My red hair dye keeps fading to brown! :(

Watch
miss_p
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My natural hair is black, but it's been bleached a few times so the natural pigment is gone. I usually dye my hair with Garnier Nutrisse in shade 5 - Mocha. I fancied a change so decided to try red! So I used Garnier Nutrisse again, this time shade 6.60 - Fiery Red. It came out quite red at the ends (as my hair was lighter there to begin with) but it didn't last; the next time I washed it, it just looked kinda brown- more like a mahogany colour.

So I dyed my hair red again on Friday- this time I used Schwarzkopf Live Colour XXL Foam in shade 488 - Cranberry Kick. It came out a nice deep red (what I was originally after, kinda like how Cheryl Cole used to have it). I've washed it today and it's just lost the red intensity- again! And I'm using a L'oreal colour protecting shampoo

Why is this happening and what can I do?

I'm tempted to use Colour B4 and then use a red dye AGAIN, and hopefully the colour will come out properly red and won't fade to brown. Would this work? Or is it best to go to a salon?

I would just go for it, but this will be the 3rd time I use Colour B4 and you're not supposed to exceed that many times. So what can I do when I want to return to Mocha brown? Would it just go straight over the red and still come out alright?
sammy-lou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The brown should go on fine over the red, but maybe go to your hairdresser if you really have your heart set on red!

I had some trouble with keeping mine red when I first started dying it that colour, but it's fine now. I know this sounds silly but are you sure it really is coming out? When you first dye it red the colour tends to be quite bright and intense but that will rarely stay that way unfortunately, unless you have a really light hair colour naturally. It will lose the brightness after a couple of washes but if you stand under the light does the red really not still show up nicely?

I use a range of different dyes - the L'oreal dyes are quite good. Try not to get the 10 minute ones if possible because leaving it on for ten minutes is not long enough; don't be scared to go a little over the time stated on the box if you think you need to - though obviously use your common sense there!

Some people's hair just takes better to dye than others. Also bleaching your hair does totally wreck it, so you might actually be safer going to a hairdresser to get it done the first time round.
kayleigh.jean
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've been dying my hair red and purple/red for about 2 years now, and my hair does hold it pretty well - naturally mid-dark brown but it naturally has quite a bit of red.
With red, the first few washes will see the intensity fade a bit because the dye doesn't all come out in the first wash, so that doesn't mean you're losing all the colour!
Mine tends to last a few weeks being intense, then gradually fades out to a reddy-brown. The best dyes I've found have been L'Oreal - in particular Feria; it smells gorgeous and the colours last really well! The P37 Plum Power is a lovely shade, and because of the shade it is it lasts for the longest I've found, although currently I'm on P48 Purple Power and, although the purple side faded out within two weeks, it's quite a red dye so my hair's not faded too much in the past month! The scarlet one comes out well too. The L'Oreal casting creme gloss that Cheryl Cole promotes is alright, the colours aren't as intense as Feria but they lasted pretty well; mine stayed red for a while. Also, leave it on for the maximum time to give it more time to work.
The only problem with Colour B4, aside from it not smelling very nice, is that Schwarzkopf Live Colour XXL can stop it from working as well (contains silicone which prevents the Colour B4 from removing all colour) and your hair goes to the lightest shade that the dye's made it go (I went ginger...) and I found that it didn't improve how the red held, nor the colour itself.
Hope that helps!
ScottCornwall
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi there, try pre-pigmenting the hair and then applying your red colourant.

Using either Colour B4 or Decolour Remover will not really help this issue and I will explain why. When hair has been bleached the middle of the hair has been emptied of pigment. Red colour molecules are very small and if they have nothing to 'attach to' they rattle around inside the hair and with every wash (as the cuticle opens and water flows in) the red pigment molecules will escape.

If you removed the colour you are effectively emptying the hair out again which is the opposite to what you need to do.

With Pre-pigmenting the hair, you apply a temporary colour molecule to it (usually in red). This will fill the inside of the hair. If you then colour immediately with a permanent red shade the permanent colour molecules will tend to 'connect' over the top of the artificial molecules and the middle of the hair fills and stands more chance of being trapped inside.

I'd suggest using Colour Restore Deep Red to pre-pigment and the try using one of the Garnier Reds to as the subsequant permanent colour. You should see a vibrant red. If you notice the colour slipping in the future you can rinse through more Colour Restore Deep Red to top up the pigment levels and fill any gaps without needing to re-colour.

I can try and give you more advice on this one (here) or you can catch me on the Facebook page (Scott Cornwall Hair Expert) if I miss your reply (as I sometimes do on this forum unfortunetly).

Hope that helps

Regards

Scott
miss_p
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by ScottCornwall)
Hi there, try pre-pigmenting the hair and then applying your red colourant.

Using either Colour B4 or Decolour Remover will not really help this issue and I will explain why. When hair has been bleached the middle of the hair has been emptied of pigment. Red colour molecules are very small and if they have nothing to 'attach to' they rattle around inside the hair and with every wash (as the cuticle opens and water flows in) the red pigment molecules will escape.

If you removed the colour you are effectively emptying the hair out again which is the opposite to what you need to do.

With Pre-pigmenting the hair, you apply a temporary colour molecule to it (usually in red). This will fill the inside of the hair. If you then colour immediately with a permanent red shade the permanent colour molecules will tend to 'connect' over the top of the artificial molecules and the middle of the hair fills and stands more chance of being trapped inside.

I'd suggest using Colour Restore Deep Red to pre-pigment and the try using one of the Garnier Reds to as the subsequant permanent colour. You should see a vibrant red. If you notice the colour slipping in the future you can rinse through more Colour Restore Deep Red to top up the pigment levels and fill any gaps without needing to re-colour.

I can try and give you more advice on this one (here) or you can catch me on the Facebook page (Scott Cornwall Hair Expert) if I miss your reply (as I sometimes do on this forum unfortunetly).

Hope that helps

Regards

Scott
Hi,

Thanks for the informative reply! Interesting and helpful I will probably try this in a few days. Thanks again!
LittleDD
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Guess no one as said that Red hair dye fades faster out hair compare to other hair dyes, also can be the hardest to get out of the hair . If you are looking for bright red i would recommend using semi-per Manic Panic red or Directions hair dye over bleach hair dye. Also tip to help it last its to add little bit to your conditioner =)
FatCharlie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Red colour is the hardest colour to keep if you don't naturally got red pigments in your hair. It will take more colouring, more often to keep it there.
I'd recommend going to a hairdresser at start, and adding pigments to your hair since you've been dyeing it so much.

My natural hair colour is chestnut red/brown and it's quite easy for me to get long lasting red colour from dyeing it, but I have friends whom had the same issues as you.
ScottCornwall
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it's really easy to get out (because the molecule is so small) the issue with it being difficult to get out is due to cuticle staining. Especially if hair has been bleached a red hair colour (even Manic Panic or Directions) can stain the cuticle like red wine would stain white wool. This is what is diffcult to get out. In general, if the red is fading you'd have no problem getting it out as there is no staining on the hair.
Ocarinaoftime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is what I do to maintain my red hair

1. Wash your hair with cold water
2. Dry shampoo is your holy grail for red hair, this prolongs the colour in between washes, instead of washing daily or every second day, try doing it every 3 days and if you know you're not going to be doing something for a week try waiting 4 days in between washes, the dry shampoo makes your hair really nice anyway so you won't feel dirty and greasy - just be sure to wash elsewhere! xD
3. Deep condition your hair, they sell deep conditioner in packets for like 60p at sallys, keep it in damp hair for 20 minutes or cover your hair in it, put a plastic bag over and sleep with the deep conditioner on all night. Keeping your hair healthy is super important because the dye will take better to your hair.
4. Moroccan oil - this is really great, put it on the ends of your damp hair and it just absorbs and makes your hair super shiny and soft, it's not oily so it won't make your hair greasy either and it smells amazing.

and finally, start getting your hair dye from sallys, they have high quality dyes you won't get in store and they'll be so much better for your hair. I use Loreal Majicontrast in "red" with developer and you can use it on brown hair, no pre-bleaching needed! it's also permanent so for a red dye it does last pretty well. I can usually milk a month of colour from using the dye by doing all of the tips I suggested above. oh and my hair is naturally dark blonde so my hair went really bright red, putting that dye on brown hair won't make it as bright but it will absolutely go red.

EDIT: If you want the shade of Cheryl Coles, go into Sallys and look at the colour charts, you'll definitely get that shade!
Sakura-Chan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have exactly the same problem And funnily enough, I just used the exact same dye as you! :mmm: My hair is naturally dark but a while ago I had it bleached from black so that I could dye it gingery red, dye fades so fast it's unbelievable.

Colour Restore Deep Red sounds interesting though, I might try that!

I've read a lot of people mixing vegetable based dye in with their hair conditioner, and using that to top up the colour. Maybe you could try that? I don't know about you, but this is the kind of colour I'm going for, I just can't decide which dye to try out. I'm thinking either Manic Panic vampire red, or Directions rubine?

If anyone has any colour suggestions that'd be awesome!
fran.ha
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want bright red hair, you need bleach. You will only be able to achieve browny-red colours with box dyes because you're not lightening your hair enough to give the red a good base. Red dyes rely heavily on red 'stains' as well at the permanent dyes, this is why they look bright but wash out.

If you want BRIGHT red hair you have a few options:

Completely bleach your hair, and apply red all over. The lighter you bleach your hair, the brighter the red will be.
Obviously bleaching all over is very damaging for your hair, so you could go for the options of bleach bathing, though it will be a process that will involve many ginger between layers as you'll have to wait at least a week between bleaches.

Second option, if you want to bleach your hair slowly (thus retaining the quality and not damaging it) over several months, but without having to be ginger, I'd recommend using a highlighting creme as an all over application, with a strong developer. A product like bRed. This product is mixed with a developer (which comes in four strengths, 10, 20, 30 and 40. 40 would need to be used for very dark/black hair. 30 is usually sufficient.) The first time you apply the product, you'll get a nice red, but it won't be BRIGHT. However you can be happy with a red colour for 4-6 weeks and then apply again, and with each successive dye it will get brighter and brighter. The key behind this product is that it is actually bleaching your hair, but it's depositing dye too, and conditioning as well. Essentially you won't notice over 3 or 4 months that you're actually bleaching away your black hair to blonde, because you're covering it up with red!

I did this for a number of months. It started bright but still with brown undertones and the underside (where my hair was much darker) was pretty much mahogany.

Second application came out much brighter happier.

The above was done with 30 vol developer 4 weeks apart.

At this stage, essentially when you're happy with the level of red, you should stop using the product. This is what I didn't do. And the result was my hair started getting uneven. Darker areas faded out to orange, lighter areas faded to neon pink. It looked kinda crap after the first few washes because the colour was so uneven. Don't go this far, at the stage your hair is bright enough you're happy with it, it means your base is now light enough to carry off a good red. This means you essentially have blonde hair (as I discovered when I used ColourB4 to strip out all that red dye. Hooray! I've had red hair for 6 months and I haven't had to spent more than an evening looking blonde! Note: you don't have to use colour B4. I only did it as I never expected to be this blonde underneath!)

At this stage, your hair is blonde enough to take veggie conditioner based dyes such as Directions and Manic Panic. These dyes are great. They're not really dyes, they have vegetable colourings in them and are essentially conditioners. You slap them on, they're completely undamaging (and will in fact condition your hair!) so you can apply as much as you possibly want whenever you want.

I now wear Poppy Red by Directions on my hair, (with plum streaks through my fringe.) The maintenance is fairly low. Every 6 weeks, or as long as I can bear it, a friend bleaches out my dark roots using cheap bleach and 30 vol developer. Then we whack the Poppy Red on all over, leave it on for a few hours, and wash it all off again. If I want to look especially nice and bright one day, I pop a bit more on an hour before I'm going to get in the shower or something. Some people mix the dye with their conditioner so they're topping up every time they wash.

Having red hair is a massive change to your routine. I only wash my hair once a week now, I have to be careful not to touch it or run my hands through it too much lest it get greasy quickly. I have to carry an unbrella in case of rain, and my clothes often get rub off on them (but it always washes out!) I have pink bedsheets and pink towels to minimise rub-off, but I love it!

Sorry for the ridiculously long post, I have just been there and done that and thought it would be useful to impart some knowledge.
Ocarinaoftime
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fran.ha)
If you want bright red hair, you need bleach. You will only be able to achieve browny-red colours with box dyes because you're not lightening your hair enough to give the red a good base. Red dyes rely heavily on red 'stains' as well at the permanent dyes, this is why they look bright but wash out.

If you want BRIGHT red hair you have a few options:

Completely bleach your hair, and apply red all over. The lighter you bleach your hair, the brighter the red will be.
Obviously bleaching all over is very damaging for your hair, so you could go for the options of bleach bathing, though it will be a process that will involve many ginger between layers as you'll have to wait at least a week between bleaches.

Second option, if you want to bleach your hair slowly (thus retaining the quality and not damaging it) over several months, but without having to be ginger, I'd recommend using a highlighting creme as an all over application, with a strong developer. A product like bRed. This product is mixed with a developer (which comes in four strengths, 10, 20, 30 and 40. 40 would need to be used for very dark/black hair. 30 is usually sufficient.) The first time you apply the product, you'll get a nice red, but it won't be BRIGHT. However you can be happy with a red colour for 4-6 weeks and then apply again, and with each successive dye it will get brighter and brighter. The key behind this product is that it is actually bleaching your hair, but it's depositing dye too, and conditioning as well. Essentially you won't notice over 3 or 4 months that you're actually bleaching away your black hair to blonde, because you're covering it up with red!

I did this for a number of months. It started bright but still with brown undertones and the underside (where my hair was much darker) was pretty much mahogany.

Second application came out much brighter happier.

The above was done with 30 vol developer 4 weeks apart.

At this stage, essentially when you're happy with the level of red, you should stop using the product. This is what I didn't do. And the result was my hair started getting uneven. Darker areas faded out to orange, lighter areas faded to neon pink. It looked kinda crap after the first few washes because the colour was so uneven. Don't go this far, at the stage your hair is bright enough you're happy with it, it means your base is now light enough to carry off a good red. This means you essentially have blonde hair (as I discovered when I used ColourB4 to strip out all that red dye. Hooray! I've had red hair for 6 months and I haven't had to spent more than an evening looking blonde! Note: you don't have to use colour B4. I only did it as I never expected to be this blonde underneath!)

At this stage, your hair is blonde enough to take veggie conditioner based dyes such as Directions and Manic Panic. These dyes are great. They're not really dyes, they have vegetable colourings in them and are essentially conditioners. You slap them on, they're completely undamaging (and will in fact condition your hair!) so you can apply as much as you possibly want whenever you want.

I now wear Poppy Red by Directions on my hair, (with plum streaks through my fringe.) The maintenance is fairly low. Every 6 weeks, or as long as I can bear it, a friend bleaches out my dark roots using cheap bleach and 30 vol developer. Then we whack the Poppy Red on all over, leave it on for a few hours, and wash it all off again. If I want to look especially nice and bright one day, I pop a bit more on an hour before I'm going to get in the shower or something. Some people mix the dye with their conditioner so they're topping up every time they wash.

Having red hair is a massive change to your routine. I only wash my hair once a week now, I have to be careful not to touch it or run my hands through it too much lest it get greasy quickly. I have to carry an unbrella in case of rain, and my clothes often get rub off on them (but it always washes out!) I have pink bedsheets and pink towels to minimise rub-off, but I love it!

Sorry for the ridiculously long post, I have just been there and done that and thought it would be useful to impart some knowledge.

There is actually a way to get bright red hair without damaging your hair with bleach, This is my exact hair colour
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Nx8r6-FDEn...t-red-hair.jpg

All you need is Loreal Majicontrast in Red, it will go on brown hair, I've used it on my natural dark blonde hair and also on my dyed medium brown hair and both created the same results.

http://www.coolblades.co.uk/loreal-majicontrast.html

It's literally the best dye I have ever used and I've been almost every colour. I honestly can't praise it enough
fran.ha
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ocarinaoftime)
There is actually a way to get bright red hair without damaging your hair with bleach, This is my exact hair colour
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Nx8r6-FDEn...t-red-hair.jpg

All you need is Loreal Majicontrast in Red, it will go on brown hair, I've used it on my natural dark blonde hair and also on my dyed medium brown hair and both created the same results.

http://www.coolblades.co.uk/loreal-majicontrast.html

It's literally the best dye I have ever used and I've been almost every colour. I honestly can't praise it enough
L'Oreal MajiContrast is the exact same product as bRed except more expensive for a smaller bottle.

You also are damaging your hair with bleach. The product is mixed with developer. It's just red bleach, essentially.
Ocarinaoftime
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fran.ha)
L'Oreal MajiContrast is the exact same product as bRed except more expensive for a smaller bottle.

You also are damaging your hair with bleach. The product is mixed with developer. It's just red bleach, essentially.
I would disagree with this to an extent, there can't be THAT much bleach, I've been using this for 3 years now and my hair is really quite healthy and I don't go overly out of my way to take care of it, I'm sure if it was just red bleach my hair would be on my pillow when I wake up in the morning and it's not, especially since at times, I've only went 2 weeks in between dyes.

My point really was that no pre bleaching is needed, the dye has a high degree of lift and therefore you don't have to damage it more by bleaching then putting the dye on, that is all
fran.ha
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ocarinaoftime)
I would disagree with this to an extent, there can't be THAT much bleach, I've been using this for 3 years now and my hair is really quite healthy and I don't go overly out of my way to take care of it, I'm sure if it was just red bleach my hair would be on my pillow when I wake up in the morning and it's not, especially since at times, I've only went 2 weeks in between dyes.

My point really was that no pre bleaching is needed, the dye has a high degree of lift and therefore you don't have to damage it more by bleaching then putting the dye on, that is all
It's bleach. Trust me. I'm naturally dark brunette and after using MajiContrast and then removing that red overtone my hair was blonde. There is no way to change your hair colour like that without bleach, it's impossible. I'm not saying MajiContrast and bRed are bad products at all, for bleaches they are incredibly nourishing. I preferred bRed in the end as it is exactly the same product but works out a quarter of the price.
Carpo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hiya my moms a hairdresser, so i kinda know the basics.
I've recently dyed my hair red too and so i'm just saying what she told me,
my hair is naturally light blonde, but i bleached it to a white/grey colour, and then got bored and dyed it red.
The bleach makes your hair porous and so, the bleach and your hair will actually absorb the red. This doesn't make it red, it makes it fade!! iv'e washed my hair twice and its pink.
She said the only way to combat this is just to keep re-dying it, and eventually your hair will hold the colour. Its a pain and could take quite a few dyes, but i'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.
I used a Clynol professional red colour first, which my mom got for me, but i used the live XXL colour in real red, and i preferred that a lot better!
So don't lose patience, it may take a while!!
Sophyla
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was red for a year or so, and I just dyed mine regularly. Red us the most difficult colourto keep so it just doesnt last, also the brown will not just cover the red, trust me. I ended up having to go really dark to cover it and note my hair is black (which I actually like ) so yeah, I would go to a salonboth for the red anf to go back to brown as well
(Sorry about typos, I'm on my phone )
Barbara Fleming
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ive just put a red dye ( my hair is already dyed red) but the bright red I've just put on doesn't look right can I apply another red dye on now ( 2 hours since I've dyed my hair )
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Barbara Fleming)
Ive just put a red dye ( my hair is already dyed red) but the bright red I've just put on doesn't look right can I apply another red dye on now ( 2 hours since I've dyed my hair )
This thread is six years old, genius.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads