Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm probs being v. stupid somewhere

I thought it would be dimethyl butan-1-ol

If you label the carbon joined to the –OH as 1 and then 2, 3 as you come right?

But it's butan-2-ol.... whyy ? :/

thanks a lot!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasmine_777)
    If you label the carbon joined to the –OH as 1 and then 2, 3 as you come right?
    You label chains from one end to the other, so the carbon attached to the OH is either 2 or 3.

But it's butan-2-ol.... whyy ? :/

thanks a lot!
    Longest chain is four carbons and the OH is on carbon 2 or 3 - and you use the lowest number possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    You label chains from one end to the other, so the carbon attached to the OH is either 2 or 3.

Longest chain is four carbons and the OH is on carbon 2 or 3 - and you use the lowest number possible
    It looks like it should be 2 methyl butan-2-ol to me, or when drawing it out just from the name butan 2 ol you would miss a methyl group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    It looks like it should be 2 methyl butan-2-ol to me, or when drawing it out just from the name butan 2 ol you would miss a methyl group
    Agreed it is 2-methylbutan-2-ol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    :yep: I was just saying why the root of the name is butan-2-ol not butan-1-ol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)

PRSOM.

Thank you! Losing all my AS knowledge. Sigh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.