The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ziziii
i don't know if this is an everyday issue, but here it goes.

this morning, i woke up in a hospital bed. yepp, alcohol poisoning. in short, i went to a party last night, got drunk out of my mind and apparently passed out; the others, from what i've understood, called an ambulance, with which i was taken to a hospital.

the thing is, i was supposed to be going to a music festival per train with my closest friend today, who also took me to this party. and at the moment, i have no idea what to think of this. i honestly don't think it's much of a deal, but is there something i should do? some kind of drunk etiquette? :tongue: i do plan to call my friend later and apologize for letting him down. i'm usually okay with drinking, but this was the first time i've really pushed it too far.

on a related note, my mother thinks confiscating my phone for a while is a good idea. i'm seventeen, and rational enough to understand that while a punishment may help me to come to terms with what i've done, it certainly does not solve any underlying 'issue' or alter my fundamental essence as a person. i'm young, and i'm going to party, and maybe i overdid it this time but surely a punishment is unnecessary?

has anyone gone through any similar experiences, and how did you handle it? thanks! :smile: x

You seem pretty chill for someone who was very vunerable last night. How stupid are you to get that pissed, I mean really? This could have ended so badly, and taking your mobile phone is hardly a punishment. You've just shown that you can't handle your drink, so I wouldn't let you out late again for a very long time. And yeah, good job wasting taxpayers money, if we had fewer drunkards wasting hospital funds we'd be able to allocate more money to people who really need it. Shameful :sigh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by ziziii
i don't know if this is an everyday issue, but here it goes.

this morning, i woke up in a hospital bed. yepp, alcohol poisoning. in short, i went to a party last night, got drunk out of my mind and apparently passed out; the others, from what i've understood, called an ambulance, with which i was taken to a hospital.

the thing is, i was supposed to be going to a music festival per train with my closest friend today, who also took me to this party. and at the moment, i have no idea what to think of this. i honestly don't think it's much of a deal, but is there something i should do? some kind of drunk etiquette? :tongue: i do plan to call my friend later and apologize for letting him down. i'm usually okay with drinking, but this was the first time i've really pushed it too far.

on a related note, my mother thinks confiscating my phone for a while is a good idea. i'm seventeen, and rational enough to understand that while a punishment may help me to come to terms with what i've done, it certainly does not solve any underlying 'issue' or alter my fundamental essence as a person. i'm young, and i'm going to party, and maybe i overdid it this time but surely a punishment is unnecessary?

has anyone gone through any similar experiences, and how did you handle it? thanks! :smile: x

You could have been spiked
Original post by Sophyla
Why do you do this to me? :'(

I don't know :frown:
Reply 63
Original post by Architecture-er
I don't know :frown:

You so mean!
Original post by A level Az
You seem pretty chill for someone who was very vunerable last night. How stupid are you to get that pissed, I mean really? This could have ended so badly, and taking your mobile phone is hardly a punishment. You've just shown that you can't handle your drink, so I wouldn't let you out late again for a very long time. And yeah, good job wasting taxpayers money, if we had fewer drunkards wasting hospital funds we'd be able to allocate more money to people who really need it. Shameful :sigh:
don't you dare call me stupid. i've been privately educated for twelve years, and am landing a spot at UCL for undergraduate law studies. that should be enough academic proof. socially, i front a band that has been on the cover of a local music mag, and have captained my local U-18 side for two years since the age of sixteen. i've dated and 'had' enough girls to be arrogant about it, and i won't hesitate to mention what a bright young lad i am. i can most definitely 'handle [my] drink', as i've been going out partying for a bit over two years now and have never taken it to this level. there were many factors involved, including (but not limited to) extreme accumulated fatigue, little to no food throughout the day, and a slightly unusual range and total amount of alcohol drinks consumed (normally, i wouldn't have gone for things like rum for example). i'm not a 'drunkard', and in fact, as bitter as this may be to you, i will still (and probably am atm) more socially valuable in a conventional sense. not that i adopt a particularly conformist attitude towards the concept of the individual, but because you have the daftness to label me a 'drunkard' based on one mistake in an otherwise flourishing life. p.s., don't even bring up the taxpayer nonsense, i live in Germany where alcohol poisoning is about as common as a paper cut injury. it doesn't affect you directly, and i don't see why you would bring that up. in any case, thanks for the read.

Original post by ltlukelt
I fail to see how willingly ingesting a poison is an experience.
that's just your opinion though, am i right? while alcohol may be a 'poison' of sorts, many people find pleasure in its effects as a legal drug, myself included. who are you to tell me when to drink what? :s-smilie: seriously, get off your computer and have some fun. if that's photography for you, go for it. i love photography too. if it's sports, go for it. i play multiple sports. if it's literature, then keep trying new books! i love reading and writing too, and poetry is a passion. i don't know what your point is, but drinking is just one of hundreds of things i find pleasure in in life, and i don't think you are anyone to tell me to stop.

Original post by Miss.V
You could have been spiked
i don't think so, but thanks for the suggestion. the doctors would probably have pointed out something so strange, but all i got was a blood alcohol content in the form of a percentage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by ziziii
don't you dare call me stupid. i've been privately educated for twelve years, and am landing a spot at UCL for undergraduate law studies. that should be enough academic proof. socially, i front a band that has been on the cover of a local music mag, and have captained my local U-18 side for two years since the age of sixteen. i've dated and 'had' enough girls to be arrogant about it, and i won't hesitate to mention what a bright young lad i am. i can most definitely 'handle [my] drink', as i've been going out partying for a bit over two years now and have never taken it to this level. there were many factors involved, including (but not limited to) extreme accumulated fatigue, little to no food throughout the day, and a slightly unusual range and total amount of alcohol drinks consumed (normally, i wouldn't have gone for things like rum for example). i'm not a 'drunkard', and in fact, as bitter as this may be to you, i will still (and probably am atm) more socially valuable in a conventional sense. not that i adopt a particularly conformist attitude towards the concept of the individual, but because you have the daftness to label me a 'drunkard' based on one mistake in an otherwise flourishing life. p.s., don't even bring up the taxpayer nonsense, i live in Germany where alcohol poisoning is about as common as a paper cut injury. it doesn't affect you directly, and i don't see why you would bring that up. in any case, thanks for the read.

that's just your opinion though, am i right? while alcohol may be a 'poison' of sorts, many people find pleasure in its effects as a legal drug, myself included. who are you to tell me when to drink what? :s-smilie: seriously, get off your computer and have some fun. if that's photography for you, go for it. i love photography too. if it's sports, go for it. i play multiple sports. if it's literature, then keep trying new books! i love reading and writing too, and poetry is a passion. i don't know what your point is, but drinking is just one of hundreds of things i find pleasure in in life, and i don't think you are anyone to tell me to stop.

i don't think so, but thanks for the suggestion. the doctors would probably have pointed out something so strange, but all i got was a blood alcohol content in the form of a percentage.

Ah you have weird times I guess.
I went to see kings of Leon but managed not to see them due to having three drinks and passing out. It's odd!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 66
Original post by ziziii
don't you dare call me stupid. i've been privately educated for twelve years, and am landing a spot at UCL for undergraduate law studies. that should be enough academic proof. socially, i front a band that has been on the cover of a local music mag, and have captained my local U-18 side for two years since the age of sixteen. i've dated and 'had' enough girls to be arrogant about it, and i won't hesitate to mention what a bright young lad i am.

If it wasn't for the booze story, this statement would have been enough to finish me off :rofl:
Reply 67
Original post by ziziii

You forgot 'modest' and 'down to earth'.
Original post by Tyraell
You forgot 'modest' and 'down to earth'.
yepp, but i'm not and i know it. :tongue:
but hey, variety is what makes us beautiful. and i'll let criticism come my way, but only because love comes my way too. we all need to have a balance, right?
Original post by Miss.V
Ah you have weird times I guess.
I went to see kings of Leon but managed not to see them due to having three drinks and passing out. It's odd!
ohhh that's such a shame! :frown: but now i know how you feel, hahah. i also missed a few bands i would've liked to see, but hey it is what it is!

Original post by Sir Fox
If it wasn't for the booze story, this statement would have been enough to finish me off :rofl:
wow, it's you again! i'll be honest, i'm genuinely concerned now. what exactly it is that you want me to say? you know full well that i'm probably not going to yield by agreeing that it was an experience i should be 'ashamed' of, and i similarly understand that you're not going to yield by sympathizing with my youthful outlook. we're quite clearly at a standstill, and yet you insist upon returning to quote my statements.

instead of laughing it off as a fellow German citizen (i'm assuming things now, i know. but i couldn't miss the flag) and maybe contributing an anecdote with a similar event that happened to someone you know or wishing me well and simply reminding me that i should have watched out, you're actively seeking to engage in an argument with no gains on either end. have i said anything wrong?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by ziziii
wow, it's you again! i'll be honest, i'm genuinely concerned now. what exactly it is that you want me to say? you know full well that i'm probably not going to yield by agreeing that it was an experience i should be 'ashamed' of, and i similarly understand that you're not going to yield by sympathizing with my youthful outlook. we're quite clearly at a standstill, and yet you insist upon returning to quote my statements.

instead of laughing it off as a fellow German citizen (i'm assuming things now, i know. but i couldn't miss the flag) and maybe contributing an anecdote with a similar event that happened to someone you know or wishing me well and simply reminding me that i should have watched out, you're actively seeking to engage in an argument with no gains on either end. have i said anything wrong?

My first comment was about your hospital stay. I don't mind if people our age have one over the eight, I mean we're only young once, but seriously - the hospital? Just read a report that your case probably was about 1,400€ the health care system had to pay. Your story doesn't make me see you as some kind of evil, but I still find it quite stupid.

My second comment was about your statement - honestly, who cares about you being privately educated? Since when is that a sign of intelligence? Being accepted into UCL doesn't make you a genius either (yet I have to admit that you can't be utterly stupid overall), in fact a person can be quite intelligent and stupid at the same time. Your comment was just hopelessly arrogant.

I mean, via this thread you have received enough reactions in order to realise that I'm not the only one holding this opinion :wink: You just seem to have a hugely inflated ego.

Btw, I know a girl who graduated with an Abitur of 1,3 whilst everyone knew that she wasn't really intelligent but spend her days revising for hours. In class 8 Geography she once stated something along the lines of "Only half of China's population is literate, I just bothered to convert that into percentage, that's almost exatly 43,5%." Stolz wie Oscar ...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ziziii
don't you dare call me stupid. i've been privately educated for twelve years, and am landing a spot at UCL for undergraduate law studies. that should be enough academic proof.

You're stupid. And UCL lol. I am unimpressed. Get your head out of your ass.

socially, i front a band that has been on the cover of a local music mag, and have captained my local U-18 side for two years since the age of sixteen. i've dated and 'had' enough girls to be arrogant about it, and i won't hesitate to mention what a bright young lad i am.

The fact you feel the need to prove yourself to me shows that you're insecure as hell. I honestly don't give a **** about your "achievements", and guess what? If you were bright you'd have been at that festival today instead of taking up hospital space. Fool.

i can most definitely 'handle [my] drink'

Evidently not.

as i've been going out partying for a bit over two years now and have never taken it to this level. there were many factors involved, including (but not limited to) extreme accumulated fatigue, little to no food throughout the day, and a slightly unusual range and total amount of alcohol drinks consumed (normally, i wouldn't have gone for things like rum for example).

Spare me the bull**** sobstory. You can't handle your drink, fact.

i'm not a 'drunkard', and in fact, as bitter as this may be to you, i will still (and probably am atm) more socially valuable in a conventional sense. not that i adopt a particularly conformist attitude towards the concept of the individual, but because you have the daftness to label me a 'drunkard' based on one mistake in an otherwise flourishing life.

