Being mixed raced and feeling an outcast Watch

gameofthrones
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,

First post

I have pretty much my entire life felt outcasted simply due to my mixed heritage. I am half Irish (father) and half Indian (mother). Two pretty different cultures, apart from the fact that they both drink ridiculous amounts of alcohol... yes Indian punjabi for you Indians out there.

I just don't know where the **** I fit in. My skin is a milky tea kind of colour and I guess I look more asian/mediteranian than I do Irish, apart from my ginger beard.
I guess what I am trying to say is that when I'm with Asians I feel I can relate simply because I look more similar to them. Maybe it's just in my head but thats how I feel.

When people look at me they only see the "Asian" looking boy and I guess I get disheartened because I feel I have been alienated away from my Irish heritage. I mean a brown guy entering a full on Irish pub and then the stares ect.

Anyone else who is mixed raced can shed some light on how they dealt with neglecting one part of your heritage for another?

Thanks
stargirl63
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I mixed race with a lot of things, literally loads of things, Indian, Bajan, Irish, Spanish, Burmese (and a few others).

I find it difficult fitting in because of a number of reasons, I'm born in India, so have Indian heritage, yet I don't speak Hindi, and I'm Catholic. I don't seem to fit in anywhere because I eat Indian food, watch American TV and listen to Caribbean music. It's difficult when my Indian friends ask me to watch a Bollywood film with them, or my white friends ask me to go to a gig with them and stuff. So I feel like I can never really fit in anywhere perfectly.

Inbox me, I think you may be able to understand where I'm coming from, cause I have felt like this as well.
Snagprophet
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My aunt is mixed race. Indian father, Italian mother. I don't think she felt like an outcast on the basis of having parents from those other countries. Big Meatloaf fan, though. xD
ellieHA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
honestly the best way to tackle the funny looks is to ignore it. if other people have a problem with you they can deal with it themselves, and if they ask you about it then you can answer back that you do belong (for example) in an irish pub!

with fitting in with friends, that's just who you get on well with. don't worry about your skin colour or you will let other people make you feel conscious of it too.
Joe909
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ginger beard ? Trolololol
Alexok
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Where do you live? In london its normal for anyone of any race to just be friends, why does it have to be different. Im mixed race and just have friends with all different skin colours.. You dont just make friends because they have te same skin colour as you lol
chocolatechoco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gameofthrones)
Hi guys,

First post

I have pretty much my entire life felt outcasted simply due to my mixed heritage. I am half Irish (father) and half Indian (mother). Two pretty different cultures, apart from the fact that they both drink ridiculous amounts of alcohol... yes Indian punjabi for you Indians out there.

I just don't know where the **** I fit in. My skin is a milky tea kind of colour and I guess I look more asian/mediteranian than I do Irish, apart from my ginger beard.
I guess what I am trying to say is that when I'm with Asians I feel I can relate simply because I look more similar to them. Maybe it's just in my head but thats how I feel.

When people look at me they only see the "Asian" looking boy and I guess I get disheartened because I feel I have been alienated away from my Irish heritage. I mean a brown guy entering a full on Irish pub and then the stares ect.

Anyone else who is mixed raced can shed some light on how they dealt with neglecting one part of your heritage for another?

Thanks
I think you may be over thinking it a little bit. I am half French and half Bengali and I guess in my head I see myself as fully French, fully Bengali and fully British all at the same time (I hope that makes some kind of sense). But more than anything you're you, and you'll benefit from trying to stop assuming that people just see you as Asian. You don't need to push yourself into a certain group because really you're just an individual
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gameofthrones)
Hi guys,

First post

Thanks
lol. Yeh. When I enter an Irish Pub...I get the same looks. Especially when it is outside Dublin and it is in the middle of nowhere. They just don't see many brown people, that is all.
stargirl63
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People need to start getting used to it to be honest. The whole world is mixing nowadays. Be proud of who you are where you come from, no matter how many different places that may be.
katyness
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel exactly how you feel but my situation is different. My mum is a mix of Indian, white and black and my dad is fully black but I was born and raised in Portugal in an all white area.
I live in the UK now but to this date I feel intimidated by black people and I don't have any black female friends just male. But I've got loads of white friends and about 2 asians (there is hardly any asians in Portugal).
Mz-Nmh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Try being of 4 different races. To be honest, it's quite difficult to maintain your culture when living in a western society. It's best to just be yourself and you don't need to 'fit' into a culture because culture doesn't take you anywhere in life. Well that's my opinion, I'm sure many people would disagree, including my parents.
ranni09
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm half indian from my father and half irish from my mother, i love my skin colour! Im so proud of it and it wouldn't make me who i am today if it wasn't for it! When people ask me 'what am i' as in 'what race are you' i tell them and their so shocked as i don't look indian at all, it's just because i'm tanned, people think im italian, spanish etc. Be happy with your skin colour and embrace it because it makes you an individual!
LoveLondon81
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know this is an old post but I had to write something.
Be proud of who you are. I'm indian, engaged to an Irishman and our children will be beautiful and unique, and lucky to have parents like us! I think you feel that way because you're overthinking it. I walk into Irish pubs all the time with my partner and they are such friendly people when you get to know them (as you'll know!)
Be confident and hold your head up high, no one should 'fit' into any group, take charge and be friendly with everyone and the rest will follow.
I was shy for years, but 'acting' confident actually led to believe I am! I hope you're doing well now.
pagorai
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You guys are gorgeous though...sometimes i envy y'all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Jesus Mary and Ganesh, Indian Irish people, thought I was the only one :P. Got to love going to Italy and people thinking you're Italian (or Spain, or Turkey, or even Egypt if you're very dark). Do any of you speak any Irish/Indian languages?
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm half Indian and I know how you feel!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dilzo999
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lol Ginger beard, just shave and you'll be fine .
Twelshy96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Didn't think there was many other irish Indian people lol, its never really bothered me to be fair, unless I tell people they think I'm Spanish or sometimes Chinese because of my dark hair.... but **** what anyone else thinks as long as you've got your friends and family it don't really matter what people think.
archiibald
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
kind of relatable i am half irish and half indian and half italian. i mostly look italian with my messy hair and the way i say certain words, i do look irish with my skin color but i have not seen any indian features apart from the fact that i am still growing so might find out later
Proxenus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by archiibald)
kind of relatable i am half irish and half indian and half italian. i mostly look italian with my messy hair and the way i say certain words, i do look irish with my skin color but i have not seen any indian features apart from the fact that i am still growing so might find out later
Slide in my dms
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.22%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.81%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (117)
23.45%
No, I chose not to (145)
29.06%