Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am an American applying to universities in the United Kingdom to study. I just got an unconditional offer to study law at University College London. Does this mean I am in. Also does anyone know anything about this school...is it a good law school...I applied but don't really know too much about this place. Please help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckwan16)
    I am an American applying to universities in the United Kingdom to study. I just got an unconditional offer to study law at University College London. Does this mean I am in. Also does anyone know anything about this school...is it a good law school...I applied but don't really know too much about this place. Please help.
    Unconditional means you are in, no matter what. Congratualtions!!
    UCL is supposed to be a really good law school, top 5 maybe (?) dont quote me on that - you will have to see a league table or something. Try the times online. www.thetimes.co.uk (i think) then the league tables are under the Student section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Unconditional means you are in, no matter what. Congratualtions!!
    UCL is supposed to be a really good law school, top 5 maybe (?) dont quote me on that - you will have to see a league table or something. Try the times online. www.thetimes.co.uk (i think) then the league tables are under the Student section.
    I found this out over the Track system...is it reliable?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the offer. I've got an unconditional from UCL for law too! its top of my list at the mo. I'm always interested in why Americans want to study here when you have a load of good law schoold-y do you? And howmuch is it gonna cost you??
    Yes its totally reliable, you can basically sue their ass if they're wrong which as an american i'm sure you can appreciate;D-they ARE the system so they won't be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    I found this out over the Track system...is it reliable?
    The Online UCAS track system ?

Yes it's reliable. Normally is one or 2 days ahead of the paper trail.

Expect confirmation of the UnCon offer by Monday or Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!!! An unconditional offer for law at UCL!! That's really good! The only reservations i can perceive you may have is the prospect of living in London...it isn't everyone's preference.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Congrats on the offer. I've got an unconditional from UCL for law too! its top of my list at the mo. I'm always interested in why Americans want to study here when you have a load of good law schoold-y do you? And howmuch is it gonna cost you??
    Yes its totally reliable, you can basically sue their ass if they're wrong which as an american i'm sure you can appreciate;D-they ARE the system so they won't be wrong though.
    I have two cousins who went to KCL for law and one at Imperial for civil engineering. They recommended studying in the UK when I was looking for law schools. I already have a bachelor's degree from the University of California, Davis (history). In the US, you have to have a bachelor's degree before you study law.

The funny thing is that studying in the UK will cost me the same amount of money that I paid at UC Davis (a public university), $USD 15,000 a year. This is damn cheap compared to private schools in the US which are $25,000 to $30,000 a year. It's great that schools like UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, and the rest of the UC system schools are better than most private schools (rankings and research) and yet cost half the price (bang for your buck). Studying in England is suprisingly a cost effective way for me to get a good legal education and be able to pay for it by myself. Still waiting on some other schools (LSE and KCL), but I am just glad that I got into UCL.

Don't know much about UCL and could use all the info that I can get.

ReputationRep:
    It is an incredibly good university for law...one of the best in the country. When i applied...it was third after Cambridge and LSE.

It's in the centre of London...so you'll never have anything to not do! London will cater for almost any interest you may have..and the nightlife is great too..countless clubs, restaurants...etc.

The only problem i have with London and UCL as well as KCL is that being in London...there is a high cost of living. Also...if your personality isn't suited to living in a large city...then UCL probably isn't for you.

G

ReputationRep:
    UCL is good but i think LSE will be even better than ucl @ law.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how complacent you are being - you've got an unconditional from UCL... That is an absolutely incredible opportunity to be presented with, you really can't get much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    I can't believe how complacent you are being - you've got an unconditional from UCL... That is an absolutely incredible opportunity to be presented with, you really can't get much better.
    haha...I guess I sound like a doofus with my question...I should thank my cousin for recommending that I apply.

Don't really know too much about the UK University system...that's why I am here trying to get some info...Got rejected from SOAS and Queen Mary, but I think I can live with that now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    It is an incredibly good university for law...one of the best in the country. When i applied...it was third after Cambridge and LSE.

It's in the centre of London...so you'll never have anything to not do! London will cater for almost any interest you may have..and the nightlife is great too..countless clubs, restaurants...etc.

The only problem i have with London and UCL as well as KCL is that being in London...there is a high cost of living. Also...if your personality isn't suited to living in a large city...then UCL probably isn't for you.

G
    I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area...I think I am pretty used to city life

ReputationRep:
    are you interested in being a lawyer in the UK?

if not, then surely you're setting yourself up for even more courses etc, should you go back and want to practice in the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    Yes, it has a very good law school. Lord Woolf, the highest judge in England, is a graduate of the UCL Law School.
    And Ronald Dworkin, top legal and moral philosopher, is a lecturer there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    are you interested in being a lawyer in the UK?

if not, then surely you're setting yourself up for even more courses etc, should you go back and want to practice in the US?
    I can take the CA or NY bar exam with a degree from a University of London school. No need to take extra courses but I am planning to eventually get a LLM from a US school.

It would be one extra year for an LLM at a US school.

There is also that exchange program UCL has with Columbia....do two years at UCL and do two years at Columbia get a J.D. and LLB. It's probably very selective but it is another avenue.

Not too worried about it overall though....Plenty of ways to skin a cat

ReputationRep:
    gnostic you seem to be an expert on law schools... what are your views on warwick in comparison to ucl and THE lse

ReputationRep:
    My rankings -

1) Oxbridge
    2) The Big London Three - UCL, KCL, LSE
    3) Durham, Warwick

As I said before, Durham and Warwick are overhyped by A-level students.
    Can I just ask...out of oxbridge...which do you think is better for law???

Cos when i applied...it said cam by a fair bit....but the latest league table says oxford would be top if it weren't for the reasearch rating thing...

G

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule, Cambridge has the edge over Oxford. In the Times League Table for Law 2003, Cambridge was 1st, Oxford 2nd, and LSE 3rd.
    That's what i thought....but i read somewhere that if all the oxford lecturers had submitted work for reaserch purposes...they'd be ahead of cam....

G

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like that is a fantasy dreamt up by some Oxford student...
    You said it...Cambridge all the way!!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Dworkin is such a prat - he's just an inflated no-body that no-body will remember in 100 years. He thinks that he's the next best thing since Hart - frankly he's embarrassing to read.

As for the ranking of the London Law Schools -

1) LSE
    2) UCL
    3) KCL
    4) SOAS
    5) Queen Mary
    Thanks for the help man. One of my cousins from Kings gave me his ranking, but there is definitely some bias...hahaha 1) Kings 2) LSE school 3) UCL 4) SOAS, 5)QM.

I'm definitely excited about the opportunity of studying in England. Still waiting for decisions from LSE and Kings, but I am very pleased about potentially going to UCL. What is the good and/or bad reputation that UCL and its students have....for example here are some off the wall American university stereotypes

By reputation, UC Berkeley is one of the world's elite universities but it has the ugliest girls in America according to Playboy...I'm afraid that this is very true and sad considering they beat MIT, Cal Tech, Army, Navy, and Air Force...hahaha. Arizona State University on the other hand has the hottest girls in America according to this same list....

U$C has the dubious reputation of being a slacker school filled with dumb children from rich families or dumb football players (national champs 04)...definitely not completely true (true to a certain extent ) and the school is very good....but that's the stereotype nonetheless

BTW do these schools have any good rivalries. American universities have heated rivalries in both athletics (most definitely) and academics (somewhat). For example Satanfurd/UC Berkeley......UC Davis/UC San Diego......Harvard/Yale.....Texas/Oklahoma...UCLA/U$C (aka SUC).

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.