Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hope to apply next year for a course in classics with german, can anyone reccomend some texts to read in either one of these subjects, prior to an oxbridge interview, that would show initiative and enthusiasm on my part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defec8ing)
    I hope to apply next year for a course in classics with german, can anyone reccomend some texts to read in either one of these subjects, prior to an oxbridge interview, that would show initiative and enthusiasm on my part?

What type of classics? English translation or original text?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Oxford and Cambridge do not offer 'Classics in translation' degrees.

EDIT: oh, I get it - sorry, I thought that was referring to the degree rather than the texts to read now.

I'd just go for texts that you're interested in - there's not point in trying to cram in an endless amount of reading just so that you can say you have done it. Better to stick to a few things you like and have a good understanding of them.

ReputationRep:
    Either. just something unusual that would possibly make me stand out at interview, as a candidate that has a higher than average interest in the subject!

ReputationRep:
    Either. just something unusual that would possibly make me stand out at interview, as a candidate that has a higher than average interest in the subject!
    Surely for it to be genuine interest the books you read would just have to be classics-related ones which appeal to you -- people on this forum can't tell you what areas of classics you should be interested in. Also if you do develop an interest in a particular area then make sure you mention it on your personal statement -- knowing a lot about, say, Greek pottery won't help you (in terms of getting an offer or not, that is) if the interviewers don't know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    Oxford and Cambridge do not offer 'Classics in translation' degrees.

EDIT: oh, I get it - sorry, I thought that was referring to the degree rather than the texts to read now.

I'd just go for texts that you're interested in - there's not point in trying to cram in an endless amount of reading just so that you can say you have done it. Better to stick to a few things you like and have a good understanding of them.

Your correct about my original statement but they do offer Ancient History which is in effect classics in translation. I did Classical Civilisation at A level, which was just basically Greek and Roman literature in translation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Surely for it to be genuine interest the books you read would just have to be classics-related ones which appeal to you -- people on this forum can't tell you what areas of classics you should be interested in. Also if you do develop an interest in a particular area then make sure you mention it on your personal statement -- knowing a lot about, say, Greek pottery won't help you (in terms of getting an offer or not, that is) if the interviewers don't know it.
    the trouble i'm finding is that the only authors which i can get reccomendations for in classics are the mainstream ones, eg, virgil, ovid, and there are no reccomendations out there for further reading, on other authors, to further broaden my horizons! If any of you have any suggestions of other areas to delve into, then this would be great!

ReputationRep:
    the trouble i'm finding is that the only authors which i can get reccomendations for in classics are the mainstream ones, eg, virgil, ovid, and there are no reccomendations out there for further reading, on other authors, to further broaden my horizons! If any of you have any suggestions of other areas to delve into, then this would be great!
    Thucydides, Horace, I dont know the list is endless. You must read the 'mainstream' ones though, as these are often the most important works, often incorporating many subjects e.g. Virgil and Homer.

ReputationRep:
    The famous authors will certainly do fine; if you show a great interest in the orations of Dio Chrysostom (for example) they'll probably think you a little eccentric (then again in classicists that might be regarded as a good thing). Also look at recent books on Classical archaeology and Ancient History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    The famous authors will certainly do fine; if you show a great interest in the orations of Dio Chrysostom (for example) they'll probably think you a little eccentric (then again in classicists that might be regarded as a good thing). Also look at recent books on Classical archaeology and Ancient History.

what books/authors had you read prior to interview then?

ReputationRep:
    what books/authors had you read prior to interview then?
    I just read the standard ones like you probably already know. I was very well up on Greek plays at the time. I also blagged that I 'loved' visiting Athens and Rome with my school. I went on an archaeolgical dig after L6, and blagged that too.

ReputationRep:
    I just read the standard ones like you probably already know. I was very well up on Greek plays at the time. I also blagged that I 'loved' visiting Athens and Rome with my school. I went on an archaeolgical dig after L6, and blagged that too.
    I'm booked onto a JACT greek summer school, to brush up my greek which has lagged from lack of practice since g.c.s.e, Hope that this too will show interest. Have you done anything like this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm booked onto a JACT greek summer school, to brush up my greek which has lagged from lack of practice since g.c.s.e, Hope that this too will show interest. Have you done anything like this?
    No I did my latin A level in year 10 and did AS Greek in L6 so never needed to really. I've just been taught it from an early age so it comes as second nature now. HAve you done anything like Classical civ? I find that more interesting to be honest, goes much deeper.

ReputationRep:
    No I did my latin A level in year 10 and did AS Greek in L6 so never needed to really. I've just been taught it from an early age so it comes as second nature now. HAve you done anything like Classical civ? I find that more interesting to be honest, goes much deeper.
    no, didn't have the option to, with the other A-levels that I needed to do, there was no option to do Latin A level early! did manage to do both latin and greek to g.c.s.e though A* with not too much bother, and I find my german coming to me easier and easier, but although carrying on my latin to As at the moment, the lack of practice in greek, means that i will need to brush up before any interview exams!

ReputationRep:
    I did it last year and may do again this year, it was really good fun from a social point of view and plenty of Greek can be learnt.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read any virgil or ovid or homer for classics apart from what i'd had to read for exams etc...
    But I read menander and aristophanes cos i'm interested in theatre in general and I also read some random poems that I found in a dusty old book in the library when i was bored...
    Just read up on things you find interesting rather than what would look impressive, cos you'l be able to talk about your passions and that'll give you the edge.

ReputationRep:
    How well would we need to know these topic that we read up on? very well? or just enough to seem interested?

ReputationRep:
    cant help you with classics i'm afraid, but for german i read die verwandlung and the caucasian chalk circle- both in english mind- and just kept up to date with stuff on der spiegel. in my interview they asked me about the ongoing debate as to whether muslim teachers should be allowed headscarves, christian teachers crosses etc (which then digressed into what is a democracy :eek: :confused: ) are u goin to apply to oxford for it? if so i'd do loads of lit if u can, considering half their course is literature.
    alternatively u could pick a couple of topics u really enjoyed in your course, and just look at them in more detail...unless u do the AQA syllabus, which can be as boring as hell

Pri xxx

ReputationRep:
    What about poetry? I mean, from my AS level course, we've read Horace, Juvenal - who is highly amusing, he gets *****y about the town, people, nasty things being thrown out of windows as you walk around, actually, pretty much anything - and Catullus, whose Lesbia poems are pretty famous classically. Literature, Electra, Hippolytus, Antigone, the Bacchae, Medea, children of Heracles, and so forth. If you check out the classics section in say, Waterstones, they generally have classical literature.

ReputationRep:
    Enough latin poets!

Latin; Plutarch, Caesar, Livy, Marcus Aurelius.
    Greek; Euripidies, Aristophanes, Sophocles, Homer ( too hard? ).

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.