Turn on thread page Beta

What shall I do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi people, I need some help:

I wanted to go to Cambridge or LSE, to study economics and then go into investment banking. Unfortunately both Cambridge and LSE have rejected me, so my offers are:

UCL: AAA
    Warwick:AAB
    York:ABB

I can either:

- Go to uni this year, accept either UCL or Warwick as a firm
    - Decline all offers and reapply next year, and have another stab At Oxbridge/ LSE.
    - Decline all offers and reapply next year to do mechanical engineering at Imperial/Cam. This is much easier to get into than economics, and if I hadn't decided to study economics I would have studied engineering.

GCSEs: 2A*(Maths, Biology) 8As.
    As: AAAA Maths, Physics, Economics, Biology
    A2: Prediced AAA for Maths, Physics, Economics and A in AS F. Maths.

I don't know what my chances are of reapplying and getting into LSE/Oxbridge, will having my final A Level results help?

Am I going to be able to get into investment banking without going to oxbridge/LSE?

If I do accept my offers - is warwick or UCL more favourable with employers.

All help appreciated - Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)

I wanted to go to Cambridge or LSE, to study economics and then go into investment banking. Unfortunately both Cambridge and LSE have rejected me, so my offers are:

I can either:

- Decline all offers and reapply next year, and have another stab At Oxbridge/ LSE.
    - Decline all offers and reapply next year to do mechanical engineering at Imperial/Cam. This is much easier to get into than economics, and if I hadn't decided to study economics I would have studied engineering.

I don't know what my chances are of reapplying and getting into LSE/Oxbridge, will having my final A Level results help?

Am I going to be able to get into investment banking without going to oxbridge/LSE?

Cambridge and LSE arent the end of the world, if you did reject all offers and reapplied next year you still may not get in, and it would have wasted a year. Warwick and York (and i suppose uCL!) all have really good reps, and with the right attitude you will go far.

ReputationRep:
    I think the problem is that if you don't get LSE/Cambridge next year (and remember there will be more applications due to top up fees in the year after), then will UCL or Warwick (or York) re-accept you after accepting you once?. To be Honest i am doubtful. However if you aren't keen on these and have other choices then it doesn't matter although they are certainly VERY good for econ. Btw did you look at your cambridge feedback form? this may help when considering reapplying.
    They are both unis good enough for IBs I reckon, and I suppose it depends on whether you like the city/country more. I suspect many people will say take UCL because it has a great deal of history, but warwick is known for good employment links.
    About reapplying for another subject...well you applied for what I would imagine is your strongest subject (econ) right>? If so, I think you're less likely to get into oxbridge for your second subject than your first. plus you will have to do all the relevant wk experience, reading up etc quite quickly. For Imperial, well they're hot on international students anyway and I imagine they'll be able to spot a "second" subject a mile off! Don't really know though, only choose engineering if you love it more than econ, or it will be obvious in interviews where your interests lie.
    Anyways hope this helps. If you haven't already, as I've said before, check your cambridge feedback form!

ReputationRep:
    thank you both of you

The thing with engineering is I always thought I'd go and do a science degree till last year, when I discovered economics was much easier compared to physics (maybe that's to do with my teacher not setting much hw).

But what scares me about engineering is I have no idea how hard a degree in it is. Anyone give me a clue on this? I find maths easy, and I don't struggle with physics (exception for the particle physics synoptic - they're a b*t*h).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Cambridge and LSE arent the end of the world, if you did reject all offers and reapplied next year you still may not get in, and it would have wasted a year. Warwick and York (and i suppose uCL!) all have really good reps, and with the right attitude you will go far.
    Warwick has a very good reputation and the other two are fine. You might be better off doing a bachelor's now and then an MSc rather than a gap year and risk missing out. Investment banking is hugely competitive - a postgrad qualification from a good uni with a solid BSc/BA will stand you in better stead than a year off and a BSc.

ReputationRep:

I can either:

dont take a year out - it is highly likely that cambridge and lse may reject you again, then it is one year wasted/. I am saying this because you have got TOP class universities such as UCL and Warkwick. I dont understand why people say that UCL is not as good as york..etc. UCL is better than york and possibly warwick too for Economics. Being in London also helps you to work in investment banks later. And yes ofcourse top investment banks employ people from UCL and Warwick, loads of people fromm UCL and Warwick go there. I would say avoid york personally. My advice is go to UCL!

ReputationRep:

I can either:

I was also rejected for Straight Economics at the LSE (rejected yesterday - you?).Like you I really wanted to go there and later go into an investment banking type career. However its not the end of the world if you dont get into one of the 'elite' universities.The way i see it is that if you have enough about you anything is possible - you definitly seem intelligent enough.Id say it i still possible to follow ur aspirations to be an investment banker with a degree from either UCL or University of Warwick which are both very very good institutions.If Economics is what you really want to do - go for it!(you seem a bit undecided about Mechanical Engineering).I strongly advise against doing something you wont enjoy as the 3/4 years at uni are supposed to be the most enjoyable of you life.I would personally go for UCL becuase its in London - financial capital of Europe, if not the world.Also, its excellent for an active social life.To me Warwick seems a bit secluded - in the middle of nowhere - but nearby areas such as Leamington are fantastic.However theres not much between them in terms of rep, although UCL has been distinguished for longer.

Sukh.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Bosslady, reject great universities like Warwick and UCL (well york isn;t one of my personal favourites), and they will almost certainly reject you the next time round.
    You are truly playing a dangerous game.
    I prefer Warwick, though i agree with Gnostic that UCL is better, go to either of these universities and get a 1st then you will have a good chance.
    However, I must say that becoming an Investment banker is terribly difficult. Graduating with a good degree, you will certainly have a fair chance at a job within the bank (Trading is cool and you make just as much money, or even Equity Research). But if you go to any Bank for an interview, you will certainly will be surrounded by 'the brains of Britain', most others who don't attend oxbridge will come from places like Essec (top French uni), Bocconi (Italy), or presidents of various societies from the other top uk universities.
    Getting rejected by Oxbridge and LSE is NOT the end of the world, getting into Warwick and UCL is the beginning of a beautiful future paved with ca$h, unless you'd rather go down the UN or World Bank route, rewarding but the huge returns come later.

Oh yeh, if you want to be a banker, being bilingual will enhance your chances, i once read that an increasing percentage of IB intake were from the continent (those guys are very often multi-lingual) and therefore an asset immediately.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    But if you go to any Bank for an interview, you will certainly will be surrounded by 'the brains of Britain',
    I'm sorry but I fail to see why the 'brains of Britain' would want to go into investment banking. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I'm sorry but I fail to see why the 'brains of Britain' would want to go into investment banking. :confused:

beacause many people go into investment banking as it is very well paid esp at the top banks, and many people are interested in it. Yes being bilingual can help HUGELY. I am bilingual myself Although ofcourse it takes a lot of time to be a bilingual, and getting an A in french/german doesnt make you bilingual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero101)
    ur lucky man that u got ucl warwick
    im also doin economics - rejected from ox

didnt apply ucl, but im waitin 4 warwick and i will def go there if i get an offer. i have york abb but its not that amazing

when did u get warwick
    I got warwick on the 15th of jan.

To everyone who's replied - thank you, your advice was very helpful I'm leaning towards UCL at the moment because I'm a city girl, and I love London.

Sukh_B: I got rejected yesterday, 9.30 pm of all the ridiculous times. Are you heading for UCL as well then?

theEconomist - I am bloody jealous of you, you're going to Cambridge!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.