Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where/How to get cartilage pierced? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want my ear cartilage pierced, but I'm unsure where/how to get it done. I've heard that with a spring loaded gun it can shatter the cartilage and lead to cauliflower ear, but that having it done with a needle is excruciating.

I went into Claire's the other day and the shop assistant explained that their guns are not spring loaded and that it's just a case of 'pushing.'

This sounds rather painful to me, although I can't remember if the gun was spring loaded for my lobe piercings or not!! Are any guns even spring loaded now?

As a side note, I'd have to have a titanium stud, as I react to most earrings

ReputationRep:
    Needle is excruciating? :lolwut: Don't know where you heard that but it's total crap.

Think about it logically, if you want to pop a balloon which is easier; a sharp pencil (needle) or a blunt pencil (stud forced through with a gun)?

I had my helix done with a needle. Short sharp pain, definitely not "excruciating".

ReputationRep:
    Guns are crap. Needles are far better for loads of reasons. The only possibly potential 'benefit' to guns is that they're usually cheaper. Which shouldn't even be a factor IMO.

Think about it...what sounds worse - a very sharp needle making a clean & quick hole, or a relatively blunt stud being forced through thick cartilage? I have no idea why people seem to think guns are less painful =/ They always seem terribly uncomfortable to me.

ReputationRep:
    its just a needle, why would it be painful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    Guns are crap. Needles are far better for loads of reasons. The only possibly potential 'benefit' to guns is that they're usually cheaper. Which shouldn't even be a factor IMO.

Think about it...what sounds worse - a very sharp needle making a clean & quick hole, or a relatively blunt stud being forced through thick cartilage? I have no idea why people seem to think guns are less painful =/ They always seem terribly uncomfortable to me.
    Wouldn't the gun really damage the area around the hole. The cartilage is sensitive and could tear.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just a case of finding a good piercing salon near you. I've used the same piercer for all of my piercings (apart from my lobes because I was a lot younger when I got those, and yes, they used a gun for that), and he's been brilliant. I keep going back because he's very clean and all of my piercings turn out well, and now the rest of my family use him too.

Claire's probably isn't the best place to get anything other than your lobes done. It is, after all, an accessory shop and not a piercing salon. It's unlikely that the people who work there have an awful lot of experience with things other than lobes, so you're safest bet it to find a salon who does (it may cost a little more, but it's probably safer in the long run. And remember, piercings last a long time; the one off payment is probably worth it for something that will last for years).

As for the procedure itself, all of my cartilage piercings were done with needles. Usually, you go in, the piercer will put a little dot on your skin where you want it done, and you can tell them to move it if you want so you get exactly what you want. Then you'll be sat down, the part of your ear potentially clamped (this depends on how easy it is to get to), and they'll clean up your ear with antiseptic. The place where I go use a cold, numbing spray at this point, but not all salons do so that might be something to ask about if you're nervous about the pain. Then they'll probably talk you through it; they'll say that they're about to push the needle through, and you'll feel a quick, sharpish pain (not excruciating!) which fades quickly after, they'll then say that they're removing the needle and putting the jewellery in (this can sometimes be uncomfortable, but the worst bit is over!). Then you'll get to look in the mirror at your new piercing and there you go! All done! Another tip is to think about something completely different while it's going on. For example, I'm a dancer so I start going through my dances in my head while he's putting the needle through. Hope this helps and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    As ElleRose said, it really is a case of finding a good salon near you - and I wouldn't go to Claire's for a cartilage piercing either. I've heard that cartilage piercings are nearly all done with a needle and in my experience they have been (I have 3) - but really, they are nothing to worry about, not excruciating. It probably takes a fraction of a second longer than a gun would do - and if it's something that you really want done, the pain is nothing compared to how long you'll be wearing the earring for

Also, if they're a reputable salon, they will have their trained piercing artists there, and they will most likely chat to you and take your mind off it whilst they prepare everything and get it done. Honestly, the pain is nothing to worry about - it is over in less than a second!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by another_member)
    Wouldn't the gun really damage the area around the hole. The cartilage is sensitive and could tear.
    Exactly my point...guns are awful and totally unsuitable for piercing, especially through tougher tissue like cartilage.

ReputationRep:
    I've had my cartilage done with both and whilst the needle did hurt more, with the gun my entire ear hurt for much longer and I had to take it out because the 'piercer' put it in the wrong place. Seriously though, you're not livestock being tagged, get it done with a needle!

ReputationRep:
    I had my helix done with a gun and my tragus done with a needle and the helix hurt more. That might just be me. I had my conch done with a needle too and didn't have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I've had two cartilage piercings with a needle and would never even consider having it done with a gun. My conch didn't hurt a bit because I didn't feel a thing. My helix was in an awkward place which is the only reason it hurt.
    I personally think Blue Banana (if there is one near you) are the best for piercings.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by EckoGecko)
    I've had two cartilage piercings with a needle and would never even consider having it done with a gun. My conch didn't hurt a bit because I didn't feel a thing. My helix was in an awkward place which is the only reason it hurt.
    I personally think Blue Banana (if there is one near you) are the best for piercings.
    Blue Banana are ****. They're about as bad as Claire's.

ReputationRep:
    As others have mentioned, make sure you get it done with a needle! A few of my friends mocked me coz i paid more for using a needle (they used a gun) but i dont care, using a needle is a whole lot safer than using a gun. I'm not gonna lie, it did hurt when the needle went through but it was like a short, quick, pain....which was then repeated again coz i wanted 2 cartilage piercings :emo: but all in all it turned out well, it did look swollen for a few days but now that has died down and also the numbing pain has stopped too. I went to Eclipse in Camden Town to get it done, after this one I want more piercings done :coma:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Needles REALLY hurt but they're so much safer. Either way, its going to hurt and get infected if you dont clean them properly

ReputationRep:
    Allways get piercings done with a needle it causes less tissue damage surrounding it and although pain is different for everyone needles are less painful then guns, cartilage can be shattered by a gun and they cannot be cleaned properly, though make sure the needle they use and all equipment is sterile and needle is a one use needle. The best places to go are piercing and tattoo studios as theyre all highly trained. Hope it all goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just wondering if you could help. I got a piercing near the top of my ear lobe exactly a week today. It was done using a gun but it now hurts like hell. The pain is actually unbearable I can't even touch it with a finger and it continuously throbs. My friend told me to wash it out with warm salty water however is there anything else you guys can suggest? Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neekha)
    Hey guys, just wondering if you could help. I got a piercing near the top of my ear lobe exactly a week today. It was done using a gun but it now hurts like hell. The pain is actually unbearable I can't even touch it with a finger and it continuously throbs. My friend told me to wash it out with warm salty water however is there anything else you guys can suggest? Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

If it's not infected (ie it's not leaking pus) I would recommend you wash your hands well, and remove the stud (it might hurt for a minute but it'll be worth it). Wait for it to heal and then get it repierced with a needle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neekha)

Go to see a good piercer who doesn't use guns. They might suggest that a jewellery change would be appropriate (gun jewellery is often low quality and too short to account for swelling) or that it might be best to take it out and get it repierced. There's also a chance it could be infected, which may require you going to the doctors.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I'm thinking of getting mine done cause I tried doing it myself with a needle, got it all the way through, and then lost the hole and couldn't get the ear ring in. My dad says I should go to Claires but I really don't want it to hurt cause I put the needle in without numbing or ice, and it didn't hurt at all but everyone's saying it will hurt with the gun.. help?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.