The Student Room Group

PE in school - loved it or hated it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by je t'aime
I hated it with a passion.

The sad thing was that outside school I did a lot of dance and regularly swam and loves being active, it was the PE TEACHERS I hated! Man, they were a horrible lot- all manly women that grunted and wore awfully short shorts that showed off massive chunky legs. Their attitude towards people who were pretty poor at sport was appalling too, I don't even know how they got away with it.

Made my year when the head of PE, the meanest, scariest one had to move to Australia suddenly as her husband was done for fraud...or so the story goes!

I had a Canadian PE teacher who got sent back to Canada because she apparently revoked her visa!
Reply 41
Hated all team games, because I hated pretty much everyone at school and I didn't have a clue what any of the rules were. Probably the worst was hockey, URGH.

I loved athletics, gymnastics, circuits, dance... I was actually pretty good at those. And anything where I could work with my friends, such as tennis.
Reply 42
Original post by foxes-are-ginger
I hated the way the PE teachers wore thick jogging bottoms, a coat(sporty coat) and a sweatshirt and thick socks in the winter and we all had to wear tiny shorts and tshirts (hoodies were BANNED because they could potentially disrupt your vision).
My lips went blue on occasion in PE... b*stards.

Saying that, I enjoyed it - so long as it wasn't running or THE BLEEP TEST : (

Oh god, I bloody hated the Bleep Test... apparently the Marines use the Bleep Test!
Oh, I forgot the bleep test incident...

Our head of year was a PE teacher, who decided that our health needed to be better - not a bad intention. However, she equated being unfit with being heavy, and fit with being light. Her decision was to put the ten heaviest people in a team with the ten lightest people (a group with just so happened :rolleyes: to include her favourite athletes in the year) to basically show them up as how unfit they were as they took the bleep test.

Now, I am built somewhat like a vehicle. I am heavy, I freely admit. However, I'm also (and always have been) tall and wide - wide shoulders, broad chest, etc - so you would perhaps expect me to be heavier than average. If I wasn't, I would look and be unhealthily thin.

As I discussed above, I played quite physically demanding sports at high standards, so I knew I wasn't unfit. However, because my general performance in PE was dire and I never discussed anything about my personal activities with her, she didn't realise this and lumped me in with the ten heaviest (unfittest) people. Instead of arguing about it, I went along with it. It was hilarious to watch her face as I thrashed all of her favourite athletes on the bleep test. :rofl:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
I enjoyed PE at school. Although it was more 'Physical Activity' rather than 'Physical Education', because we never learnt anything during the lessons. We were never taught any rules of games/sport, never taught about ways of keeping fit or avoiding injuries: it was always "right, grab a racket and off you go", or "going to run 1km today... off you trot".

In the final years of school we did get to choose which sports to partake in though, which is why I enjoyed it so much.
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
I wasnt fat or unfit, nor was i a nerd.

SO yes, it was pretty good.

What an ******* comment to suggest that fat, unfit or nerdy people wouldn't like it.

I disliked it and I was a very popular pupil in my year group.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 46
I thought it was a joke. My parents would write me excuse notes on demand so i probably skived 1 in every 5 lessons i reckon.
The downside of The Bleep Test Incident is it turned PE into a bit of a war at times - I created problems because I've obviously proven that I could theoretically be good, but in reality I never could be arsed unless it was to humiliate them at my will - and I took advantage of the excitement because school was generally boring and matching their collective plans against my own mind created something, even though it didn't really exist. There wasn't really a battle, they weren't the enemy.

For example, there was once a race that was plain to see was engineered to ensure the best athletes won, because they had been pitted against the worst athletes. I went all out and won it, not because I cared about getting first place, but purely because I wanted to demonstrate that the teachers did not have control.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by alexmagpie
Hated it. The PE staff were notorious for having favourites - the people on the sports teams even had different uniforms to wear in lessons and if you didn't, you could forget it.

What's wrong with that? At my school people who do sport to a high standard get to wear a blazer with special trim and boys get a tie and girls get a neckerchief, it sets a high achievable standard for everybody else and is an aspiration to the younger pupils.
Reply 49
I didn't much enjoy it in the first few years, but really loved it in the later ones. It was the only subject that I wasn't being stressed about GCSEs for, so it made a nice break.

At this point we also got more freedom over what we wanted to do, there were three groups, girls in the gym doing exercise videos and trampolining, boys playing mostly football, or mixed playing Volleyball, Hockey etc. I always used to go mixed cause exercise videos sound like hell.

I really miss it now, I love playing team sports, although I don't feel good enough to join an adult one.
I hated it up until Year 10, when me and my friends were put in a group that the teachers had clearly looked at and said: "Well, none of them are desperately obese, so we're not abusing them by not making them exercise. They're just lazy. Let's just leave them to it."
They'd stick us in the fitness suite for an hour a week, and we'd just sit on the weights machines and chat.
Reply 51
Original post by acw151
I had a Canadian PE teacher who got sent back to Canada because she apparently revoked her visa!

Ahh they're a nasty breed! Saying that we didn't help- I remember one girl got so stroppy about cross county she went and sat cross legged on the changing room floor in protest and they left her there for the whole afternoon! Wish I'd done that...
Loved it up until Year 9. I was on the school's football and hockey teams, represented the county for cross-country and actually loved doing the bleep test / copper run.
Then in Year 10 I knackered my knees when playing football, started smoking and got unfit, so I hated it from then on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
I like P:colone: when it's either Tennis, football, badminton and especially rugby but I really hate doing gymnastics!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ocassus
What's wrong with that? At my school people who do sport to a high standard get to wear a blazer with special trim and boys get a tie and girls get a neckerchief, it sets a high achievable standard for everybody else and is an aspiration to the younger pupils.

There's nothing wrong with it in principle - but the way it was used by the teachers seemed very unfair - those of us in the ordinary PE kits were never picked to do anything and often it seemed like we were just ignored.
Reply 55
Loved it. Complete doss lesson, so it was just a couple hours off :smile:
I hated hated hateddddd it especially in primary school! but the one thing I hated more than p.e was sports day! I'd do everything to try to avoid it. I hated being forced to participate in something I would never win in.
it did get better in secondary school though. I loved swimming and netball :biggrin:
if it was football, I was always happy to do that PE lesson, but,

**** cross country
**** "orienteering"
**** shotputt
**** high jump
**** long jump
**** rounders
**** hockey
**** this other one I can't remember the name of now, but it involved some bull**** form of "dance" or something.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cl_steele
when i was at private school i quite liked it, we did all sorts of sports from football to Hockey to Rugby and rowing whilst when i went to the state school ... well it involved playing catch more or less ... completely put me off it for life.

Sorry the taxpayer can't stump up for your rowing lessons. Welcome to the real world, champ.
I hated P.E. more than anything. I skipped it a lot. Cross country? Write music in the pub time, more like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending