The Student Room Group

What happens if I fail GCSE Maths?

So, I did the AQA Foundation Linear Maths non-calculator exam this afternoon and let's just say I'm not feeling confident AT ALL. I think I might get an E. The thing is, in order to go to college, I need get 'Cs and above' in at least 5 subjects. Fortunately, I think my Art, English Language, English Literature and Religious Studies exams went well and I should hopefully get 'Cs and above' in those subjects. I also feel confident that I'll get a good grade in Sociology (C or maybe a B0. I'm doing two BTEC courses: ASDAN and Science, and I'm expected to pass both. I also think my Citizenship and IT exams went well but I'm unsure whether I'll pass those subjects.

I want to study Art, Media Studies and English Language & Literature at college but seeing as I haven't done so well in the Maths exam, will I have to do GCSE Maths at college and will it cost a huge amount of money to do so. I KNOW it's incredibly important to pass Maths but I just don't think I've managed to get a C.

My college sent me this email:
Usually if the student has 5 A-C grades for their GCSE including English (not maths) we do allow the students to take A levels but they cannot do an A levels where Maths grade C/B is required. At the end of the day it will be up to the teacher’s discretion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you fail Maths, you will fail life. Maths is the key to success :wink:
Original post by Kwaku_96
So, I did the AQA Foundation Linear Maths non-calculator exam this afternoon and let's just say I'm not feeling confident AT ALL. I think I might get an E. The thing is, in order to go to college, I need get 'Cs and above' in at least 5 subjects. Fortunately, I think my Art, English Language, English Literature and Religious Studies exams went well and I should hopefully get 'Cs and above' in those subjects. I also feel confident that I'll get a good grade in Sociology (C or maybe a B0. I'm doing two BTEC courses: ASDAN and Science, and I'm expected to pass both. I also think my Citizenship and IT exams went well but I'm unsure whether I'll pass those subjects.

I want to study Art, Media Studies and English Language & Literature at college but seeing as I haven't done so well in the Maths exam, will I have to do GCSE Maths at college and will it cost a huge amount of money to do so. I KNOW it's incredibly important to pass Maths but I just don't think I've managed to get a C.

Usually if the student has 5 A-C grades for their GCSE including English (not maths) we do allow the students to take A levels but they cannot do an A levels where Maths grade C/B is required. At the end of the day it will be up to the teacher’s discretion.

My sister had to redo it in Sixth form, she had a couple of Maths lessons a week up until November when she sat it again, and she ended up passing then :smile: So I suppose that's an option as she needed at least a C to do her A levels :smile: Good luck :biggrin:
Don't worry about a thing, as the email already points out you only need 5 GCSEs at a C or above to enrol for A levels. Since your chosen A level subjects are not maths related and do not require maths, it is not needed. Universities often require passes in the three core subjects though: Science, Maths and English so it's best to have the three. You can resit the maths exam in November along side your A levels. At least that was the case at my college.

Stop worrying :smile:
Reply 4
They'll either make you resit it at college, or just tell you that it doesn't matter. You're not taking any subjects with maths elements, so they probably won't mind too much. You'll also probably have the chance to resit it in college, if you want to, probably advisable if you're planning on going to university.
Your other grades make up for it, so I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by lohoj

as a keen mathematician i highly disagree with this, not only have you lowered her self esteem but have implied that maths is a way of life,:mad: no...maths is a PART of life!! and life does not revolve around maths!!! AMBITION is the key to success.
Reply 6
Original post by Kwaku_96

In today's day and age, Universities are increasingly requesting certain GCSEs, namely normally English or Maths at a pass if they do (and note that I say "if", obviously a lot of University courses still don't specify any GSCEs).

It's common myth to assume English and Maths GCSEs open certain doors, or also close them if you don't have them. Most people who fail English or Maths GCSE and wish to go on to University tend to retake them.

I know someone who didn't pass Maths or English, but has gone on to do a plumbing apprenticeship, so he doesn't and hasn't needed them. If you think you might, I'd consider retaking Maths GCSE. If it was something like Art or History or a language etc I'd say just forget it, but Maths (and English) can be important.
Original post by lohoj

A rather optimistic approach here :P But you are completely correct. Maths has always been the subject to define the ones who revise all day but have no general knowledge to those who can use their brain and apply their knowledge. Some of my friends revise 24/7 but fail at all the questions that actually require them to USE THEIR BRAIN. And then they complain that it wasn't in what they revised. I like exams where you have to think in them and not just spurt out things you remember.
Just resit it at college and if you want to do a subject that requires Maths, just get your GCSE and do an extra year at college? It's very important though, so resitting it is probably the best thing you could do. You might not have done as bad as you think, so just wait until Results Day and then decide.
Original post by mooooo.nisah
AMBITION is the key to success.

So someone without any qualifications or any experience can succeed at life?
You're wrong. There is a direct correlation these days with people with high paid jobs and their grades achieved. It can all be denoted by a simple formula: the better your qualifications = the more likely you are to get a better job. This is general and don't tell me something like "what about person-x who is now a million-air and had no qualifications," because 99% of the time this will not be the case. It's a simply one off, and you can't purposely do nothing hoping you will get luck in your later life. Yes ambition is an element which helps, but in reality it is all down to the qualifictions. Qualifictaions is the "key" and ambition helps.

My advice would be to resit. Maths is important.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Genius Professor
So someone without any qualifications or any experience can succeed at life?
You're wrong. There is a direct correlation these days with people with high paid jobs and their grades achieved.

oh so you think all the clever people just wait with there amazing grades to attain a better job, no ambition drives their passion to become whatever they want, and ambition drives there will to do amazing in the exams!
so again for the last time, ambition is key! :smile:
Original post by mooooo.nisah
oh so you think all the clever people just wait with there amazing grades to attain a better job, no ambition drives their passion to become whatever they want, and ambition drives there will to do amazing in the exams!
so again for the last time, ambition is key! :smile:

No, you have misinterpreted what I was saying. I'm not saying that ambition isn't a required element. The point I'm making is that one must first have the qualifications. Ambition will only help if you have the qualifications. When you apply for a job, almost every time the first thing they do is look at the grades and then only after that if you have satisfied it then they look for the ambition and extra qualities. So, yes if you have satisfactory qualifications then ambition is they key. But first and foremost it's the qualifications that matters. Hence the qualifications are more important :smile:

I've seen people with great qualifications and hardly any ambition with good jobs. You almost never see people with no qualifications with good jobs, even if they have all the ambition in the world!
(edited 11 years ago)
It's likely you'll be placed to retake the exam during college/sixth form :smile:
I am taking an apprenticeship but I know I have failed maths will the effect me and my oppuntuntity to have this apprenticeship
very mean reply as some people just cannot do maths!!!!
Reply 15
Hi, I did GCSE maths egsam and I got D. Did I pass?
Original post by inga1972
Hi, I did GCSE maths egsam and I got D. Did I pass?

Any grade other than a U is a pass.
I have a question which is that I got In my AQA HIGHER SCA1HP and SCA2HP 223 in total so how many marks is that and how many do I need for a C? And I got 77 marks for the first paper which is (128 UMS) and 91 marks for the second paper which is 160 UMS but that adds up round 297? Why does it say 223?
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo
I have a question which is that I got In my AQA HIGHER SCA1HP and SCA2HP 223 in total so how many marks is that and how many do I need for a C? And I got 77 marks for the first paper which is (128 UMS) and 91 marks for the second paper which is 160 UMS but that adds up round 297? Why does it say 223?

You couldn't have got a raw mark of 91 in SCA2HP: the maximum is 90.
You need to clarify, from the information you've given, which marks are raw marks and which are UMS marks.
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
You couldn't have got a raw mark of 91 in SCA2HP: the maximum is 90.
You need to clarify, from the information you've given, which marks are raw marks and which are UMS marks.

How do I know what a raw mark or USM mark is?

Quick Reply