Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know where you can get hold of all the courses and universites that went to clearing last year, all help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james18)
    does anyone know where you can get hold of all the courses and universites that went to clearing last year, all help would be greatly appreciated.
    They were published in the times and guardian papers i think, so if you tried on their websites they may have some info.

ReputationRep:
    http://intgam1.newsint.co.uk/Clearing/ from the times site...

ReputationRep:

the independant is the "offical" clearning newspaper..their website might have it.

i was really really suppriesed by how many course are in clearing!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    hey, can anyone explain wat exactly clearing is and how it works?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    the independant is the "offical" clearning newspaper..their website might have it.

i was really really suppriesed by how many course are in clearing!

love Katy ***
    There is usualy very little places on them though, my course was in the clearing last year but very few people actually get in from clearing because they have so many people applying through clearing its actually quite hard to get in that way. It tends to be the lower universities that use clearing to fill their courses. One of the London universities (not TVU for a change) actualy had a 40% clearing intake last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ct123)
    Its where uns try to fill spaces they have eg. from students who have been made offers and have not fulfilled the offer. They need to fill the course to be viable financially. SO students who may have failed to get into their chosen unis can ring up on results day and say they want a place if there are any free for that course, lists are usually in the top papers.

ReputationRep:
    You can find last year's list here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/clearing/

There are also some articles about clearing that might be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ct123)

right, this is assuming you've applied through ucas..and failed to meet both your 1st choice and 2nd choice places.

first you check both unis are refusing to have you. because here in exeter im the only one who came through clearing in my circle of friends although none of us got the required grades.

once you know you have no place, you look through the news paper to find which course you would like to apply for, under neath the title is a list of all unis offering this course in clearing. i think they were in the special code, so it may be useful to have the internet near to find out what the uni codes are.

you then ring the unis you like asking them if they'll have you. you dont have to say yes to the first one that says will have you. i had a choice between sheffield and Exeter...and sheffield said yes first but then i prefered Exeter. so went with Exeter.

Then once you've decided where you want to go, ring them and ask them to keep you a place. it took me from thursday to Tuesday before i asked Exeter to keep me a place.

while all this is happening, your first and second choice uni'ss will be officially rejecting ( durham took 3 weeks to do this..so you may need to be patient)

once this has happened, you will get a clearing form throught the post. fill this in and send it to the addmissions tutor of the course you want...ie the person you will have been speaking to since results day.

they accept it and send it on to ucas. you then get a letter from ucas saying youve been accepted and have now left clearing.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    There is usualy very little places on them though, my course was in the clearing last year but very few people actually get in from clearing because they have so many people applying through clearing its actually quite hard to get in that way. It tends to be the lower universities that use clearing to fill their courses. One of the London universities (not TVU for a change) actualy had a 40% clearing intake last year.

75% of the people on my course came through clearing and Exeters a good uni.

my Choices were sheffield or Exeter...and theyre both good unis.

i had no problem getting places on any of the courses i phoned up about most wouldnt have me because i was over qualified.

a lot of good unis have places because everyone who put them down as their second choice got the grades to go to their first...

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    75% of the people on my course came through clearing and Exeters a good uni.

my Choices were sheffield or Exeter...and theyre both good unis.

i had no problem getting places on any of the courses i phoned up about most wouldnt have me because i was over qualified.

a lot of good unis have places because everyone who put them down as their second choice got the grades to go to their first...

love Katy ***
    Just out of interest, what subject are you doing, where did you apply to (before clearing) and what grades did you get? Also, what is Exeter Uni like? I'm interested in going there

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.