The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It is worth mentioning that gnostic's views on the LSE are slightly less than entirely objective.
Reply 21
Gnostic
UCL and KCL are mortal enemies - UCL was founded in 1826 as a secular university. Good old King George was pissed off with this and so he, together with the Duke of Wellington, founded King's College (hence its name) in 1829 as an Anglican rival to UCL.

KCL students call UCL students "godless scum".

UCL students call KCL "the poly on the Strand" (in the UK a "poly" or "polytechnic" is a low-class university).

In the last century there were some fits - UCL students stole the Lion statute of KCL, KCL students stormed the UCL quad in retaliation, fits etc. But these days the rivalry exists only as witty sneers at each other. One top law firm (I forget which one) holds an annual UCL v KCL debating match at its Head Office in the City.

As for the LSE, it does have a long history of rivalry with Cambridge in both economics and philosophy but the superiority of the LSE over the other big colleges of the University of London is generally respected and revered and so it doesn’t have any problems with UCL or KCL.

Nice to see that I can continue to talk trash with my cousins...

Godless Scum has a nice ring to it....I'll be sure to tell my cousins from King's to kiss my.....
Reply 22
Gnostic, how could you forget the infamous incident of Kings students stealing Bentham’s head??

Ckwan, in case you have no idea what im talking about. The preserved body of UCL’s founder, Bentham, is on display at UCL cloisters. Myth has it that kings students stole his head in retaliation for some prank. It was found on kings’ campus, and since that incident, his head has been kept under lock and key, and a false wax head installed on his skeleton instead.

ucl.ac.uk/Bentham-Project/info/jb.htm
Gnostic
I seem to recall that Bentham's head was used as a football at KCL...

it was. How gross. The students at UCL view KCL as rivals.
Reply 24
www.egyptology-uk.com/bloomsbury/index/bentham_auto-icon2.jpg

check out his real head- it's that thing sitting between his feet.
lyd
www.egyptology-uk.com/bloomsbury/index/bentham_auto-icon2.jpg

check out his real head- it's that thing sitting between his feet.

i decline, feeling queasy at the thought already.
Gnostic
Even in death these utilitarians are rather odd, aren’t they? :smile:

I've actually been tempted to dig up Marx's skeleton head (he was, of course, buried in a London crematory) and generally do some mischief with it. Anyone else up for it?

No you can count me out, unless you know a way to revive his spirit, so i can talk to him :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending