Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
iiikewldude
Collingwood is better

collingwood is sooooo over hyped everyone sez its better and stuff but now other colleges have been refurbished it looks pokey with dark corridors, not quite the 'hotel on the hill' i envisaged'
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
cobra01977
well if you feel arkward with and wont ask then you cant feel that arkward

And in English please?
Reply 22
I just found out that I have an offer for St Aidans too! SO excited about it, had a look at the newly-refurbished rooms and they look very nice-even a mini-fridge so can't complain!
Reply 23
SweetSugar
I just found out that I have an offer for St Aidans too! SO excited about it, had a look at the newly-refurbished rooms and they look very nice-even a mini-fridge so can't complain!

i think it beats collingwood to the title of hotel on the hill
SweetSugar

Woah I'm envious! Lolz.. I'll be going to Johns and the forums dont talk much about it.
Reply 25
The people on the durham21 website reckon you do have to share a room, and what I don't get is that you seem to pay the same price for this as for the single room! Disgusting!
Reply 26
Is anyone else a bit frustrated that the aidans website is so poor?
I need more help making my decision!
Reply 27
Peapod
Is anyone else a bit frustrated that the aidans website is so poor?
I need more help making my decision!

it's not as poor as a lot of the others! try durham21 or durham shallot websites.
Reply 28
To anyone still interested...

St Aidan's is a good choice, well done! It is unpretentious
- only 3 formal dinners per term, unlike Bailey colleges that have about 1
- No academic robes for matriculation
- most students seem to be state school
- a lot of scientists/engineering
- slightly unfair reputation for being "Yorkshire's home from home"!
Strong college spirit
- large boat club
- many sports teams
- a mascot ("the Aidan's Armadillo") and a college megaphone for supporting sporting events!
Good ents
-Sports teams night and theme nights in bar
- Halloween party
-"Jingle ball" at Christmas
- Themed formals
- Informal ball in 2nd term
- Beer festival
-Open-mike nights in JCR
- Massive summer ball
Welfare
- Really strong exec, friendly and outgoing
- Full time sabbatical student president
- Training (eg Nightline) for welfare reps
- College parent system

But you know what? You'll get comparable things is every single Durham college. I think the social mix and the size does make a difference, but ultimately nearly everyone develops a strange, inexplicable attachment to their college, even if it was not their first choice. It's a community, it's where you eat, sleep and play for a least a year (except Cuths)... so you may as well enjoy it!

:wink:
Reply 29
I've been accepted!!!!!!!!!
Reply 30
Hey guys, just wnated to say i got into durham, st. aidens...will see you all there soooooon!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! see you there!!!!
Aiden's bar does a good range of cocktails and shots from what I recall (based on many a hazy night), and a good pizza bar...but Hild Bede has the most pub-like bar!
Reply 32
Well done guys!

Tis an excellent choice. Looks like it's gonna be a good fresher's week anyways. May be a good idea to write your room number on your toga... in case you a) forget it or b) pass out and have to be carried back to your room and put to bed by 3 junior fresher's reps - hey it happens every year :rolleyes:

Responsible bit: there are non-drink-centred activities too, obv.

In addition:
1. At least one person will go to A & E, usually for a random drunken injury like swallowing a penny or running into a glass door.
2. Certain gap year students will insist on speaking in the accent of whatever country they've spent the year in, and thus become known as "Aussie Mike" or "Canadian Dave", but then that's true of everywhere, not just Aidan's...
3. Some freshers will pull exec members. And believe they'll gain an instant cool reputation as a result... alas, it's really very common among Aidanites! :wink:
4. Someone will declare themselves to be a "college character" within three days... and declare that they'll run for JCR president.
5. Many of you will join the Boat Club and never put so much as a toe near the river. And consequently dismiss the SACBC as, like, really dull… strange lycra fetishists... who can’t drink like the rugby team can.
6. One group will spot the red sofas in the JCR and claim them as their own. They're not. Be adventurous: at least go to the bar.

Reply 33
Gem006

2. Certain gap year students will insist on speaking in the accent of whatever country they've spent the year in, and thus become known as "Aussie Mike" or "Canadian Dave", but then that's true of everywhere, not just Aidan's...

spent most of my gap year working in a builder's company in the office...do i have to speak like a builder? perhaps i should keep muttering about tea break, bad apprentices, the bad weather, the tits of the girl on page three and asking who nicked my fags?
Hey Gem - I think you maybe forgetting the college character is the Aidan's BADGER (in a close fought battle between the badger and the armidillo)!

Congrats all who are coming to Aidan's, you're in for a treat. Fresher's week looks set to be a belter. Watch the post for letters from college parents sometime in September (and if you're lucky enough, or foolish enough, to study philosophy, your college mum may be me!)

Anyhoo, enjoy the rest of the hols, see you in October - bring it on!

Kate x
Reply 35
Thanks for the information guys :smile: Do you know what we have planned for freshers week yet?
Reply 36
hey Kate, fancy meeting you here! (especially seeing as I have nothing whatsoever to do with Aidan's and shouldn't really be here!)

Anyway, seeing as I am here, hope you've had a good summer! Which politics modules are you doing next year?

And umm.....I heard Aidan's college mat was trophied on the vary last day of term?! Any news on that? :tongue:

Jason

x
Reply 37
manic_jas
hey Kate, fancy meeting you here! (especially seeing as I have nothing whatsoever to do with Aidan's and shouldn't really be here!)

Anyway, seeing as I am here, hope you've had a good summer! Which politics modules are you doing next year?

And umm.....I heard Aidan's college mat was trophied on the vary last day of term?! Any news on that? :tongue:

Jason

x

No! Not the college mat! Err...what IS a college mat anyway? :redface:
Reply 38
serendipity
No! Not the college mat! Err...what IS a college mat anyway? :redface:

Large doormat owned by the college. As they normally have the college crest on them, and are sizable they are an ideal target for trophying
Reply 39
dave134
Large doormat owned by the college. As they normally have the college crest on them, and are sizable they are an ideal target for trophying

If Hatfield has one it's gone by the end of freshers!! Hanging it in my room might be a tad obvious though!

Latest