Surrey Snowsports: The largest sports club at Surrey Watch

alexmcf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
We don't mess around: we're kind of a big deal... The biggest and most active sports club on campus with over four big ski trips a year: you'd be simply spesh not to sign up...

We have a huge range of ability levels: Some of us can barely stand up, largely due to beer and others spend their winter 50ft in the air and upside-down. If you thought skiing / snowboarding was too expensive in the past then there's no better time to start!

Check out our freshers' fayre stall in the first week of semester in October

What do we have?
  • Just shy of 400 active members
  • More hot guys and girls than you could wolf whistle at
  • Discounts around Guildford bars & clubs worth around £100 with membership
  • The largest sports club bar crawl each semester
  • 2 Massive ski trips for a ridiculously cheap price
  • 1 Massive weekend in Edinburgh
  • Beginners lessons to make you the best skier on the mountain by December
  • Freestyle night every 3 weeks
  • Race training for boarders and skiers every other week with international coaches
  • 2 mixed ski teams; 2 mixed snowboard teams and 1 girls ski team all competing and winning at a national level
  • The only University to be an official partner with Hemel indoor snowdome
  • Numerous trips to Hemel Hempstead snowdome at highly discounted prices

www.surreysnowsports.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuQJTYFvZAc
orionmoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I heard a rumour that about a year or two ago money from your societies accounts mysteriously vanished, and at the same time committee people suddenly had the money to go on a private ski trip....

I cant/dont ski but thats from my mate who joined 2 years ago when we were in first year. But gave up because all e society cared about was socials

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
alexmcf
Rep:
?
No this is thoroughly untrue, there are three signatories for every sports club which are held personally liable for any money which is lost or spent willfully. What you are referring to is a criminal offence and no committee would ever do such a thing to their friends. You have to bear in mind that we are voted in by our friends to run the club for our friends.

Our society runs skiing related events on average over once a week. I was the social secretary two years ago and this is how our events calendar panned out, as you can see there was a lot of things going on
This year we're an official partner with Hemel Snowdome so we can offer an insane amount of skiing incredibly cheap!!!

Directly Skiing Related:

Race training (advanced members): biweekly
Freestyle Training - Trampolining (those who like bouncing): Triweekly
Freestyle Sessions - Hemel (Intermediate+): Roughly once a month
Beginners Lessons: Weekly Oct - Dec
Milton Keynes (Beginners+): Once a Semester
Main Ski trip - Val Thorens (Anyone): New years day leave return 9th Jan
BUDS - Edinburgh (Anyone): November 4th - 7th
Kings Races (Intermediate+ for competitors, 50-70 social supporters): 4 rounds & 1 final
BUISC Cometitions (Intermediate+ for competitors, 25 ish social supporters): 1 qualifier & final in Leeds

Socials:

Igloo Event (Snowcannon, DJ Set, Ice Shot Glasses & Decor): One off
Whiteout (Biggest sports barcrawl): once a semester
Wine Wednesdays: Weekly
MNG (Monday Night Guildford): roughly biweekly on average
Pre trip party
Post trip party
Summer BBQ
All our race events have a large social theme on the supporter side of things like fancy dress etc.

This is purely based on the ski club two years ago and I can tell you from plans in operation we have a LOT more going on this year!
alexmcf
Rep:
?
In fact I'd like to add that we've spent most of our summer so far organising things for next year!

This year we have more free stuff, more skiing and better discounts.

Our social scene is well known to be one of the best on the country let alone on campus so no change needed there. Although they will be more organised this year lol.

justn1c2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeahh!! Cant wait to join Surrey Snowsports in September!
alexmcf
Rep:
?
Word of advice: make sure you visit a cash machine the day before freshers fayre else you'll spend the majority of your day in a cash machine queue with other disorganised people.

seb500
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Never had the chance to Ski or Snowboard but would love to have ago, beginners welcome yeah?
justn1c2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by seb500)
Never had the chance to Ski or Snowboard but would love to have ago, beginners welcome yeah?
There website says so yes.

http://www.surreysnowsports.com/home/?page_id=660
ncorda
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im going to cranfield university in September, they dont have any ski clubs What to do?
MaddieW
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by seb500)
Beginners are definitely welcome with incredibly discounted lessons happening every other week!
alexmcf
Rep:
?
Recent studies have shown that when you join the Snowsports society you become 70% more attractive to the opposite sex.

This has been called 'bang-theory' by academics.
Funkyduck
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys!!

my brother used to go to Surrey! I've heard all about your club first hand! Where and when can I sign up? How much is membership and when's your first social?

Xx
alexmcf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Funkyduck)
Hi guys!!

my brother used to go to Surrey! I've heard all about your club first hand! Where and when can I sign up? How much is membership and when's your first social?

Xx
That's awesome!

You can sign up at Freshers' Fayre. I think membership is going to be £25 this year from talking to our treasurer.

I'd advise getting down to our stall early as we usually sign up about 400 people in that one day. Most turn up I the afternoon and it's incredibly busy.

Our first social will be the moving-in Saturday. There's never anything going on at the union that night so we'll go door to door on campus and gather you all up!

alexmcf
Rep:
?
Anyone who snowboards/skates/surfs search me out on Facebook and send me a message.

I'm currently looking for the next gen of snowboarders to turn into freestyle heros.

alexmcf
Rep:
?
Freshers' fayre is coming soon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19
  • University of Surrey
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • University of Surrey
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.7%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (76)
18.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.68%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.6%

Watched Threads