Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do people think of it? It's rep, the people, the rooms, anything. Thanks

(Original post by serendipity)
    I've got an offer and St. Aidans was my choice of college. The rooms are some of the better ones at Durham because most have undergone a make-over very recently. I think it has a rep for being quite an easy going college (still academic though) and the reason I picked it was that when I visted Durham, the people at Aidans seemed less up themselves than pretty much everyone else (Van Mildert was nice too)!!!

ReputationRep:

its where i was going to go...i really loved it there. its got a goo drep as a college with a good comunitee atmosphere, the people were a good mix and seemed nice, the rooms were standard student rooms- nothing particularly special but not horrible....if you've got an offer they'll offer you an over night stay in march...go...it was the best 24 hours ive had in a long time- im still mates with the people i met there.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you two, Leekey are you going to the open day in march? I'm going on the 22nd, for the open day on the 23rd.

Just out of interest Katy, why did you decide not to go in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you two, Leekey are you going to the open day in march? I'm going on the 22nd, for the open day on the 23rd.

ohhh, so does this mean you managed to get your college changed from St Mary's? or am i getting people mixed up?

ReputationRep:

i didnt decide, i missed my grades...by 4 grades, so they polietly refused me!

love Katy ***

I've got an invite but I don't really fancy going again because I won't be accepting thier offer so it's a bit pointless!!!

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from there to do chem (BBB) and i accepted it as my firm choice, i went to an open day in jan and it looked great, i also know 2 other people going to the same college from my school and one in the college next door

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I got an offer from this college today!
    I'd be grateful for any info on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    Hello
    !! Congratulations!!

Tis a good thing that you didn't give up hope!

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    Yay! What subject? Are you going to go on the open day on monday - tuesday? Aidan's has the rep of being Durham's friendliest college - it's at the top of a hill with amazing views over the city. i guess i'll be able to tell you more on monday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katini)
    !! Congratulations!!

Tis a good thing that you didn't give up hope!
    Thank you!

I'm going to the open day on tuesday, serendipity, staying over night on Monday.
    One thing that is worrying is the proportion of shared rooms...

ReputationRep:
    Yay! What subject? Are you going to go on the open day on monday - tuesday? Aidan's has the rep of being Durham's friendliest college - it's at the top of a hill with amazing views over the city. i guess i'll be able to tell you more on monday!

be careful thou...there are a lot of steps down to town

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Collingwood is better

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if you have to share a room in St Aidans?

Does anyone know if you have to share a room in St Aidans?
    Not very likely because there are only a small number of shared rooms in the entire college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Not very likely because there are only a small number of shared rooms in the entire college.
    But in the prospectus it says 231 single, 52 shared.
    52 shared - 104 people sharing.
    And if yuo take out third years who are probably in the singles, doesn't that leave about a 50/50 chance of sharing?

But in the prospectus it says 231 single, 52 shared.
    52 shared - 104 people sharing.
    And if yuo take out third years who are probably in the singles, doesn't that leave about a 50/50 chance of sharing?
    If you factor in the amount of people that actually want to share, that will reduce the number significantly. Also I think that you can specify that you are particularly opposed to sharing on a form of some description that you fill out when your place is confirmed (friend had to do this last year). Im sure that if you explain that you would feel very uncomforable sharing then they would do thier level best to accomodate your preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    If you factor in the amount of people that actually want to share, that will reduce the number significantly. Also I think that you can specify that you are particularly opposed to sharing on a form of some description that you fill out when your place is confirmed (friend had to do this last year). Im sure that if you explain that you would feel very uncomforable sharing then they would do thier level best to accomodate your preference.
    Thanks.
    I know it sounds terribly awful to ask not to share "mummy and daddy have always let me have my own room" type garbage, but I would just feel very self concious all the time. Love the idea of having neighbours though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    I know it sounds terribly awful to ask not to share "mummy and daddy have always let me have my own room" type garbage, but I would just feel very self concious all the time. Love the idea of having neighbours though
    well if you feel arkward with and wont ask then you cant feel that arkward

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.