Caffeine before an exam? Watch

monica95
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on your sensitivity to it and how much you drink. But, you personally should know your own effects to it. I'm pretty sensitive to it, so I only drink 1 cup and that wakes me up and makes me focus, especially since usually I wake up earlier on exam days to cram. But drinking say, 2 cups as well as my tiredness can make me a bit hysterical and I laugh over nothing and can make my hands a bit shaky. If you have an abnormally fast heart beat anyway (like I do), the coffee will increase your heart rate even more and you're breathing can get a bit weird as you can get (I think it's called) heart palpitations, which has happened to me quite a bit. But it's nothing major, it just increases your nervousness in the exam. Take 'rescue remedy' for that :3
jamesvancollier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It might encourage the arrival of the brown rain if you haven't had sufficient food beforehand
Arcanine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I take 3 scoops of Jack3d before exams to dat tingle and focus.
Cath-ay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I definitely wouldn't advise this if you're not a regular caffeine drinker. I drank tea before an EMPA exam (I was tired) and ended up shaking like a leaf in the wind for the duration of the exam! I don't know how well/bad I've done yet but I don't plan on doing that again o.o
goku12345
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
smoke a fag... nicotine helps you concentrate
I smell like maths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i wouldn't recommend a red bull, maybe a weak coffee would be good. a single shot would wake you up and you wouldn't 'crash' with that amount.

make sure you eat something before an exam though! Bananas are good
stupefy!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JustCharley)
I never take pro plus or anything beforehand because I'm scared I'll crash and burn half way through. Also when I'm all hyped up I don't remember stuff clearly so I'm more likely to write really crappy essays.

A good nights sleep before the exam is an old trick but it is a really good idea. Also, I know you're a boy, but just to any other girls reading this ... Don't go into the exam hall in like your standard no make up, sack like clothes and your hair all piled on top of your head. I find if I get dressed properly like I would for a normal college day, I concentrate SO MUCH better and think more calmly and logically and less ohmygod-major-panic-i-desperately-want-to-get-into-Leeds kind of way :P

I always do this for revising at home too. Get properly dressed. Lazying around in PJs can be done when there isn't work to do :P
I absolutely agree with this! I always find I can concentrate better during exams / even revision if I'm dressed smartly and look neat (no greasy hair / unwashed face or anything!).. I'm not entirely sure why?! But I'm glad you agree!
sundogs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A really good nights sleep the night before is much better. I normally aim to stop revising for an exam about 5pm the night before, then it's dinner, bath, chill time and bed by about 9.30pm latest so I know I'll drift off to sleep an hour or so after this. Caffeine is fine if it's in low doses like a cup of tea or maaybe a coffee but anymore and i get so jittery. I had a red bull before my English gcse and i felt terrible.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
TH3ORY
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Top Banana)
I wouldnt recommend it, the caffeine may give you a boost at the start, but soon wears off, making it more difficult to concentrate. Caffeine is also a diuretic, meaning it is more likely you will need the toilet during the exam!
what would you recommend then ??
Moiraclaire
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know if it makes that much difference, but I usually take 2 caffeine pills before exams nowadays, when I was younger I would always have redbull or lucozade, but I find caffeine pills take a lkot less effort to consume :L

I don't think I ever 'crash' after having caffeine :L Or any of the other symptoms, I get fidgety and more awake than I would otherwise be.
harufi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I always have a cup of coffee straight before I go into an exam, I'm sensitive to it, and as soon as it kicks in I feel like I can really concentrate and read the question properly. Lasts for a couple of hours with me.
Top Banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TH3ORY)
what would you recommend then ??
Bottled water, always.
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As others have said, depends on whether you usually drink it or not.

I can't deal without my morning coffee, so you won't get me doing an exam if I've not had my caffeine fix; however, some of my friends buzz off the walls and then crash after half an hour if they drink coffee, so it'd be silly for them to do the same.
Leighthesim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i have had coffee almost every morning since i was about 9 or 10, so i used to have my normal morning one then stick to water, but im not that sensitive to coffee, if i am happy though it sends me off the rails, fine at work, but would not be good in exams. Saying that i did a 54 hour week at work the week before my a2 exams, and i wouldn't recommend that.
Helloworld_95
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you drink coffee or tea every day then going for the bigger mug before the exam would be fine but it probably wouldn't be a good idea if you don't drink caffeine often or if it was an energy drink, except maybe lucozade or powerade.
Monzystar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ColdKant)
Is it a good idea to consume caffeine before entering the exam hall?
What are your experiences with caffeine and sitting an actual exam?
Does it help? Did you end up doing well in the exam? Or worse?
It's hard to know about its effectiveness when there are so many myths regarding it.

(Sorry if there already is a thread on this, couldn't find one exactly related to caffeine and sitting the actual exam)
you want to know whats better than caffeine? eating a banana before exam. this will boost your energy and it will last you long compared to other products plus its natural. good luck on your exam
Solivagant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need some calcium to help your memory as a lack of it causes a buildup on synapses in your brain. Also, I sometimes take Dextro Energy tablets in a morning to perk me up and keep me concentrated.
katetaylor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I recommend Porridge with Raspberries on the morning before an exam - slow burning energy and enough natural sugar to keep you energised. Also, can of coke about 15 minutes before you go in - gives you enough time to pee before you set off!
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
On the whole I'd go with no.

However, it also depends how long the exam is. Mine are typically 3 hours, so I'd never eat chocolate / drink coffee beforehand because I get a massive insulin spike / post-caffeine slump half way through. For a 45 minute exam, if you're used to caffeine and don't take too much it's probably ok just to kick-start your brain.

I second bananas!
pshewitt1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ColdKant)
Is it a good idea to consume caffeine before entering the exam hall?
What are your experiences with caffeine and sitting an actual exam?
Does it help? Did you end up doing well in the exam? Or worse?
It's hard to know about its effectiveness when there are so many myths regarding it.

(Sorry if there already is a thread on this, couldn't find one exactly related to caffeine and sitting the actual exam)

I've been drinking 2 cups of tea then drinking water during the exam, definitely note an improvement in performance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (518)
26.21%
The paper was reasonable (861)
43.57%
Not feeling great about that exam (388)
19.64%
It was TERRIBLE (209)
10.58%

Watched Threads