Socially valuable? I couldn't care less, at least I don't have to be admitted to hospital because of drinking a bit too much. And what, a flouishing life? Kid, there are way more successful people around and you're nowhere near their level, you're average at best judging by your prose and evident stupidity.

p.s., don't even bring up the taxpayer nonsense, i live in Germany where alcohol poisoning is about as common as a paper cut injury. it doesn't affect you directly, and i don't see why you would bring that up.

I like how you label it alcohol poisoning when it's actually just being a dumbass by drinking too much. And things don't have to affect me directly for me to care about them, if people only cared about things that affected them directly then we wouldn't get anything done. Pfft.

in any case, thanks for the read.

Yeah, thanks for the read, it was a good laugh as I've never seen someone so full of themselves after being put into hospital like a child.

Quote me all you like, I won't bother reading your drivel any further. And feel free to neg me, I'm building them up :lol:

I win, bye.
Original post by A level Az
You're stupid. And UCL lol. I am unimpressed. Get your head out of your ass.

The fact you feel the need to prove yourself to me shows that you're insecure as hell. I honestly don't give a **** about your "achievements", and guess what? If you were bright you'd have been at that festival today instead of taking up hospital space. Fool.

Evidently not.

Spare me the bull**** sobstory. You can't handle your drink, fact.

Socially valuable? I couldn't care less, at least I don't have to be admitted to hospital because of drinking a bit too much. And what, a flouishing life? Kid, there are way more successful people around and you're nowhere near their level, you're average at best judging by your prose and evident stupidity.

I like how you label it alcohol poisoning when it's actually just being a dumbass by drinking too much. And things don't have to affect me directly for me to care about them, if people only cared about things that affected them directly then we wouldn't get anything done. Pfft.

Yeah, thanks for the read, it was a good laugh as I've never seen someone so full of themselves after being put into hospital like a child.

Quote me all you like, I won't bother reading your drivel any further. And feel free to neg me, I'm building them up :lol:

I win, bye.
wow, someone's ma didn't love them enough! i'm a bit short on time, so i can't do all the funky font work you did. and don't worry, i don't give a **** about negs either.

first of all, you can sit behind a screen calling people 'stupid', it's honestly rather pathetic to say the least. and as far as insecurities go, everyone has their achievements, so i was mentioning some of mine to prove that words such as 'stupid' or 'idiot' were over the top and dismissive, especially considering i'm just a seventeen year old that had a few drinks too many. you can talk, i'll just have fun. and i do understand that this arguably hedonistic approach is one i'm likely to change in the years to come, but just so we're clear; i don't intend to change it for the time being, regardless of what someone desperately arguing with people on an online forum tells me. :rolleyes:

'average at best'? we don't know each other, so i'm not going to judge. but similarly, i think it would be appropriate for you to refrain from judging me either, because i beg to differ and neither of us will gain anything out of.

bull**** sobstory? i'm rather confused. what is it about partying that you find so sinister? did you have trouble getting laid as a teenager? :confused: i don't want to jump to conclusions here, but i don't see what part of what i said could be misinterpreted as simple 'bull****' jargon.

ahh but whatever, i have better things to do tbh. and i would like to assume you do too.

.. but do keep the jelly contained, fatty! :smile:
Original post by Sir Fox
My first comment was about your hospital stay. I don't mind if people our age have one over the eight, I mean we're only young once, but seriously - the hospital? Just read a report that your case probably was about 1,400€ the health care system had to pay. Your story doesn't make me see you as some kind of evil, but I still find it quite stupid.

My second comment was about your statement - honestly, who cares about you being privately educated? Since when is that a sign of intelligence? Being accepted into UCL doesn't make you a genius either (yet I have to admit that you can't be utterly stupid overall), in fact a person can be quite intelligent and stupid at the same time. Your comment was just hopelessly arrogant.

I mean, via this thread you have received enough reactions in order to realise that I'm not the only one holding this opinion :wink: You just seem to have a hugely inflated ego.

Btw, I know a girl who graduated with an Abitur of 1,3 whilst everyone knew that she wasn't really intelligent but spend her days revising for hours. In class 8 Geography she once stated something along the lines of "Only half of China's population is literate, I just bothered to convert that into percentage, that's almost exatly 43,5%." Stolz wie Oscar ...

i find it stupid too, and as do my friends. but thanks to them, i received the attention i required at the time, and we were able to laugh about the funnier and slightly grimier details of the incident tonight, of which i am grateful. perhaps it's the highschool environment i've grown up in, but i'm the seventh person in my year in the last two years to whom this has happened. that's not everyone, i know. but then again, not everyone would've made such a daft mistake i suppose! admittedly, what i did was 'quite stupid'.

what i want you to understand though, is that my point was not about the stupidity of waking up in a hospital. there is no arguing against that, but surely delving into personal criticism was a mistake we both made.

i chose to mention my academic achievements essentially with the sole purpose of indicating that i was not some 'thug', or highschool dropout with little guidance from my environment. the private education was a hint towards a relatively high family income, but it works out as we get taxed accordingly.

'hopelessly arrogant' with an 'inflated ego' may again be an overstatement. these are elements of one's personality that surface when they need to, and as my integrity as a person was being challenged here, i felt the need to bring up certain aspects of myself that may have aided in my ability to alter the general public's reception towards my incident. as opposed to being a highschool party dropout, i was merely trying to demonstrate that, like many others, i have enjoyed a relatively privileged upbringing and am talented in many ways. surely there was no need to dismiss me as 'stupid' or 'idiotic' for a simple mistake i made once in a lifetime. as opposed to trying to win strange green thumbs up on an online forum, perhaps we should focus on the sentimental value of our comments?
Reply 73
Original post by ziziii
i find it stupid too, and as do my friends. but thanks to them, i received the attention i required at the time, and we were able to laugh about the funnier and slightly grimier details of the incident tonight, of which i am grateful. perhaps it's the highschool environment i've grown up in, but i'm the seventh person in my year in the last two years to whom this has happened. that's not everyone, i know. but then again, not everyone would've made such a daft mistake i suppose! admittedly, what i did was 'quite stupid'.

what i want you to understand though, is that my point was not about the stupidity of waking up in a hospital. there is no arguing against that, but surely delving into personal criticism was a mistake we both made.

i chose to mention my academic achievements essentially with the sole purpose of indicating that i was not some 'thug', or highschool dropout with little guidance from my environment. the private education was a hint towards a relatively high family income, but it works out as we get taxed accordingly.

'hopelessly arrogant' with an 'inflated ego' may again be an overstatement. these are elements of one's personality that surface when they need to, and as my integrity as a person was being challenged here, i felt the need to bring up certain aspects of myself that may have aided in my ability to alter the general public's reception towards my incident. as opposed to being a highschool party dropout, i was merely trying to demonstrate that, like many others, i have enjoyed a relatively privileged upbringing and am talented in many ways. surely there was no need to dismiss me as 'stupid' or 'idiotic' for a simple mistake i made once in a lifetime. as opposed to trying to win strange green thumbs up on an online forum, perhaps we should focus on the sentimental value of our comments?

If that was your goal the way you presented your achievements hasn't been that well thought out as instead of achieving the desired result you drew a lot more criticism :biggrin:

I'll admit, "inflated ego" and "hopelessly arrogant" might have been a little bit rough, but that was basically the way you came across. There is a difference between something along the lines of "As I am off to UCL this autumn and did quite well at school I don't really consider myself 'stupid'." and the way you said it: "don't you dare call me stupid." :rolleyes: Der Ton macht die Musik ...

Ich schätze mal statt uns hier über Nichtigkeiten gegenseitig auseinander zu nehmen könnten wir's auch einfach dabei belassen :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending