Turn on thread page Beta

japan robbing ideas from america? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    aye, tis like the person in my year who is a complete xenophobe and hates all nationalities except the english. then her mum told her she was half french
    How long did the counselling go on for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Was that bitterness I detect?
    erm, how and where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    erm, how and where?
    I think he was joking, lighten up!

ReputationRep:
    ongoing, she was still recovering from the fact that her pens were made in germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    I think he was joking, lighten up!
    i know, but i still dont see where i was bitter even for the banter to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    ongoing, she was still recovering from the fact that her pens were made in germany.
    Kraut pens? What will they think of next?

ReputationRep:
    Kraut pens? What will they think of next?
    nope. black swan. Im just waiting to tell her that the uniform she wears in school is from holland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i know, but i still dont see where i was bitter even for the banter to work.
    It could have been one of those, hard to explain but an example might help. When a guy says another guy is lucky for having that girlfriend, could be interpreted as jealousy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Scarlet)
    The Japanese are a robbing nation. A nation built on theft and deception. I would never trust anything made or manufactured by a sly Japanese.
    thats not really nice

ReputationRep:
    America is just jealous that Japan had managed to rebuild their country from ruins after the Second World War to become the second richest country in the world. Whenever their ego is threatened, even by the smallest things, they start all this propaganda and make the others look like the bad guys. America should realise that Japan has been in recession for the past decade so I dunno what the hell they are arguing about.

Watch out Britain, the USA will come for us next.

Miss Scarlet, even though I'm not Japanese myself, I feel totally insulted by your comments. It's not right to judge the Japanese as robbers, simply because your boyfriend happened to go for a Japanese girl instead of you. Wherever you are from, I'm sure there are more atrocious crimes being commited and it wouldn't be nice to call all of your people robbers, murderers etc....would it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    If Japan stole ideas and then proceeded to make billions, American would bomb the place.
    we would not! thats is such a low opinion of us i want to GRR *i will not say it, will not!*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    America is just jealous that Japan had managed to rebuild their country from ruins after the Second World War to become the second richest country in the world. Whenever their ego is threatened, even by the smallest things, they start all this propaganda and make the others look like the bad guys. America should realise that Japan has been in recession for the past decade so I dunno what the hell they are arguing about.

Watch out Britain, the USA will come for us next.
    That was very well said pal. *claps*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    That was very well said pal. *claps*
    oh yes, but ask yourself, who is the richest? i have never even felt a shred of jealousy torwards japan, in fact, i never even think about them. i have no animostity torwards japan, in fact i feel a bit sorry for them, having a recession and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    in fact i feel a bit sorry for them, having a recession and all.
    I don't know how great your economy is, but the dollar rose from $1.50 to the pound to almost $2 to the pound within the last few months. It's quite obvious someone is in need of exporting some goods. Not to mention your president scare-mongering civilians, and low confidence isn't a good thing in the market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I don't know how great your economy is, but the dollar rose from $1.50 to the pound to almost $2 to the pound within the last few months. It's quite obvious someone is in need of exporting some goods. Not to mention your president scare-mongering civilians, and low confidence isn't a good thing in the market.
    yes, there is that. president bush, as usual is trying to go about all the wrong ways to create jobs. he seems to think that a weaker dollar will help, but as i have tried to tell others, it is simply pulling the worlds economy out of balance.

for example: some parts of europe depend on tourism from america. it is now much more expensive for americans to travel to europe because of the weaker dollar, so the economy in europe suffers. not only that, but in america, it becomes more expensive to buy european products, and americans are forced to shop for cheaper goods. american companies revenues are boosted, and as a result, they build more factories......but not in america, because of free trade. so in the end, people lose their jobs in america, europe suffers, and poor children in asia are forced to do slave labor because our gov. has put no restrictions on wages, or treatment of employees in different countries.

ReputationRep:
    Mr brother a class in Japanese history last term, he told me some interesting things. Basically the history of modern Japan, that is, Japan after it's transition (which is protrayed in the last samurai), is about taking the best aspects of other countries and assimilating them. One interesting things about 'the last samurai' he said, was that in fact, the japanese officials portrayed as old men in the movie, were actually young people in their thirties. This was part of the reason Japan went through millenia of devlopement in a few decades, there was young people at the helm. Contrary to the movie, the emperor by this point was totally irrelevent and powerless.

As far as Japanese theft. It's not theft at all. What they do (or at least did a lot of in the 80's) is reverse engineering. This means taking an invention, and taking it apart to see how it's built so you can build one. The Japanese have a history of taking US inventions and making them better. Cars and electronics come to mind. While German cars may be slightly better (only the luxury models), Japanese cars last far longer, need less maintanance, and cost less to fix when they do. Far far better bang for buck. Reliability is also characteristic of japanese made things. Personally I think they are a remarkable people.

After the war, general McArthur wrote them up a post-war constitution. This consitiiton has remained largely intact, and to this day the Japanese are the only country in the world who's constitution makes it illegal for them to stockpile any kind of military resources for the purpose of offensive. This issue is being debated in their parliament today. When you can't spend money on military, you have a heck of a lot more capital to spend on other things, this is partly the reaons for their near-immediate economic recovery after the war. With a pledge of US protection, the Japanese donate money to support their allies instead of troups. Because of this whole history, the recently deployed small number of Japanese troups in Iraq (they do have a small defensive force) has raised quite a stir.

(Original post by bono)
    False.
    He is actually half right, the Japanese are reknowned for taking techonolgy, refining it, and then remarketing it as the next step. Or rather they were reknowned a few decades back. Since then the japanese businesses have blown the competition out of the water, and now are hubs of R&D
    It's hardly as if American's are creative genii now is it?
    J

(Original post by Intermittent)
    Mr brother a class in Japanese history last term, he told me some interesting things. Basically the history of modern Japan, that is, Japan after it's transition (which is protrayed in the last samurai), is about taking the best aspects of other countries and assimilating them. One interesting things about 'the last samurai' he said, was that in fact, the japanese officials portrayed as old men in the movie, were actually young people in their thirties. This was part of the reason Japan went through millenia of devlopement in a few decades, there was young people at the helm. Contrary to the movie, the emperor by this point was totally irrelevent and powerless.

As far as Japanese theft. It's not theft at all. What they do (or at least did a lot of in the 80's) is reverse engineering. This means taking an invention, and taking it apart to see how it's built so you can build one. The Japanese have a history of taking US inventions and making them better. Cars and electronics come to mind. While German cars may be slightly better (only the luxury models), Japanese cars last far longer, need less maintanance, and cost less to fix when they do. Far far better bang for buck. Reliability is also characteristic of japanese made things. Personally I think they are a remarkable people.

After the war, general McArthur wrote them up a post-war constitution. This consitiiton has remained largely intact, and to this day the Japanese are the only country in the world who's constitution makes it illegal for them to stockpile any kind of military resources for the purpose of offensive. This issue is being debated in their parliament today. When you can't spend money on military, you have a heck of a lot more capital to spend on other things, this is partly the reaons for their near-immediate economic recovery after the war. With a pledge of US protection, the Japanese donate money to support their allies instead of troups. Because of this whole history, the recently deployed small number of Japanese troups in Iraq (they do have a small defensive force) has raised quite a stir.
    you have NEVER driven a japanese car in your life.
    They look like cr*p, drive like cr*p and the parts cost a small fortune.
    Believe me, I worked with the industry
    J

ReputationRep:
    the americans dont have monstrous cars! *kicks newbie* take it back! take it back!

i personally am hoping for a pink jeep convertable (four wheel drive) for my 16th birthday.........but that is never going to happen.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.