Is anyone entitled to a student loan?

Watch
isaacworthington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
If your parents are on over £50,000 is it true you're not entitled?
bahjat93
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by isaacworthington)
My mum earns around double that before tax. I was entitled to £9k loan and a minimum grant which was stupidly small
King James
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by isaacworthington)
I think it's just that you won't get the full amount. http://studentcalculator.org.uk/ <-- Link might help, just fill it in the entitlements section and it'll work it out for you.
A.J10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You get fees paid plus a non means tested maintenance load of (I think) around £5000
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bahjat93)
My mum earns around double that before tax. I was entitled to £9k loan and a minimum grant which was stupidly small
I wouldn't go around dropping figures about parents' earnings, it's just not done.
ihateocr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's a stupid system, since I live with my mum and her partner, yet my mum only works part time and gets around £10k a year, whereas her partner works on a commission based system so for the financial year student finance him to enter, I get the minimum maintenance grant. Next year however, I will be entitled to the maximum because he received less business that year. Plus the fact he has 2 children who live with their mother that he has to support.
This system needs a massive overhaul, since I'm going to have to support myself entirely, without any help from anyone.
I'm happily willing to do so, but I think it's particularly unfair how your parent’s income should determine whether or not it is necessary for you to work part-time at university.
Potally_Tissed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Everyone can get the tuition fee loan of £9000 a year and the first chunk of the maintenance loan (about £3500) regardless of what their parents earn. It's the grants and the higher part of the loan that are income-assessed.
Existentialistic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by A.J10)
You get fees paid plus a non means tested maintenance load of (I think) around £5000
More like £3500
TheGrinningSkull
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Existentialistic)
More like £3500
(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
Everyone can get the tuition fee loan of £9000 a year and the first chunk of the maintenance loan (about £3500) regardless of what their parents earn. It's the grants and the higher part of the loan that are income-assessed.
I thought the maintenance loan was £2755

Or is that if you're living at home?
Potally_Tissed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
I thought the maintenance loan was £2755

Or is that if you're living at home?
Yeah, that's the amount for living at home :yes:
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
everyone is entitled to a student loan but the more you eanr the less you get and for such an income youre not entitled to a maintainance grant
TheGrinningSkull
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, that's the amount for living at home :yes:
That's fair enough, thanks for confirming
Jenn.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, just found an answer! Thank you so much for this reply! My parents (especially my father) were so worried!!! So, are you sure that anyone can get the FULL student loan (regardless of your parents' income)? I guess it is the same for EU students? (EU students pay the same fees as UK students and can apply for a loan as well, according to their website)
Cll_ws
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jenn.)
Oh, just found an answer! Thank you so much for this reply! My parents (especially my father) were so worried!!! So, are you sure that anyone can get the FULL student loan (regardless of your parents' income)? I guess it is the same for EU students? (We pay the same fees as UK students and can apply for a loan as well)
You can get the full tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. Anybody can. Just not the full maintenance grant.
Jenn.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cll_ws)
You can get the full tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. Anybody can. Just not the maintenance grant.
Oh, thank you so much for the reply!!! So relieved. I couldn't seem to find any information on their website!
Cll_ws
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jenn.)
Oh, thank you so much for the reply!!! So relieved. I couldn't seem to find any information on their website!
You can use this calculator to find out roughly what you'll get.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If your household income is £42000+ then you won't get any maintenance grant. But everybody is eligible for the tuition fee and maintenance loans.

I think the amount you get for a maintenance loan is still somewhat dependent on household income, but everybody regardless of income gets the minimum amount which I think is £3,600 per year. Depending on income though you could get anything up to £5555 (or more if you're studying in London), so check it out.
Jenn.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cll_ws)
You can use this calculator to find out roughly what you'll get.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If your household income is £42000+ then you won't get any maintenance grant. But everybody is eligible for the tuition fee and maintenance loans.

I think the amount you get for a maintenance loan is still somewhat dependent on household income, but everybody regardless of income gets the minimum amount which I think is £3,600 per year. Depending on income though you could get anything up to £5555 (or more if you're studying in London), so check it out.

Thank you very much. As long as I'm eligible for a tuition fee student loan, it's fine.

Ohhh... EU Students cannot apply for "a maintenance loan", anyway.

Name:  student finance.png
Views: 590
Size:  9.3 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (7)
46.67%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (3)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (1)
6.67%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
20%

Watched Threads