The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont know when this was posted but i am in 2019 and i'm 16 currently and my older sister is 21. I can so relate to this as a matter of fact i was searching google to find others who may suffer with what i deal with and i found ur post. I live with my parents and her my elder brother moved out noone but me in my family wants anything to do with him.My sister has always been hateful since i was young she is incredibly selfish when my brought me home from the hospital she said 'I asked for a puppy not her', i also have a little sister now as well who is 4 yrs and when my mom was pregnant she made horrible remarks telling her 'Alluyh done ready poor and want to bring a next child in this chaos'. My dad is the only one that works and has trouble making ends meet and he made sure to give her a good education so she cud help us out of poverty. She has a job now so he no longer borrows money because he has a daughter who can help him. After a month in that job, she is now selfish with her money. She hides her money is another bank account and my parents are now afraid to say anything to her and she does as she pleases. She knows that we rely on her for money and she takes advantage of that. Before she would say how she is selfish with her money because she gives them money but she is not allowed to go out freely. Now she has the opportunity to go out, and she is even worse her ego has expanded even more, she is the only one to go out with friends in the house not even my parents. And she feels superior because of that.She makes my life a living hell, she feels she can say whatever she want to me and the one time i say some she reply 'U forget i is the one that does give you money for school' with a smirk on her face. My mother hears everything she tells me and also says nun, she tells my mom whatever she pleases because she knows she can say **** to her and she will do nun, she always like to make fun of my litter sister because she cant talk as yet. Recently i said to her 'She can talk you idot' cuz i go so fed up of how nobody tells her anything and she replied saying 'Why you have to be like a jack in the box' and then mommy said 'Why u must tell she dat' in a calm tone and she replied 'If i go to cuss she lil *****in ass out u (my mother) will behave like a lil ****'. My mother then told me i was wrong FOR STANDING UP FOR MY OWN SISTER.I wish they cud put her out but sadly my father needs her money and my mom says she not putting out any of her children which i believe which is doing bad rather than good by showing her that u are desperate her ego expands more because she knows she can behave as she pleases and u will have no choice but to take it.I NEED her to move out because the situation gives me anxiety 24/7 i am not able to focus on my school work because i am always worried for my family. I have a major exam to write and i have to start studying but this situation at home is too much. I also have to deal with teachers at school comparing me to her and my peers who tell me my anxiety is not a real thing and dosent believe how horribly my life is. My mom also is afraid to hit my sister because of all the fights she has gotten into with her and plus my sister is way bigger than my mom. Because of this she takes out double of her anger on me to compensate for not being able to control my sister.I dont know how much of this i can take i will stab her one of these days because that is the only way my problem can be solved
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, I don't even really know where to begin with this... Sorry, it may be long but please read if you have time and can advise me..

I know this might sound like an awful thing to say, but my sister is ruining my family and the situation at home is making me depressed. I now enjoy work more than home because it is always so stressful and my sister argues with everyone, everyday. And I don't mean a small argument, I mean screaming, eastenders-style arguments. She looks down on everyone else and is incredibly self-centered, takes advantage of both my parents and is very disrespectful and nasty to them. This then makes me fight with her often as I can't stand seeing her being so rude to my mum and dad, who do so much for her. What's worse is that whenever anyone tries to confront her about her behaviour, she makes out that my mum (or whoever it is) is being nasty to her or is "bored" of her or something. Whenever anyone picks her up on something bad she has done, she starts WAILING and crying and even literally screaming sometimes.

She clearly has a serious issue but she is so insensitive, manipulative and spiteful that I am finding it incredibley hard to be sympathetic with her as I have put up with this situation for so many years and am tired. She was a bully to me as a child and has been jealous and hateful towards me more and more over the years and it's effecting my life as well as the rest of my family. Even when I was diagnosed with a mental issue of my own (BDD) two years ago, she used it against me, calling me ugly and deliberately bringing it up to make me feel ashamed and I feel like she keeps being forgiven for everything and that it is just getting worse and worse! She is very sharp-tongued and has barely any empathy for others (when my grandad died all she did was make nasty comments about him since she didn't like him.) and yet my parents are allowing it to carry on since they are worried about upsetting her further.

