The Student Room Group

What motivates you to start studying?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by . .
Cringe.

Each to their own
Getting my heart set on a uni that I have no chance in hell of getting into.
Reply 42
Original post by Iron Man
Imagining my friends getting higher than me. We usually make bets

Lol, same!
Remembering that horrible feeling of being in an exam and having a mind-blank, realising you just don't know what you need to know. Then remembering the feeling of coming out of an exam that you're really confident about.

Also, thinking about how everyone else is working and I'm not and if I don't work I won't get into the university I want to. In addition to disappointment, there's the embarrassment of not achieving what I know I can achieve.
When my parents start pointing a gun to my head :afraid:

HELP ME!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Thinking about my reaction if I got amazing grades on results day.
Then realising that that is something attainable...I just have to revise.
Original post by YahRah
Thinking about my reaction if I got amazing grades on results day.
Then realising that that is something attainable...I just have to revise.

This. Only thing is I still can't bring myself to revise :angry:
The fear of failure combined with that dreaded feeling when you realise "****, I know nothing".
Reply 48
Thinking about how amazing my life can be when I get the grades I want. Absolutely undescribeable feeling.
Reply 49
Making my parents PROUD. That's it. Imagine the day you open your envelope and let your parents/friends know what you've got ..the world will be in YOUR hands.
Deadlines
Reply 51
Original post by TheUnderCOVER
This. Only thing is I still can't bring myself to revise :angry:

Ditto. I have an exam at 9am, I got home at 6pm and planned to revise all evening. I still haven't even opened my books, I swear it's some sort of psychological condition.
Reply 52
Being the first in my family to go actually go uni
Reply 53
The thought of panicking in the exam hall when I open the paper and realise I know **** all. I hate that feeling.

Other than that, nothing really. I don't have a pushy parent; my mum honestly couldn't care less if I failed, as long as I tried my hardest :smile: And I've sort of accepted my fate of going to a 'meh' university (unless I've done really well in my AS Levels, which is unlikely).
Reply 54
Original post by Ra Ra
And I've sort of accepted my fate of going to a 'meh' university (unless I've done really well in my AS Levels, which is unlikely).

Don't worry about the overall university reputation. The reputation of the course is more important, and there are some brilliant courses at "meh" universities :smile:

I only study under pressure, most of my work is coursework and I'm used to all-nighters so this is fine. With exams I'm motivated by wanting to hit a certain grade and I like understanding things, so all good!
Reply 55
Original post by barkyface
Don't worry about the overall university reputation. The reputation of the course is more important, and there are some brilliant courses at "meh" universities :smile:

I only study under pressure, most of my work is coursework and I'm used to all-nighters so this is fine. With exams I'm motivated by wanting to hit a certain grade and I like understanding things, so all good!

that's great work ethic! :smile:
I know its bad, and I do want my friends to do really well, but I HATE the idea of them doing better than me. Arghhhh bad person.
Original post by Lil08
As the title says, what motivates you to start studying?

Needing to meet my offer :-)
Reply 58
The fear of failing. Not getting into my firm university and letting my parents down.
I like getting full UMS. :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest