This discussion is closed.
LucyAlice14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically I have just completed my AS levels for the second time.

Last year I studied History, Psychology and Philosophy I received horrific results due to numerous reasons and decided to retake the year at a different college. I took History, Law and Politics and I'm hoping to get ABB this time round!

I have to start my UCAS application and I was wondering will I even need to mention last year?

I'm hoping to just glide over it but I don't know if that's possible due to my last college starting my UCAS last year and the History AS level being of the same exam board so I technically just resat the exam.

Would be grateful for any advice!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Imposition
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well. You might have to mention it if you have taken 3-years to complete your A-level in history on the same exam board. If the exam board is different then it might not matter.

It's best to speak to your teachers about this as they'll be more knowledgeable as they most probably have experienced this before with other students.

Might(or might not) be of help
http://www.studential.com/sixthform/...apyear/retakes
rugbyladosc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah some unis want a levels to be completed in 2 years
LucyAlice14
Rep:
?
Okay thanks.

Also I'm pretty much set on going to the University of East Anglia, to read Law.. Alongside A2 i'm going to do an EPQ on a related topic to boost my
UCAS points, I have already built up my legal CV and I have recently been employed by a Solicitors Firm.

Any chance these factors may cancel out the fact it took me three years to complete my A-levels?

Imposition
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LucyAlice14)
Okay thanks.

Also I'm pretty much set on going to the University of East Anglia, to read Law.. Alongside A2 i'm going to do an EPQ on a related topic to boost my
UCAS points, I have already built up my legal CV and I have recently been employed by a Solicitors Firm.

Any chance these factors may cancel out the fact it took me three years to complete my A-levels?
Yes. There's a very high chance that it will. They'd be crazy not to give you an interview at least.
LucyAlice14
Rep:
?
That's comforting to hear! Thanks

Braptings
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I was in the same position as you last year. I am currently in my A2 year, after resitting my AS year. This is therefore my third year.

I resat AS after receiving horrific grades all round. I should be clear that you're meant to mention every grade you've attained, no matter how bad.

I did not do this. I received 5/5 offers, 3 being from Russel group universities, no questions asked. I'm not advocating my actions, but just providing you with perspective
pshewitt1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LucyAlice14)
Basically I have just completed my AS levels for the second time.

Last year I studied History, Psychology and Philosophy I received horrific results due to numerous reasons and decided to retake the year at a different college. I took History, Law and Politics and I'm hoping to get ABB this time round!

I have to start my UCAS application and I was wondering will I even need to mention last year?

I'm hoping to just glide over it but I don't know if that's possible due to my last college starting my UCAS last year and the History AS level being of the same exam board so I technically just resat the exam.

Would be grateful for any advice!!

same position as you but applied this year, simply put your exam result from As twice, don;t mention you resat the year, my universities didn't care, and UCAS doesn't state you have to say you resat the year only to put certificated results(so your original AS and this years)
pshewitt1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Braptings)
Hi, I was in the same position as you last year. I am currently in my A2 year, after resitting my AS year. This is therefore my third year.

I resat AS after receiving horrific grades all round. I should be clear that you're meant to mention every grade you've attained, no matter how bad, unless they're a U (I believe).

I did not do this. I received 5/5 offers, 3 being from Russel group universities, no questions asked. I'm not advocating my actions, but just providing you with perspective
you have to mention U's
Braptings
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pshewitt1)
you have to mention U's
Fair enough
pshewitt1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Braptings)
Fair enough
sucks I know but they're still certificated
LucyAlice14
Rep:
?
I didn't get any U's ... What happens if I just don't put them on my UCAS?!

LucyAlice14
Rep:
?
I got d e e by the way, so technically I did get AS levels.

Gthreadgold
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Won't they guess anyway if they look at your date of birth and you're a year behind the rest of your cohort? I think it's best to be honest, I don't see it as something which would put you behind, why should it?
AiB
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're going to have to enter the start and expected finished date of your A Levels. Even if you put the beginning of your resat year as the start date and not mention the actual start date, they would still notice as there would be a one year gap between your GCSEs and your AS.

It could potentially affect your chances so I suggest you contact the university before you apply.
fatface_elf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My tutor told me there was no point in mentioning Us. Especially if they are to be retaken
LucyAlice14
Rep:
?
Would the university not presume I just began a levels a year later? That does happen! I know several people who have done this and then continued to go on to university with no questions asked.

STOmelody
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as you're not doing the same AS levels as last year, I don't think it matters, because you have begun a fresh course and so it's not technically over 3 years... I would get an opinion from Head of Year/Form Tutor though.
And apparently there's no need to mention AS levels unless they've been cashed in!
poony
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's important to check with your current college because they will write your reference and check your application.
Iscodisco
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So should i leave it off or put in the grades from 1st AS's??!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
26.9%
No (125)
73.1%

Watched Threads