She over-reacts to everything and one time even punched the screen of our famly laptop, breaking the screen which cost £180. She then refused to pay for it meaning my parents had to. We don't have much money but she seems not to care about my parents at all, as long as she can do what she wants.

I personally think she has multiple issues. She is VERY jealous of me (and my brother, but less so) and hates it when I achieve anything, but goes out of her way to talk about her own talents, and is very pretentious and deliberately talks in an elaborate way, and acts like everyone else is stupid. She is attention-seeking, jealous, heart-less and aggressive but at the same time seems to think she is a victim of everybody else (and I can assure you that is not the case.) making it difficult to pull her up on her behaviour.

We are both students so neither of us can move out as we have no money, but I honestly feel like I would rather never be home that put up with it. But it devastates me that all my family have to live in such a miserable and stressful environment (especially my younger brother who is still a child) and it makes me frustrated and angry to the point of tears.

What should I do? Or what do you think my mum should do? I know she should see someone for help but I don't know if she would go, and I don't think my mum is strong enough to make her go or to speak up if they were to go together.

Any advise is welcome and I hope this post hasn't sounded mean but she really is the cause of so many issues in my family and it is ruining our relationships and our time together. Nothing is fun or relaxing at home any more and it is like we are all under her control. I want to move out but even that would not help anything as I know my family would still be stuck in the same situation. I also doubt she will ever leave home as she is so dependant on my parents and is also bad at holding down jobs (too many days off etc) and snobby about taking "ordinary" jobs so I can't see how she will get a job at all, since she won't just walk into an amazing one.

I just want her to grow up and stop having tantrums and being jealous, and I want her to realise all the things my parents do for her rather than just pointing out the "bad" things, which are VERY often extremely exaggerated.

Any advice would be amazing. Or even if someone has a similar problem. Thanks.

I know exactly how you feel. I used to have the same problems with my 17-year-old sister who was very violent, punching me and kicking me in the stomach over things like not letting her invite her druggie mates round for a houseparty whilst my parents are out. She quit college and finally got a job, but got sacked after hitting another employee because 'she was annoying'. She regularly stole either items or money from me, my younger sister and my parents and destroyed many things in the house including smashing down bedroom doors when we put locks on them to stop her stealing our stuff. Not only that but she was in with a bad crowd who attacked our house whenever they fell out with her over something. My Mum responded in the same way your Mum does.

All I can suggest is trying to persuade your parents to kick her out. She's 20 which is old enough to live on her own and she may not have the money for her own place but she can get housing benefit and jobseeker's or income support so it's not like she'll be unable to live. It'll just be a crappy way to live and hopefully that'll make her realise and grow up, and if not at least she's not home anymore. Luckily we've managed to get rid of my sister even though my Mum was reluctant to kick her out because she's still her daughter. I do feel bad for wanting her out but she's now got herself on benefits because of being kicked out so she's able to support herself and I just keep reminding myself that she's brought it on herself.

I would perhaps try suggesting it to any siblings/your Dad/other family members who would agree with you and then all going to your Mum and reassuring her that your sister can claim benefits when she's kicked out etc. Also if she brings up the "she's still my child" thing like my Mum did remind her that so are you (and any siblings) and she needs to consider your wellbeing too and tell her how much this is affecting you. If your sister is kicked out be prepared for your Mum feeling guilty and needing reassurance, she will probably be tempted to change her mind and ask your sister to come back home but it needs to be your sister who asks to come back because then she doesn't have the power over you to behave the way she did before.

I know it’s been 7 years since you posted this. But I felt like I was reading my life story.

we have been kicked out of several homes after my sister destroyed things in our homes. She regularly verbally abuses my mum and threatens to kill herself or us. She has been like this for the last 10 years and I thought she would. Grow out of it but it’s just got worse. She’s 19 now

she failed her GCSEs, can’t hold down or find a job, is very promiscuous and unsafe with men, she is incredibly jealous of me (I’m the first in my family to go to uni and study Engineering).

we don’t really have visitors or family around because she destroys everything, and we are too embarrassed to explain.

my mum is visibly exhausted from all of this. We don’t have much money at all, we have other heavy family/financial issues and she’s ruined my family. My siblings are all apart now, do their own thing and don’t talk to each other.

i hate going back home from uni, and I try and stay at uni as long as possible because my family home is like HELL. I will hopefully graduate this summer, and I want to start a new life, new job, get a flat, and just cut her off but stay away from my family as they are all so miserable and make me feel depressed.

the police has been called to our multiple homes many times, as she threatens to kill herself, she’s physically assaulted my mum before, threatened my other brother etc..

my mum is still adamant that is her daughter and she can’t just leave her stranded. But if she stays in my family home there is no way I will move back home after uni.

its like she is a devil child!!! She’s stolen a lot of my clothes, shoes, makeup etc ! Cut up my belongings, damaged things I’ve bought etc! I can’t bring nice things to my home because I fear she will break it when she gets upset!

how did it work out in the end for you?
Hi! So, i think you should just make her sit down with you in a separate room, just the two of you, and talk. Tell her how her behavior is affecting everyone. Don't let her speak until you're done. Force her to shut up and listen for once, and talk about how horrible she's being. Let her know how you feel. If she doesn't accept it, tell everyone to ignore her for some time. Make her least favorite dishes. Treat your little brother with love and show her what she's missing out on.
All these what you have written sounds so familiar with me. My sister is 34 and i am 30 she has also been behaving similarly and blames me for everything. I am fed up of her hatred towards me. Her husband also blames me for everything nowadays even when its not my fault. They some how create issues and humiliate my mum and dad and then target me again.My sister has been doing this from many years but now her husband also supports her in a negative way. What to do.
Reply 44
Original post by Sarah Andrews01
All these what you have written sounds so familiar with me. My sister is 34 and i am 30 she has also been behaving similarly and blames me for everything. I am fed up of her hatred towards me. Her husband also blames me for everything nowadays even when its not my fault. They some how create issues and humiliate my mum and dad and then target me again.My sister has been doing this from many years but now her husband also supports her in a negative way. What to do.

Disown your sister! Sometimes you will find that "brothers and sisters from another mother" are way better than your own biological brother or sister!
Sometimes one has to accept this in life.
Your sister has, for years, had no regard or respect for you at all. You know she "hates" you, right?
But you actually need to realise that you can put a stop to her abuse today!
And sometimes people use "culture" as an excuse to behave in the most disgusting ways!
(edited 3 years ago)
Do y’all parents not stand their ground? My mom would slap the literal **** out of me and my sister if we were talking to them nasty or yelling around the house like that. To people saying she’ll grow out if it, that doesn’t justify it. She should’ve never been doing all that in the first place. When parents discipline their kids correctly they know what to do and what not to do. I’m a teen now and this is something I wouldn’t even dare to do. Maybe she has mental problems, that’s all I can think of for her outrageous behavior.
8 year old thread!
Reply 47
Do y’all parents not stand their ground? My mom would slap the literal **** out of me and my sister if we were talking to them nasty or yelling around the house like that. To people saying she’ll grow out if it, that doesn’t justify it. She should’ve never been doing all that in the first place. When parents discipline their kids correctly they know what to do and what not to do. I’m a teen now and this is something I wouldn’t even dare to do. Maybe she has mental problems, that’s all I can think of for her outrageous behavior.

No, you are absolutely correct! Parental discipline gone missing!
And mental health issues is no excuse either because the parents should refer the matter to the social services and the gp for further support and advice. They should in no way put up with poisonous behaviour from their own kids!
Reply 48
Original post by paul514
8 year old thread!

yes, but the themes are still current and raw for some people!
Original post by mgi
yes, but the themes are still current and raw for some people!

The original poster has probably left the site, it’s ridiculous posting on 8 year old threads
wow, your sister is almost exactly like that. I'm 11, and she's 8- about to turn 9. She is so annoying and whenever she can't figure something out, she starts to scream, and with covid-19 around me, my mom and my dad, and my younger brother are all on meetings. She can't accept any criticism, and whenever anyone tries she either throws a huge temper tantrum or covers her ears. She bullies my younger brother because i think she is jealous of him because my younger brother miles is nice to him and he is so sweet. She is abusive, both physically and mentally, and when she's mad, she punches, kicks, screams, digs in to your skin, and occasionally bites. Whenever someone gets in a disagreement with her, if she's right, she rubs it in and is a total *****. If she's wrong, she gets mad and is even more annoying. she is also, selfish, rude, arrogant, and abusive. And whenever I can't ignore her I get in trouble :frown: . I'd just stay away from her, and be as distant as possible.
Reply 51
My sister does the exact same thing and turns it around on everyone. I was coming here for advice because the same thing is happening to me. I'm with you and I hope your situation gets better. Just keep yourself tall, don't engage, and show her how perfect you really are. My sister does everything you've described and is incredibly toxic, and my parents try to buy her love, leaving me looking poor against her rich lifestyle. I'm currently locked in my bedroom crying because of how bad she treats everyone. She lies about everything she does and is extremely physical. She also says I have everything easy and handed to me on a silver platter when I think I have it not great since I feel depressed a lot and anxious. Please help us both out.
Reply 52
Original post by Ayo129!
My sister does the exact same thing and turns it around on everyone. I was coming here for advice because the same thing is happening to me. I'm with you and I hope your situation gets better. Just keep yourself tall, don't engage, and show her how perfect you really are. My sister does everything you've described and is incredibly toxic, and my parents try to buy her love, leaving me looking poor against her rich lifestyle. I'm currently locked in my bedroom crying because of how bad she treats everyone. She lies about everything she does and is extremely physical. She also says I have everything easy and handed to me on a silver platter when I think I have it not great since I feel depressed a lot and anxious. Please help us both out.

How old is she? How old are you? Hopefully you can leave home someday? meanwhile call Childline if you feel really pee'd off!
Reply 53
my sister is so mean to everybody in our family except when she wants something, my mother and father are constantly having arguments about her and i feel caught between. she treats her friends like angles she calls me really hurtful names, thinks she is never wrong, and all she wants is to take and take and she never gives. she watches videos when she should be in school and when i tell her otherwise she makes it seem like I'm trying to make her give me a million dollars. she is tearing my family apart, my father doesn't know what to do my mom is crying and I'm so close to throwing her at the wall. she seems to hate everything and everybody except for one person. Billie eilish, my sister loves her, wants to be her one day i personally don't care for her music that much but my sister loves it. does anyine know what to do i really need help here pls.
Reply 54
Original post by CMB2846
my sister is so mean to everybody in our family except when she wants something, my mother and father are constantly having arguments about her and i feel caught between. she treats her friends like angles she calls me really hurtful names, thinks she is never wrong, and all she wants is to take and take and she never gives. she watches videos when she should be in school and when i tell her otherwise she makes it seem like I'm trying to make her give me a million dollars. she is tearing my family apart, my father doesn't know what to do my mom is crying and I'm so close to throwing her at the wall. she seems to hate everything and everybody except for one person. Billie eilish, my sister loves her, wants to be her one day i personally don't care for her music that much but my sister loves it. does anyine know what to do i really need help here pls.

how old is your selfish sister? your parents just need to set better boundaries and consequences for your sister's toxic behaviour. They are very weak and your sister knows it. Call Childline for help so that you can stay sane inside your family!
What kind of things does she make you do? Is there anyway I can help?
Do you want someone to talk to about this. I have a similar situation. Can I help in any way?
Okay, I don't even really know where to begin with this... Sorry, it may be long but please read if you have time and can advise me..

I know this might sound like an awful thing to say, but my sister is ruining my family and the situation at home is making me depressed. I now enjoy work more than home because it is always so stressful and my sister argues with everyone, everyday. And I don't mean a small argument, I mean screaming, eastenders-style arguments. She looks down on everyone else and is incredibly self-centered, takes advantage of both my parents and is very disrespectful and nasty to them. This then makes me fight with her often as I can't stand seeing her being so rude to my mum and dad, who do so much for her. What's worse is that whenever anyone tries to confront her about her behaviour, she makes out that my mum (or whoever it is) is being nasty to her or is "bored" of her or something. Whenever anyone picks her up on something bad she has done, she starts WAILING and crying and even literally screaming sometimes.

She clearly has a serious issue but she is so insensitive, manipulative and spiteful that I am finding it incredibley hard to be sympathetic with her as I have put up with this situation for so many years and am tired. She was a bully to me as a child and has been jealous and hateful towards me more and more over the years and it's effecting my life as well as the rest of my family. Even when I was diagnosed with a mental issue of my own (BDD) two years ago, she used it against me, calling me ugly and deliberately bringing it up to make me feel ashamed and I feel like she keeps being forgiven for everything and that it is just getting worse and worse! She is very sharp-tongued and has barely any empathy for others (when my grandad died all she did was make nasty comments about him since she didn't like him.) and yet my parents are allowing it to carry on since they are worried about upsetting her further.

She over-reacts to everything and one time even punched the screen of our famly laptop, breaking the screen which cost £180. She then refused to pay for it meaning my parents had to. We don't have much money but she seems not to care about my parents at all, as long as she can do what she wants.

I personally think she has multiple issues. She is VERY jealous of me (and my brother, but less so) and hates it when I achieve anything, but goes out of her way to talk about her own talents, and is very pretentious and deliberately talks in an elaborate way, and acts like everyone else is stupid. She is attention-seeking, jealous, heart-less and aggressive but at the same time seems to think she is a victim of everybody else (and I can assure you that is not the case.) making it difficult to pull her up on her behaviour.

We are both students so neither of us can move out as we have no money, but I honestly feel like I would rather never be home that put up with it. But it devastates me that all my family have to live in such a miserable and stressful environment (especially my younger brother who is still a child) and it makes me frustrated and angry to the point of tears.

What should I do? Or what do you think my mum should do? I know she should see someone for help but I don't know if she would go, and I don't think my mum is strong enough to make her go or to speak up if they were to go together.

Any advise is welcome and I hope this post hasn't sounded mean but she really is the cause of so many issues in my family and it is ruining our relationships and our time together. Nothing is fun or relaxing at home any more and it is like we are all under her control. I want to move out but even that would not help anything as I know my family would still be stuck in the same situation. I also doubt she will ever leave home as she is so dependant on my parents and is also bad at holding down jobs (too many days off etc) and snobby about taking "ordinary" jobs so I can't see how she will get a job at all, since she won't just walk into an amazing one.

I just want her to grow up and stop having tantrums and being jealous, and I want her to realise all the things my parents do for her rather than just pointing out the "bad" things, which are VERY often extremely exaggerated.

Any advice would be amazing. Or even if someone has a similar problem. Thanks.

This sounds just like my sister lmao. I cut her out of my life and you should do the same.
Tell her that she has 1 month to show that she is a good girl or she is off to boarding school speaking of how old is she and you can give her more or less time to show or just sit her down and talk to her tell her that she just need to let it all out...:smile:
my twin sister is a stupid little spoiled brat yesterday she requested food at a restraunt had a tiny fraction of it then left the whole rest and we played tag with our cousins then i made a very simple joke which was these are the rules coz i said so then she said im not playing because the rules are stupid then i replied u can't take a joke so then she tries to scratch me then i defend myself by grabbing her then pushing her then she continues to attack i am making defensive moves my dad tells us to stop so i did then she looks at him at continues then dad walked in then grabbed me by the neck drops me on the floor twice and lets her walk away without punishment later dad aplogises but i am still mad at him because he made exuses and i still have the sting from the scratch right now. we're both 12 anyone know why she was so aggressive ?

Latest

Trending

Trending