting a remark though! Got a B in history too so im going to have to re-think my uni choices :frown:

Oh damn :frown: Yeah good luck with your remark! History was seriously tough, did you do edexcel? I had my best ever exam in history and I got only 2 marks more than the other exam which I thought I did quite badly in. Strange. I need to find out what other historians in my class got because it feels like it was really harsh...
AAAAC, A's in Geography, Maths, English and the EPQ, C in Chemistry. Very pleased! Hope you all achieved what you were hoping for :smile:
Reply 130
Original post by St. Brynjar
AAAAC, A's in Geography, Maths, English and the EPQ, C in Chemistry. Very pleased! Hope you all achieved what you were hoping for :smile:

Wow, that's surprisingly similar to me! History and english are pretty similar, and chemistry and physics too. Though I won't be submitting my EPQ till easter. Well done on your A in that :smile:
Are you applying for oxbridge at all?
Got a b in my unit 4 so got the A overall in geog sooo happy :smile: B in eng lit a C in Chem which is having a remark for 1 more ums and a D in French which is a miracle fairly pleased and once chemistry is sorted should have the predictions I need for my fav uni at the moment - happy :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Oh damn :frown: Yeah good luck with your remark! History was seriously tough, did you do edexcel?

Yeah I did Edexcel, scraped an A on paper 1 and a B on paper 2. I've got friends that ended up with C's though, so I think they have toughened up on the marking. However, there were people who got A's who really didn't deserve them (Struggled in class all year, never handed essays in), so I don't really know what happened with the marking this year.
Reply 133
Hey there fellow geographers! Thought since other subjects have done this, we should have our own thread :biggrin:
Fill this out so we can all get to know each other :smile:

Name:
BA or Bsc?:
Studying currently:
Universities applying to:

So in my case...

Name: Bulbasaur
BA or Bsc?: BA, or mixed physical and human where possible.
Studying currently: Geography, History, Maths and physics (dropping)
Universities applying to: Now that I have my AS grades I feel like I can give a good stab at applying to Cambridge, Bristol, Durham, Sheffield and Nottingham :smile:

Your turn :smile:

Hello! I'm new here.

Name: hepburn95
BA or Bsc?:Bsc, I prefer physical geography
Studying currently: Geography, Philosophy, English and History (not sure which one to drop yet)
Universities applying to: Possibly Birmingham, Sheffield, Leicester, Royal Holloway and a back up of Portsmouth

My AS grades were AACD - the D being remarked as AQA seem to have messed up the English grades!

I'm confident I can get that C to a B to get into one of the uni's I mentioned.
:h:
Reply 134
My grades were so dissapointing. Apart from Geography (admittedly one of the important ones) i got two Bs and a D!
I really need to work hard on my maths for atleast an A but thats near impossible now... AQA sucks :frown:

Chuffed with geography though! I got 97 UMS on unit 2 and 89 on unit 1... It did have some freaking stupid questions though... Confident for an A* (everything crossed)

My LSE choice seems like a distant dream now!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 135
Geography, economics, chemistry physics.

ABCD.

B was 1 UMS of an A though so thinking about getting a remark. Will probs get my paper back first though to have a look.
Wow, that's surprisingly similar to me! History and english are pretty similar, and chemistry and physics too. Though I won't be submitting my EPQ till easter. Well done on your A in that :smile:
Are you applying for oxbridge at all?

Well done! Thank you, I'm really ecstatic about my EPQ as I did a good 4,000 words and all of my formatting in the night before it was due in! Definitely got off luckily there.

I missed the Cambridge open day (Don't want to apply to Oxford as although I prefer the course I live far too locally to get the 'proper' university experience) but I'd really like to give it a go, it's only one of my five choices after all. I'm a little worried my C will hold me back but I guess I would just have to shine at the interview.

So far I think I'm definitely putting Cambridge (A*AA) Nottingham (AAA) and Manchester (AAA/AAB) as choices with Bristol, Sheffield and Durham all left to visit.

Where do you think you'll apply, Oxbridge? P.S Bulbasaur > Squirtle > Charmander :P
Reply 137
Well done! Thank you, I'm really ecstatic about my EPQ as I did a good 4,000 words and all of my formatting in the night before it was due in! Definitely got off luckily there.

I missed the Cambridge open day (Don't want to apply to Oxford as although I prefer the course I live far too locally to get the 'proper' university experience) but I'd really like to give it a go, it's only one of my five choices after all. I'm a little worried my C will hold me back but I guess I would just have to shine at the interview.

So far I think I'm definitely putting Cambridge (A*AA) Nottingham (AAA) and Manchester (AAA/AAB) as choices with Bristol, Sheffield and Durham all left to visit.

Where do you think you'll apply, Oxbridge? P.S Bulbasaur > Squirtle > Charmander :P

Awesome, great selection of unis :wink: I've mentioned my unis in the opening posts- basically every uni you mentioned just now except Manchester. Don't worry about the C! Ive been told its fine, they only really care about your top 3. It only makes a difference if they're deciding between two close applicants but due to The collegiate system and Interviews that rarely ever happens.What's your UMS like for your A grades? It helps for Cambridge if it's quite high but don't worry too much. One of the lecturers I met only scraped an A in his geography AS..

And totally, Bulbasaur rocks :wink:

Awesome, great selection of unis :wink: I've mentioned my unis in the opening posts- basically every uni you mentioned just now except Manchester. Don't worry about the C! Ive been told its fine, they only really care about your top 3. It only makes a difference if they're deciding between two close applicants but due to The collegiate system and Interviews that rarely ever happens.What's your UMS like for your A grades? It helps for Cambridge if it's quite high but don't worry too much. One of the lecturers I met only scraped an A in his geography AS..

And totally, Bulbasaur rocks :wink:

My UMS were all pretty good, Geography and English were both above 90% and I'm retaking a B I got in Maths in January so that should hoist the marks up a little. If my predictions are A*AA or above then I'm definitely giving Cambridge a go. I'm not so sure about marked written essays though, do I just ask my teacher for essay titles?

And I have no idea which college to go for. I guess I have to do a lot of research!
Reply 139
My UMS were all pretty good, Geography and English were both above 90% and I'm retaking a B I got in Maths in January so that should hoist the marks up a little. If my predictions are A*AA or above then I'm definitely giving Cambridge a go. I'm not so sure about marked written essays though, do I just ask my teacher for essay titles?

And I have no idea which college to go for. I guess I have to do a lot of research!

Awesome, that's similar to me (you might've done better but I've asked for a remark on a few things). If you have two over 90% you'll probably get predicted two A*s, so you'll be fine I think.

And I'm pretty sure Cambridge set you a question and you have to answer it... I think. Really not sure on that one, sorry! I just read that somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending